Merger?!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Merger?!

Post by bozzer »

Apparently the front page of the et says ladak and cousins have discussed a merger but that it would be for the fans to decide.

Putting aside the fact that the majority of the fans would not like it, it would also need investment which neither club has at the moment.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
PhilM2

Re: Merger?!

Post by PhilM2 »

If it saves too local clubs from closure then why not.

It is clear that since Max Griggs stopped pumping money into the club it has been unable to find a way of making itself financially viable. In the current UK economic climate, it seems that that is unlikely to get any easier, and there are less likely to be people able to pour their money into it to keep it going.

Max Griggs gave an amazing asset to the Rushden and Irthlingborough area, which has been a focal point for the love of football and sport in general. It was formed by the merger of Irthlingborough and Rushden clubs. If it can be saved by the merger with K*ttering then it should be done. The most important thing is that local football continues in the region. People shold put aside their differences for the benefit of future generations of football lovers, and unite behind their local team.

I know that many people will be angered by this possibility, but for me, the most important thing is to try to retain local level football, and not to let Max Griggs' legacy decay to nothing.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I think you might be standing on the terraces on your own.
Formic

Post by Formic »

bozzer wrote:Apparently the front page of the et says ladak and cousins have discussed a merger but that it would be for the fans to decide.

Putting aside the fact that the majority of the fans would not like it, it would also need investment which neither club has at the moment.
I quite agree. This seems like an over-hyped non-story from the ET who have crafted KC's comments last Tuesday into a lead story, when all both KC and IL want to do is get some publicity for their respective clubs' plight. I thought the ET were meant to be supporting our campaign - stories like this don't help, as it further confuses the situation and makes people wonder even more about what they might get for their money next season.
PhilM2

Post by PhilM2 »

Formic wrote:I think you might be standing on the terraces on your own.
nope. if there was no-one else there, then I would not be interested in being there on my own.

I simply prefer the idea of one club to neither club.

If R&DFC can survive on its own then that will be excellent, I'm not suggesting that merger is a wonderfull prospect. I just prefer the idea to closure.

I have supported RDFC for many years, and have bought my season ticket every year. Even when I moved to Paris in 2004 I came to every home game until 2008. In 2008 I moved to Blois, which was just that bit too far to come to every home game, but I have still bought a season ticket every year in order to support the club, even though last year I only managed to attend 3 games, for varrious unnavoidable reasons. I imagine that you can see from this that I am a genuine supporter, and want the club to continue.

In short. If the club can continue, great. If it cant, then local hatreds should be put asside in the interests of local football for future generations.
Formic

Post by Formic »

PhilM2 wrote:
Formic wrote:I think you might be standing on the terraces on your own.
nope. if there was no-one else there, then I would not be interested in being there on my own.

I simply prefer the idea of one club to neither club.

If R&DFC can survive on its own then that will be excellent, I'm not suggesting that merger is a wonderfull prospect. I just prefer the idea to closure.

I have supported RDFC for many years, and have bought my season ticket every year. Even when I moved to Paris in 2004 I came to every home game until 2008. In 2008 I moved to Blois, which was just that bit too far to come to every home game, but I have still bought a season ticket every year in order to support the club, even though last year I only managed to attend 3 games, for varrious unnavoidable reasons. I imagine that you can see from this that I am a genuine supporter, and want the club to continue.

In short. If the club can continue, great. If it cant, then local hatreds should be put asside in the interests of local football for future generations.
I don't doubt you are a genuine supporter, but there are a lot of us about - and I for one wouldn't support a merged club. As I don't have any links with Northants I can't comment on the need for local football at Conference level, but there are local alternatives - although I suspect suggesting to Poppies or Diamonds fans they go to Sixfields would be equally unpalatable.
JoshKTFC

Post by JoshKTFC »

Dont get me wrong, this would save both clubs, BUT the thing is if we merge together KTFC = dead
R&D = Dead, its simple really id rather keep the history and the community instead of creating a whole new club.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

Its admirable what you say Phil, and no-one is doubting your support of the club in anyway, you've been terrific - however, I can't share your feelings. I would rather see the club die that sully the good name of Rushden and Diamonds FC by joining with "them".

The trouble with this kind of story is it could seriously affect people buying season tickets etc, if they thought their money was going to be used to create a monster such as the ET describes, then they may decide to wait and see how it plays out, that means less money and more liklihood that we'll die anyway.

Irresponsible journalism at its best, or an attempt at foul play?

I'll state now, I will NEVER watch a side such as K*ttering Diamonds FC, I just couldn't stand on a terrace surrounded by people I don't respect.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Bedfordkev2

Post by Bedfordkev2 »

A non-story it may be but it probably shouldn't be! Of course it would be great if RD&FC were to survive on its own, thats what we are all striving for. However I would challenge any fan to to say that they have no doubts that the enormity of the task that faces us is achievable.

We are in the most dire situation and at this stage no option should be discounted. It may be that there is no real substance to Ladak's overtures but that doesn't mean that a merger on any terms should be dismissed without investigation. Putting all our efforts into raising money for the CVR leaves us few options if ultimately we fail. Time is not on our side!
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

Thats where we'll have to agree to disagree - if we fail, we've tried, but if we merge, we've failed to save what I want to save and created something I don't want at all. Its a personal opinion, and fans will be polarised in their views I'm sure, but I would not entertain the thought of a merged club, I wouldn't follow it, so why should I put anymore of my hard earned cash into saving it? At the moment its a non-story, if there seems to be any merit in it I'd feel very let down !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51