Hypotheitcal Question - Would you watch...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.

Would you watch "Rushden and Irthlingborough Fans United" in 2011/12.

Yes, every game.
29%
Yes, sometimes.
38%
No, but I would follow the results and donate towards their costs.
29%
No, it's a stupid idea, stop wasting everyone's time.
5%

Total votes: 42

AndyKirkup
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Hypotheitcal Question - Would you watch...

Post by AndyKirkup »

Complete pie in the sky right now, but if there was a "Rushden and Irthlingborough Fans United", playing at a VERY low level next season (i.e. probably on a saturday but about as low as you can go) - would you watch them?

The aim of such a team would be to act as a focus for support and fundraising and build towards a 'proper' "AFC Rushden and Diamonds" club for the 2012-13 season.
Last edited by AndyKirkup on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondsFan

Re: Hypotheitcal Question - Would you watch...

Post by DiamondsFan »

Would give it a go. Couldn't possibly say whether I'd feel the same way I did about Diamonds but I wouldn't completely rule it out.
HiHoRushden&Diamonds

Post by HiHoRushden&Diamonds »

I'd follow the results and nothing else.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I can see the purpose of this idea - to get the focus needed - but it doesn't look too credible to me. Perhaps it would be better to have a season where a group of fans go "on loan" to either Raunds or Rushden & Higham - to keep the spirit together, to discuss the phoenix ideas in the bar before the game etc. Those who live further away could then attend the odd game - especially if one of those teams was playing in their area.
AndyKirkup

Post by AndyKirkup »

Formic wrote:I can see the purpose of this idea - to get the focus needed - but it doesn't look too credible to me. Perhaps it would be better to have a season where a group of fans go "on loan" to either Raunds or Rushden & Higham - to keep the spirit together, to discuss the phoenix ideas in the bar before the game etc. Those who live further away could then attend the odd game - especially if one of those teams was playing in their area.
But why give Raunds or Rushden and Higham all the gate receipts when we could save them (admittedly I'm only talking a couple of quid per adult here, but every little helps) for ourselves towards a 'proper' phoenix club?

Even with a small following it would be well worth doing. It would also give the fans a team to unite behond for next year, however lowly.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

AndyKirkup wrote:
Formic wrote:I can see the purpose of this idea - to get the focus needed - but it doesn't look too credible to me. Perhaps it would be better to have a season where a group of fans go "on loan" to either Raunds or Rushden & Higham - to keep the spirit together, to discuss the phoenix ideas in the bar before the game etc. Those who live further away could then attend the odd game - especially if one of those teams was playing in their area.
But why give Raunds or Rushden and Higham all the gate receipts when we could save them (admittedly I'm only talking a couple of quid per adult here, but every little helps) for ourselves towards a 'proper' phoenix club?

Even with a small following it would be well worth doing. It would also give the fans a team to unite behond for next year, however lowly.
Fair point - if you think you can get sufficient focus via that route then go for it - I'm not sure I'd find it worth a 40 mile round trip to watch that sort of football.
AndyKirkup

Post by AndyKirkup »

Formic wrote:Fair point - if you think you can get sufficient focus via that route then go for it - I'm not sure I'd find it worth a 40 mile round trip to watch that sort of football.
It might be worth a 40-mile round trip for the cameraderie and to stand on the same terrace with those whom you've shared so much though. It might be worth the 40-mile round trip to find that even after all that has passed, there's still somewhere in football that you belong.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

I voted sometimes, but I guess it depended how good a time I had and who else I know decides to go too - if I'm treking over from Bedford to stand on my own my interest would probably fizzle out if I'm honest. I'd give it a go though.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I couldn't spend a season watching football at that level. I love RDFC and will shed a tear tonight, but i'm not going to kid myself into thinking i'd actually go and watch what would effectively be a pub team.

I haven't made a final decision but I imagine i'll be up the Cobblers next season. I've said on here a million times why so no need to go over old ground. I'm a football fan first and foremost and i'm not just going to sit on my arse watching Soccer Saturday every week. I'll never refer to them as 'we', and i'll never feel the same way as I do/did about RDFC, but i'll probably be there. Failing that, i'll just find a different ground to go to each saturday.

If/when AFC RDFC takes its place in the UCL then i'll be there, however.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

I'd just like to take this opportunity to go over some old ground and call you a bastard for going to that place. You bastard! ;)

I would probably go to this new club every now and then but I would still be dreaming of an AFC in the UCL. I will probably consign myself to Soccer Saturday for a year unfortunately and hope and pray and do what I can to get AFCR&D up and running.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46