Ideal team for next season

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Ideal team for next season

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Ok, let's completely ignore our current problems and build a team capable of winning the Conference next season. What formation would you have, and what players would you bring in?
Here's mine;-
it's a 4 -4- 2 (sorry Justin ;) _

in goal ;- kuipers @ Crawley, good experienced keeper
right back ;- I'd probably stick with Miller, has goals in him and a decent cross
centre- halves ;- we need two, and I'd go for Prosser (who we had on loan), and Oshodi
left back;- I'd keep Jamie Day, but he must improve his decision making and get less bookings
right wing;- Jamie Cook @ Crawley, he'll be surplus to requirements there
midfield ;- Mark Byrne, tried and tested
midfield;- Lee Stevenson (Eastwood),
left wing- dunno bout this - any suggestions?
striker ;- Sam Smith, he's should be the next Mickey Nuttall
striker ;- Sean Marks (Braintree)
AFC R & D member number 34
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Ideal team for next season

Post by Cotty »

so you reckon Porter, Osano, Corcoran, Power, O'Connor, Huke, Millsy , Shariff, Johnson and Charles will all be leaving us?
oliv272
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by oliv272 »

Cotty wrote:so you reckon Porter, Osano, Corcoran, Power, O'Connor, Huke, Millsy , Shariff, Johnson and Charles will all be leaving us?
Power,O'Connor,Millsy,Sharif,Charles and Johnson should stay in my opinion, I couldn't care less about osano and Porter will leave.
FuriousHoon / Ollie
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Cotty wrote:so you reckon Porter, Osano, Corcoran, Power, O'Connor, Huke, Millsy , Shariff, Johnson and Charles will all be leaving us?
I'd certainly keep a few of those as part of the squad. Probably Power, O'Connor, Mills, Shariff, Johnson & Charles. The point of the post was to encourage people to join in with their selections, not to pick fault with mine :D
AFC R & D member number 34
oliv272
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by oliv272 »

I'd go with your team apart from a new LB to cover and replace Day every so often as he only seems to be able to play a few good games then goes crap for a bit like Osano
FuriousHoon / Ollie
DiamondEejit

Post by DiamondEejit »

Is Lee Stevenson a realistic target for us? Not picking holes in your selection, I think he'd be a great signing... But with that many goals from midfield, Have we got the funds to realistically compete for him? I'd have thought he'd attract league teams... What do people think?
"Reputations mean nothing here, come any where near me on that pitch and I'll kick you over the far stand."

♦Dale Roberts♦ - Forever and always Rushden's number 1
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

DiamondEejit wrote:Is Lee Stevenson a realistic target for us? Not picking holes in your selection, I think he'd be a great signing... But with that many goals from midfield, Have we got the funds to realistically compete for him? I'd have thought he'd attract league teams... What do people think?
Yea, i would have thought clubs in a better position than us and be able to offer him more money. JE should have nabbed him in the window
sheriff1993

Post by sheriff1993 »

Goal scoring midfielder from a lower league side... sounds like Joe Keehan... ;)
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

GK: Evans, Broadbent.
LB: Day and maybe a versatile defender as cover.
RB: Miller and Osano. Curtis had a good season last year but this year he's played like he couldn't give a toss. I'm undecided whether we should give him the summer to rewire his brain and get back into the right mentality.
CB: We need a commander like Stuart was to partner one of Corcoran or Huke.
ML: If we're able to get in a good left back then I think Day should slot in here.
MR: Charles has been good here and linked up with Gash well.
MC: Power, Mills, Keehan (who I think is good and clearly has goals in him), Johnson. Porter is probably looking elsewhere.
ST: I really hope we can keep O'Connor and get Shariff signed up for another couple of years. If we can get Gash on a free that would be excellent and I think Miller-Charles-Gash would be a great threat to have. I will personally piggy back Farrell to his next club just so I know he's gone.

If we can keep most of the squad we have now then I only think we need some defenders. We've shown over the last few games that our strikers are doing pretty well. I do fear that Shariff will leave on a free though. :(
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
HiHoRushden&Diamonds

Post by HiHoRushden&Diamonds »

I think we need genuine center backs, Huke and Corcoran can do a job there but it's not really their natural position. A bit of height at the back would be good as well.

The midfield seems alright to me at the moment and does not really need a lot of change IMO, I hope we can get Gash on a permanent basis and hopefully a bit of pace up-front.