[ Sat 30th Mar ] v Oadby Town, KO 3pm UCL1 HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Sat 30th Mar ] v Oadby Town, KO 3pm UCL1 HOME

Post by Trek »

I also think it's vital to keep it tight. As we saw at their place it's essential that we do not allow them to get around us on the flanks so Gilly and Joe must be on their game. I wonder if Sean will get a start and if so who will be left out Brad or Kingy? Let's hope the 12th man can really make a difference.
luckyfour

Post by luckyfour »

I think they will do the same to us that they did at their place. They can afford to take a point from this game so I think they will sit back, pack the midfield and look to hit us on the break with width and with pace. Going to be very difficult as we really need to win but I think we are going to have to adopt similar tactics and sit back to try and frustrate them and hope to pinch a goal on the break or from a set piece. It could have been a very different game at their place if we had scored in the first 20 mins and I think it is vital that we do not concede first again. We do not want to be chasing the game against them.
Stocko

Post by Stocko »

Just 29hrs to go before the buisness end of the season really kicks off. Do we think its a must win game for diamonds or would a draw be a good result ?
luckyfour

Post by luckyfour »

It's a must not lose game. Personally I still think that other teams will drop some points but not many.
FOOTYMAN
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by FOOTYMAN »

This is a big game for them because they will want to show that the victory at their place was not just a bad game for us. Their fixture list is awful and they also have a cup match against St.Ives in their run-in. I think they would be happy to take a point and hope they don't pick up any injuries.
Again, do we adapt to play the way we did against Sileby, is Deakin fit, does Sean start ?
Stop the ball being put to the front wide players and close them down for 90 minutes and we have a chance. It has started to make me nervous with anticipation.
Matchbuzz.......
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Its a must win! Simple as that.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 46 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I think we'll see at least four changes from Tuesday.

This would be my side

Ash
Gilly-Parky-Hopey-Merrill
Wizz-Sean-King-Matty
Jake-Ben

Nothing against Brad or Lance but I think Kingy has just that bit of quality.

Lance would be a real option as an impact sub
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I don't usually like subscribing to the 'must win game philosophy' although with only 9 games remaining for us we are now at that important stage of the season and it is clear that we can put Oadby under serious pressure in their quest for one of the two promotion places if we take all three points tomorrow. Although they will still have games in hand it will mean that they will not afford to drop any further points in the run in.

So it's a 'must win' for me.

Another point, it is recognised that Stevenson is a danger man, his excellent strike in the first game demonstrated that, and would it be worth us considering employing Sean in a man marking role?
I also think that if Deaks is fit he should start in place of Hopey.
AdamSRJFC

Post by AdamSRJFC »

No doubt about it, this is a must win game.

We should be taking at least 3/6 points of the top teams, we've taken 4/6 from Sileby, need to take 3 off Oadby and Eynesbury too, and then its just a case of keeping winning.

I'm very happy for Ash to start, and Gearing and Gilly were rested on Tuesday, so I'd probably see them start. Due to Sam's injury, we'll probably see Merril start on the left, Gilly on the right, and Parkinson and Deakin/Hope, if Hopey's available.

I'd personally like to see Lance start again, and it means we have McBride back too, so I'd probably go
with Lance and Alfie starting upfront, with Newman coming on at half time if either isn't having a particularly good game.

Suppose we'll have to wait and see :D
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Team selecion is a real headache for Starms & Peaksy that's for sure. From my viewpoint we need to get Alfie turning and committing defenders more once in possession of the ball, too much of his football has been with back to goal playing the ball backwards recently and that slows down our attacking game which gives defenders/ midfield time to get back and set out their stall. That's what I like about Lance, he does commit defenders. Gearo HAS to start, just for his corner taking but Morgan would be another option out wide he works so hard. Sean also has to start that means either Kingy or Brad have to miss out and that's a real shame, I'd drop Brad for one reason only and that is that Kingy is a better play-maker. Brad's workrate in the middle is first class but we're going to need an extra edge and Kingy plays on that edge. If Deakin is fit, he should take up his normal role as him and Parky have a great understanding.
It's a must win for me, we've shown we can beat the top of the table team so this is winnable.
AFC R & D member number 34