Richard Maxwell Appointed Manager

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Re: Richard Maxwell Appointed Manager

Post by NN10-Nige »

fentiger79 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:40 pm If you do and you slated Burge or the club previously you should be apologising to them as you have just gone against everything that was said.
I didn't like Burgess as a person, his attitude towards Dolman's departure told me everything I needed to know about him and his man management skills.
His lack of managerial experience didn't bother me as if he had decent man management skills then it would have made up for that.
Everyone seemed happy with Burgess taking the job on an interim basis and nobody mentioned his lack of experience then.
In a nutshell - every manager has to be given a chance at some point, if nobody gives them a chance then they are never going to get the experience.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

I agree that managers should get chances but there are times and places for that. If Maxwell wanted the job he should go off and be successful somewhere and in a few years time come back and apply when the job becomes available again. But also your point is that you like a manager with man management skills and unless you are basing this on 2 games or are a regular U23 watcher you must know him.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

From the outside (and I totally admit I'm out of the loop and I'm happy to be corrected) I don't get the fuss. Bloke who clearly cares about the club, is a licensed coach is coming in for a few games more. The statement says 'ongoing basis', not permanent. So this is just caretaker?

If other members are critical and want EGMs etc, I actually think that's a healthy thing in a CBS. Given that turnout for most elections are low, maybe this will encourage more people to come forward on the board to be the change they want?

Just saying 'I'm not going to attend anymore', I genuinely don't understand that. A club that is run by the fans, can be changed by the fans. Why would you just give up?!
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

fentiger79 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:57 pm I agree that managers should get chances but there are times and places for that. If Maxwell wanted the job he should go off and be successful somewhere and in a few years time come back and apply when the job becomes available again. But also your point is that you like a manager with man management skills and unless you are basing this on 2 games or are a regular U23 watcher you must know him.
I don't know him, all I can say is what I saw, the team were 100% not playing for Burgess, but on Tuesday night they were 100% playing, I did say as soon as Burgess left that we will see an improvement in the team so even if Maxwell wasn't the interim we would have shown an improvement.

If the team go back to turning in the type of performances they were putting in for Burgess then I'll be more than happy to say Maxwell needs to go.

I should add that I literally know nothing about Richard Maxwell, apart from he was a board member, so I don't know why people think he is toxic and I don't know why people think he's a nasty bit of work.

But that's football forums for you isn't it, you get so many people saying like just a few hours ago 'if it's who I think it is' 'if it's who I heard it is' - they don't name names, then you get people saying 'he's a nasty bit of work' - they don't say how they have come to that conclusion, I can't say I dislike someone just because someone else said they dislike him if they haven't offered up any sort of context to why he is nasty.

To be totally honest, giving him the full time job on the back of 2 games is absurd, especially as one was a 4-0 loss, if we wasn't going to be appointing a new manager today we should have just kept quiet and carried on for another 2 weeks, if he got to 6 games and had won 3 then give him the job.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

diamondsteve
Has Liked: 158 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

This is not a new manager statement it’s just meaning he’s carrying on a bit longer as caretaker .

The board may have had a few let downs with interviews or felt that they need to be given a bit longer . In the meantime they’re thinking let Maxwell continue steadying the ship for another couple of weeks.

They had to give an updated because it’s already been two weeks. They’ll be lots and lots of factors why it’s not easy getting a perfect manager in quickly. They also had to get in coaches in for the meantime .

It’s “on going basis” nothings set in stone right now chill out.

If the team doesn’t do well then you will all get your reward and a new management, if the team does well you will also get your mid table reward.

Keep the drum beating support the lads & let’s see if the mess sort’s itself out naturally
oliv272
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by oliv272 »

diamondsteve wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:24 am This is not a new manager statement it’s just meaning he’s carrying on a bit longer as caretaker .

The board may have had a few let downs with interviews or felt that they need to be given a bit longer . In the meantime they’re thinking let Maxwell continue steadying the ship for another couple of weeks.

They had to give an updated because it’s already been two weeks. They’ll be lots and lots of factors why it’s not easy getting a perfect manager in quickly. They also had to get in coaches in for the meantime .

If the team doesn’t do well then you will all get your reward and a new management, if the team does well you will also get your mid table reward.

Keep the drum beating support the lads & let’s see if the mess sort’s itself out naturally
100% get your sentiment and share the same opinion but why can't the board communicate these things better? Just state straight up in the statement that we're going to stick with Maxwell for now and review things in a month or two, without leaving ys to read between the lines. Would be a far better way of keeping the fans happy.
FuriousHoon / Ollie
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by Dowlo »

The whole thing absolute stinks!

I get we had no option but to let him go in the dug out after Burgess was sacked, however he was interviewed on Tuesday stating a new manager would be announced by the end of the week? Did he know all along it would be himself, was the club let down last minute? All things the fans or at least those that are members should be informed about!

Mr Maxwell has a well known reputation locally of using bullying tactics to get what he wants. Whether that be with individuals or entire sport clubs.

Look about how he's gone about getting himself the job. Joined the board, given himself the job and now left the board. These kind of things need to be voted on by the fans. Are we really happy that he's gone and done this. What's to stop anyone doing the same in the future? How have the club allowed this to happen? If results continue to be sh*t he's not going to sack himself is he? Will he be happy knowing the board will continue actively looking for someone experienced and better suited than him, whilst he's in charge? I suspect the process of looking for a PROPER manager has now been put on hold on his say so.

I've had numerous people approach me about him and what a nasty piece of work he is. I know with my involvement in one of the local sports club he's trying to force off their home ground, the kind of bloke he is. He's out for himself and this nicey nicey, "Mr Fun" bullsh*t is just a front.
Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

diamondsteve wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:24 am This is not a new manager statement it’s just meaning he’s carrying on a bit longer as caretaker .

Jon Dunham seems to think he's the permanent manager. Reading the statement makes me think the same. The title is 'New manager appointed'. Everything about it says to me that it is permanent. No mention that we are looking for anyone else.

I know nothing about Richard Maxwell. If it is permanent, I don't think we have learned anything after the huge mistake of giving Burgess a contract too early.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I like Richard and admire what he's been able to do with this group of players in a short space of time. People have their own personal issues with him which is fine and I'd never question those. Others will never take to him due to solidarity with a guy who left 8 months ago, a guy who was happy to take our best players in the summer. I don't get that one, but whatever. If a Guy Hadland or Chris Nunn had have come in and done what Maxwell has done over the past fortnight people would be more than happy with this appointment.

However, whoever is in control of these decisions, specifically this decision, is tone-deaf at best and brazen. The decision not only flies in the face of everything said in the co-chairman's interview with Jon Dunham after Burgess was sacked, but is also in my opinion morally wrong on the basis that we've appointed a board member to manage the first team, which is indefensible regardless of qualifications. It's not a fair process if somebody is at such a huge advantage. It really bothers me how this will look to the wider footballing community and paints the club, the board and the overall decision making process in a very poor light. It's laughable. It didn't need to happen.

I feel sorry for Richard Maxwell who is now on a hiding to nothing. One bad performance will result in a torrent of abuse and it could happen immediately tomorrow. I feel sorry for those working within the club who have presumably now got to either toe the party line in the face of what's likely to be a barrage of discontent, or resign.

With the above being said, I don't think my support for the club could ever be dictated by whoever was in the dugout, so that continues.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291