Realistic targets?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Realistic targets?

Post by Trek »

PigmanRDFC wrote:
Justin has suggested that 80 points "should" be enough to secure us a play-off spot, possibly 81.........mmmmmmmm, thats still a long way off.
I would suggest that's the target for the team but 75-76 may be enough!
super noodles

Post by super noodles »

I reckon Tomlin will really find his form again and we'll be in the playoffs for sure. I'm not sure we'll get promoted though. The other places will go to Stevenage, York and either Luton or K*ttering. So far Stevenage are the only one of those teams we've beat even though we still have to play Luton and K*ttering. If we win those two I'll feel quite confident, but if we lose either I'll have very little confidence tbh. Still, I think on a good day we can beat any of these teams and JE has shown he knows how to get the best out of the players.
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

super noodles wrote:I reckon Tomlin will really find his form again and we'll be in the playoffs for sure. I'm not sure we'll get promoted though. The other places will go to Stevenage, York and either Luton or K*ttering. So far Stevenage are the only one of those teams we've beat even though we still have to play Luton and K*ttering. If we win those two I'll feel quite confident, but if we lose either I'll have very little confidence tbh. Still, I think on a good day we can beat any of these teams and JE has shown he knows how to get the best out of the players.
2-0 win at Kenilworth Road?
super noodles

Post by super noodles »

Forgot about that one :oops: :D
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by Olly »

Trek wrote:
PigmanRDFC wrote:
Justin has suggested that 80 points "should" be enough to secure us a play-off spot, possibly 81.........mmmmmmmm, thats still a long way off.
I would suggest that's the target for the team but 75-76 may be enough!
So 20-25 more points to reach our target, we're a great team in great form but it's going to be tough looking at the remaining games we've got to play with Oxford and Luton at home and all 3 of our away games in April are against teams with very decent home records so it's going to be very close I predict and we're pretty much at the stage where every game is massive. Really hope we get to the Luton game with something to play for at least, as we'd be looking at 4-5000 for that one if that's the case.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
mattreddan

Post by mattreddan »

If we DID get promoted what do you think the home crowds would be at Nene Park? I would say maybe another 300+ home fans maybe, and if we do well in League 2 maybe 2000 home fans per match...
Olly

Post by Olly »

Hopefully we'd be able to open the Airwair up for home fans again and with the club finally looking to be back on the up again I think we'd be looking at crowds of 2000-2500 with plenty of people coming back I would have thought.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

RushdenTillIDie

Post by RushdenTillIDie »

Can everyone stop being so positive, talks of the Airwair opening up again...you lot have gone too far now ;) I will be sooo disappointed if it doesn't happen now after getting so close, and for this reason i will remain a tad more negative...well a little aprehensive shall we say. After the catostrophe under Hill, I have the same now or never attitude that the chairman appeared to have last season, and besides even if we did make playoffs do people honestly think we could beat the likes of Luton, York and Stevenage over 2 legs?

I really hope we do it, and with me going abroad from june for a whole year, i'd like nothing more than to leave my team enjoying life in the football league (plus i'd get to see highlights on the bbc).

realistically I see us getting 74 points, i fear this is not enough, this prediction is done on the basis that we win the next 3 on the bounce which imo is a really tall order, but one the team is definately capable of.

Sat 6 15:00 A Tamworth BSQP W
Sat 13 15:00 H Gateshead BSQP W
Sat 20 15:00 A Altrincham BSQP W
Wed 24 19:45 H Oxford United BSQP D
Sat 27 15:00 A AFC Wimbledon BSQP L
Tue 30 19:45 A K*ttering Town BSQP D
Fri 2 15:00 H Crawley Town BSQP D
Mon 5 15:00 A Kidderminster BSQP D
Sat 10 15:00 H Ebbsfleet BSQP W
Tue 13 19:45 A Mansfield Town BSQP L
Sat 17 15:00 A Wrexham BSQP D
Sat 24 15:00 H Luton Town BSQP D

What I will say is it makes for one hell of an exciting finish...despite my feet on the ground approach here, I do have belief that we can do it, and will be backing the lads and attending as many games as financially possible, being the jobless student I am....anywho, whatever happens Up The Diamonds!
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

RushdenTillIDie wrote:...do people honestly think we could beat the likes of Luton, York and Stevenage over 2 legs?
I agree that we would be second favourites against any of those sides, but we have a 2-2 aggregate score over our two games with Stevenage (despite playing most of the first game with 10 men), we beat Luton 2-0 away from home, and although we drew and lost to York both games were very tight with a set piece goal the only difference between us at Nene Park, and to be honest we looked the more likely team to win when we played them at Bootham Crescent.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Olly

Post by Olly »

Exactly, the playoffs would be extremely close and I can see the aggregate score between us and whoever we play being 1-0 or 1-1 but I think we'd just miss out against teams like Luton or Stevenage so I'm not expecting us to win the playoffs if we do get into them. But it still would be a fantastic achievement to make them and we'd be in a strong position to build and do even better next season provided we were able to keep the majority of our playing and management staff.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts