[ Sat 23rd Jan ] v Aylesbury FC, KO 3pm SL1DC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

[ Sat 23rd Jan ] v Aylesbury FC, KO 3pm SL1DC AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 63 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Jan ] v Aylesbury FC, KO 3pm SL1DC AWAY

Post by sussexdiamond »

Should be a really tight game this one, but after Saturday who knows what we might do!!
They have the best home record in SLIC, only one loss. That defeat was just before Xmas to Kings Langley 0-3.
Scored 23 goals at home in 11 games and conceded 11. 6 of those goals came in one game v Ware back in October, so not usually prolific scorers.

They are the lowest scorers of the top ten and have one of the best defensive records (F36 A 22)

Why do they get lower crowds than Aylesbury United who play 10 miles away in Thame?
MarkH
The Staff
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

It may be for historical reasons ...

http://www.aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/history

and what looks like a few name changes along the way for Aylesbury ...

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/aylesbury ... 29282.html
Unofficial Real Bedford forum
https://realbedfordforum.uk/

Unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds forum
https://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

MarkH wrote:It may be for historical reasons ...

http://www.aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/history
But that's not the Club we're playing this Saturday.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

Aylesbury FC were always the lesser of the two clubs when I lived there, with United rising to FA Cup fame, playing the full England squad in a friendly and making it to the Conference, I lived a spit from Stocklake which is who Aylesbury FC were then.

It's all been turned on its head since United lost their ground with AFC now being the "premier" club of the town.

I remember watching United play at both Turnfurlong and Buckingham Road grounds, the former now a housing estate, the latter decaying the same as Nene Park!

Looking forward to returning to my home town to watch a match, but I'll always view the "proper" town team to be United, I hope they get back to the town soon - it's stupid that these two clubs can't pool resources and ground share !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

I meant to add, support wise there is nothing between them given that United have already played us at their place, as you can see:
image.jpg
image.jpg (151.62 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Pigman wrote:Aylesbury FC were always the lesser of the two clubs when I lived there, with United rising to FA Cup fame, playing the full England squad in a friendly and making it to the Conference, I lived a spit from Stocklake which is who Aylesbury FC were then.

It's all been turned on its head since United lost their ground with AFC now being the "premier" club of the town.

I remember watching United play at both Turnfurlong and Buckingham Road grounds, the former now a housing estate, the latter decaying the same as Nene Park!

Looking forward to returning to my home town to watch a match, but I'll always view the "proper" town team to be United, I hope they get back to the town soon - it's stupid that these two clubs can't pool resources and ground share !!
Do you have any local knowledge on parking in that area? I visited the ground early in 2012 and there were some real parking challenges, as the club car park was dedicated to players / officials, and local street parking was rather limited due to a lot of dropped kerbs. The verges were really soft at that time, and I can't expect them to be any better at the moment.
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

It's bad around there Tony, as you already know - there is Tesco half a mile or so down the road, but they do limit their parking times to 3 hours (I think) might be 2.

I'll be looking to park 15minutes walk or so from the ground, possibly in the Hayden Hill estate and walk over.

It's been 28 years since I lived in Aylesbury so my recent local knowledge in that particular area is shaky, but I know the estate near the ground has always been tight for parking.
limprib81

Post by limprib81 »

Sorry, hope you all don't mind me jumping on to your forum!

Look forward to welcoming you on Saturday, I can see parking is a concern, however across the road from our ground is a Doctors Surgery which has ample parking.

Also, please feel free to come into our club house before and after the game for a pint!

If you have any other questions about us or Saturday, just shout.

:good:
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

Thanks for the heads up - looking forward to it !!