Desperate measures.....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Desperate measures.....

Post by Trek »

ron manager wrote:Cool, better get my lazy butt down there to see what you have all been up to
Look forward to seeing you, Ron, and the beer is better at the D & D now that we have Hart's No1 in Dale's Bar. ;)
Stalin

Post by Stalin »

I totally agree, Hayden Road isn't suitable but it does feel right in some respects, maybe more from just an historic point of view.

The Dog and Duck is the perfect venue in the short term until we can find a home somewhere in Rushden or Irthlingborough although its more likely to be somewhere on the outskirts of Rushden as I can't think of anywhere suitable in Irthlingborough even though there is a ground at the bottom of Station Road which will be empty soon :lol:
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Stalin wrote:...... although its more likely to be somewhere on the outskirts of Rushden
I think that is a given particularly since the Local Authority would not give planning permission for a new ground without adequate road links and car parking arrangements. It would not be welcomed within a residential area.
paulk

Post by paulk »

Trek wrote:
ron manager wrote:Well, I haven't been DD for years :), has the rubbish drainage been sorted yet, that pitch always fell to pieces, I will be at the next home game, assuming we ever have one again.
The pitch is not the best, but Paul Knowles, who weaved his magic when in charge at NP 10 years ago before leaving to sort out White Hart Lane ;) is now assisting to improve the pitch. A week Saturday when we play BPW I suggest you have a good inspection of the D & D, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)
:oops: Hey shucks. lol. Will be next season before pitch is really where it needs to be but will get there- because there are good people there willing to roll their sleeves up. There has been a lot of good work done on ground-i was surprised when i first saw it a few weeks ago.
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

paulk wrote:
Trek wrote:
ron manager wrote:Well, I haven't been DD for years :), has the rubbish drainage been sorted yet, that pitch always fell to pieces, I will be at the next home game, assuming we ever have one again.
The pitch is not the best, but Paul Knowles, who weaved his magic when in charge at NP 10 years ago before leaving to sort out White Hart Lane ;) is now assisting to improve the pitch. A week Saturday when we play BPW I suggest you have a good inspection of the D & D, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)
:oops: Hey shucks. lol. Will be next season before pitch is really where it needs to be but will get there- because there are good people there willing to roll their sleeves up. There has been a lot of good work done on ground-i was surprised when i first saw it a few weeks ago.
Just make sure Knowlsey you don't take your trademark moles....lol ;) Ok for Thursday?
paulk

Post by paulk »

:P yes bud.
diamondal

Post by diamondal »

Red Dragon wrote:I just added this comment to the 200% article:

R&DFC and its supporters were played like Stradivarius violins into an early and undeserved grave (plastic supporter tags notwithstanding) by the same type of people who have now done for their successors in the elephants' graveyard called Nene Park.

At the time of our demise - I ought to say that I was the Fans' Chaplain at R&DFC, and I am the Fans' Chaplain at AFCR&D - there were many, many K*ttering Town fans who could not contain their glee, and made their baser feelings known on fans' forums all over the internet, including ours. It would not be an exaggeration to say that barely a day went past without someone gloating about the way twenty mostly glory-filled years ended.

Thankfully for us, we proved that, far from being plastic, our supporters had more backbone than anyone gave us credit for, and began straight away to rebuild a team and a club that we could all be proud of, rather than one to despair about. This isn't the place to mention how successful this endeavour has been to date, but we are immensely hopeful for our - sustainable - future.

In the meantime, those same K*ttering supporters who were gloating at our demise would not listen when we warned them of what was to come if they made the mistake of supporting Ladak in climbing into our deathbed before the sheets had cooled, let alone been changed... and if you think that is a somewhat strained metaphor, look for photos on the 'Net showing K*ttering Town players training in abandoned R&DFC training kit shortly after taking over at Nene Park!

The strains of "I told you so" will no doubt be floating around the pubs of East Northants tonight - along with "7-0, and the dog said no", doubtless - because we did, indeed, tell them so, and they, because of twenty years of bitterness, jealousy, frustration and stubbornness, would not listen, or allowed themselves to be deluded into believing that this time all would be well.

They say that the sign of insanity is to repeat an action and expect a different result: if that is true, then the fans of K*ttering Town - or at least those who made the arduous trip those eight long miles down the A6 - have been suffering from untreated corporate insanity since that infamous Wicksteed Park meeting at which they raised their hands to vote to embrace the vain hope of progress.

All that - combined with the twenty year long bitter rivalry which saw R&DFC showered with success and trophies whilst K*ttering Town draped its wizened one hundred and twenty year old shoulders in the threadbare comfort blanket of their uneventful history - ought to mean that the fans of the re-born Diamonds are tonight taking our own gleeful turn at sneering contempt.

And of course, some of us are, because we're human beings... but the vast majority of us (and how good it is to be building our fanbase to such an extent that the phrase "the vast majority" doesn't mean the three drunks propping up the bar and the taxi driver who takes them home) are calling on true Poppies fans to take this as an opportunity to jettison their recent past and re-claim their history and take back their club from the jokers who combined to deprive them of it. We are pledging our support, if it's asked for, and the benefit of our experience.

It's true, we want them back in K*ttering, much as we want, and plan, to be back in Rushden, for reasons of self-interest. It's time the cuckoo fled the nest.

We want the rivalry back: when you look at the playing record between the two teams since R&DFC were formed, who wouldn't?

Most of all though, we recognise that by far the majority of Poppies fans are people like us: hard-working, ordinary, not particularly well off people from the industrial and post-industrial villages and towns of Northamptonshire. People who have, depending on which way you look at it, have either been royally shafted by the unscrupulous or led astray by the incompetent. People who, like us, are perfectly capable, freed from the manacles of mismanagement by egocentric faux entrepreneurs, of rebuilding a Club true to the original principles of Association Football, a club of which they can once again be proud, a club ready to be hammered once more by the mighty Diamonds....!

Sorry about the last bit of that paragraph, I couldn't resist it...

Come on Poppies, straighten up, square the shoulders, wipe your mouths and walk away. That chapter's over. Time to turn the page, and begin the rest of the story.
Post of the year IMO ! Well said Alan :)
Ploppies caretaker manager on Look East BBC this morning believes that if they can get through the next month there is sunshine at the other end ! They were even showing the tip that is RR as the backdrop ! :o
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 46 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

The leccy been cut off according to ex-director Gary Whatisface on Poopynet
Mat.H

Post by Mat.H »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote:The leccy been cut off according to ex-director Gary Whatisface on Poopynet
Gary Graham, they were expecting it the S&EC has gennies ready.
AFC R&D Membership No 283
Stalin

Post by Stalin »

Dam it, the last person out can't even turn the lights off now :lol: