Gearing Departs

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Gearing Departs

Post by bozzer »

AFC R&D Member No. 67
Everyweeker
Has Liked: 4 times

Re: Gearing Departs

Post by Everyweeker »

Damn, that is a real shame as would have liked to have seen him up against Step 4 defenders - think he would have thrived at the higher level.

A great player who has given us some great performances and memories in his stay.
Member Number: 21
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by Dowlo »

Genuinely gutted at this news! Out of all the attacking midfield threat we had Matt had it all, decent delivery from set pieces, good on the ball, not afraid to run at defenders and take them on, excellent assist rate, would chip in with some goals and not bad from the penalty spot either.

Obviously the decision has been taken out of the clubs hands and he has decided to leave due to travelling commitments etc and in Yaxley he has picked a fairly decent and friendly enough club to join. I suspect he would have carried his high level of performances into the league above, sadly we'll never know what impact he would of made. Wish him all the best at Yaxley, they have themselves an excellent player for UCL Premier level.

"UP AND DOWN THE WING HEAR THE RUSHDEN SING! VIVA MATT GEARING!!!"
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 46 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I agree with Dowlo, with business commitments Saturday and Sunday morning perhaps it's not too much of a surprise.

On a personal level I always enjoyed interviewing Matt.

Best of luck to him
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

This is really disappointing news. Matt is such a nice guy and has been a great player for us.
But I am not that surprised, I half expected him to not be on the original list. He has not been happy on the occasions when he was sidelined, under both Starms and Peaksy, and is clearly not happy to be bit part player again.

I wish him well and hope he has good season with Yaxley.
supersub

Post by supersub »

Might see him in Chiang Mai yet :) Lot of disappointed fans I expect hearing this news. SS
Posh Tart
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Posh Tart »

So very sorry to hear that Matty has left. He is such a nice guy and our loss is Yaxley's gain. I wish him all the best for the future.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by Olly »

Big shame that, I had hoped he'd be at the club for years and there's absolutely no reason why he couldn't have done very well in the SL with his ability which is much higher than the average player at these levels, a big loss to the team and the club :(
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

What a shame. Always added a bit of guile and craft to our attacking options but can understand his reasons for wanting to play nearer to his home which I understand is in Huntingdon. A genuine nice guy as well and always a pleasure to speak to. Best of luck Matt you will be missed.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Very disappointed that he wont join us in step 4, really gave his all for the club. I remember last season when he was out of favour and looked like he may depart, he stepped it up when given the chance and was a key player in helping win the league. Certainly the best set piece taker the club has had, he will be missed but good luck to him during the rest of his career.