Chris Nunn Leaves

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Re: Chris Nunn Leaves

Post by Biggles »

Now where was it said the board sacked him, it was a mutual meeting so maybe Chris Nunn failed in his attempts to get players in, they all could have turned down his offers so he decided nothing could be done by himself and his team so maybe a new broom could bring new players.

Anyway we will find out today whether new faces will turn up or not.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Such a shame it didn’t work out. That photo in the statement I think was the last time we saw I happy Nunn at FT. Says it all , was it Kings Langley last season?
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

rickthediamond wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:00 pm
@fan89footy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:35 pm What about the guy at Daventry?
:cheesy: This has to be satire surely?
Probably a lack of knowledge of local football. Daren never stays anywhere long and despite having one of the largest budgets in the UCL Daventry are still mid table.

Look a couple of places up the UCL table and you'll see a better option.

The issue is that you have players currently at Step 5 and Step 6 who are being paid close to three figures a game.
The pressman
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by The pressman »

Chris Nunn appointed as the new manager of Step 5 Histon.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

The pressman wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:29 am Chris Nunn appointed as the new manager of Step 5 Histon.
This should be an indication of were the club finds itself. Lost the manager to a club a step below, who are probably able to offer him a better package.

Look I've not been in ages (I've lost a lot of interest to be brutally honest) , but when I continue to read. "things will change" "results will come" "it's only fine margins". It doesn't really matter. The facts are, if you keep losing and in the end you will go down.

Good teams turning poor performances into good results and go up. Poor teams turn good performances into loses and go down (there's been plenty of that lately)

The club now faces weeks of trying to find someone who will come in and manage the club for effectively nothing, and try and recruit players with effectively no budget. Whilst looking for a manager, Tom Lorraine has to try and put a stop to the 11 match losing streak. I don't begrudge anyone the task of trying to turn this situation around.

I honestly believe that the damage done in the last 18 months by Burgess and Co etc, is that bad that the situation can't be rescued at this level.
Plenty of clubs in the Football League and higher up have to go through double relegation and do a complete rebuild. I'll use Luton and Southampton in the 2010's as an example. You have to hit rock bottom and climb back up. Being in the UCL will be the clubs rock bottom and the rebuild can begin from there.
If the most optimistic local manager couldn't rescue the situation, then perhaps the writing is on the wall. It's going to be long hard slog (again) for the fans that go this season.
I don't doubt the young sides effort, but how many of us at the ages of 19-23 would put up with losing each week playing local club football (let alone a half decent one). You'd throw the towel in and find something more enjoyable to do I'm sure.
These poor lads keep losing each week (against more experienced/ better paid opponents) and still have to turn up the following week , with all the pressure of 300 odd spectators and their confidence at rock bottom. In the end they'll want to go some where else and enjoy themselves with less pressure. (Glennon for example this week) . You could almost apply that logic to Chris Nunn. The toll it's taken on him, has caused him to seek somewhere else to go and manage.

A club can't continue to function at this level with effectively UCL infrastructure. That's in no means a dig at anyone involved currently nor in the past. The whole SOS campaign was a massive achievement by all involved.
But surely the reality is we don't have a ground, we don't get bar revenue, we have no in house catering and we have a tiny playing budget. Throw in the club continues to have uncontested board elections. For all the success over the last decade it's been punching above it's weight and for now it may have run out of steam to keep it were it is. That's on the pitch and off the pitch.
@fan89footy
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by @fan89footy »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:12 am
@fan89footy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:35 pm What about the guy at Daventry?
Probably a lack of knowledge of local football. Daren never stays anywhere long and despite having one of the largest budgets in the UCL Daventry are still mid table.

The issue is that you have players currently at Step 5 and Step 6 who are being paid close to three figures a game.
I was thinking outside the box regarding the fact that the guy at Daventry puts his own money in (do you think Daventry paid for Leon Lobjolt all on their own? - whoops I just showed a bit of knowledge of local football) and to be honest if Diamonds want to get themselves out of this mess they need someone a little bit different than another generic step 4 /5 manager working with the limited funds the club can provide him with.

Also so what if he doesn't stay that long? Diamonds need assistance NOW to get out of relegation if he leaves in May having achieved this then what is the problem? (and no I am not Clint Torres before anyone asks)
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

@fan89footy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:31 am

I was thinking outside the box regarding the fact that the guy at Daventry puts his own money in (do you think Daventry paid for Leon Lobjolt all on their own? - whoops I just showed a bit of knowledge of local football) and to be honest if Diamonds want to get themselves out of this mess they need someone a little bit different than another generic step 4 /5 manager working with the limited funds the club can provide him with.

Also so what if he doesn't stay that long? Diamonds need assistance NOW to get out of relegation if he leaves in May having achieved this then what is the problem? (and no I am not Clint Torres before anyone asks)
Again, disagree massively. We are not in the position where we should be bringing in a manager who is pumping his own funds into the club. I strongly feel that would be an awful decision.
Lee Tomlin la la la
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Go then I'll bite a bit.

Daren, and he's a lovely bloke I like him a lot, and the clubs he's been at.

Irchester - left three days before the season started having got promotion to the UCL, took five years to recover

Corby S&L - went down from the UCL Div 1 the season he left. They have finished bottom two of the Comb for the last two seasons and only saved by Moulton and then Irchester being promoted.

Burton Park - two stretches. First one saved them from relegation, the season after they were saved from relegation to the Comb on PPG. Left last season BPW are currently bottom of the SSML Div1, the team are mainly lads from their U18 side last season.

If he does come and keeps you up where will that leave you in June/July/August? no manager, no players, still in a division where you can't compete financially.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Its a real shame it hasn't worked out for Chris, I think he was the face the club needed at the time and he steadied the ship, he had a free ride for last season and when we started to string some results together we all thought that would be the benchmark for this year, but it just hasn't happened and having the worst record in football meant there was only going to be one outcome.
I certainly don't see it that we've lost our manager to a step 5 club with a bigger budget, you could argue that he mutually consented to leave when another job came along, but it doesn't really matter now. We can thank him for all his hard work and wish him all the best for the future, he will be welcome at Hayden road anytime.
Going forward when looking for a manager in the past, we had an applicant apply with a contribution to the budget, we at the time felt that wasn't how we wanted to operate, however there are ways whereby a manager could bring sponsorship which might align with our values more, although maybe not.

I think we will be surprised who applies, I would have thought our budget to be about mid table, I don't know but I would be amazed is Coventry Sphinx, Hinckley, Loughborough Dynamo have a bigger budget, maybe they have. The role know is ideal for someone to come and prove themselves whether from a step 5 club (although many at the top end are likely to have a better budget than us) or someone who has taken a club as far as it can go at step 4 and wants another challenge, or by someone who has recently been let go. I feel with 2 going down it's vital we stay at this level this season, the guys off the field have done a fantastic job and if we can keep at this level with some progression on the pitch, our club will be in a better position at the end of the season.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
@fan89footy
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by @fan89footy »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:56 am

Go then I'll bite a bit.

Daren, and he's a lovely bloke I like him a lot, and the clubs he's been at.

Irchester - left three days before the season started having got promotion to the UCL, took five years to recover

Corby S&L - went down from the UCL Div 1 the season he left. They have finished bottom two of the Comb for the last two seasons and only saved by Moulton and then Irchester being promoted.

Burton Park - two stretches. First one saved them from relegation, the season after they were saved from relegation to the Comb on PPG. Left last season BPW are currently bottom of the SSML Div1, the team are mainly lads from their U18 side last season.

If he does come and keeps you up where will that leave you in June/July/August? no manager, no players, still in a division where you can't compete financially.
Your Question: "Where does it leave you if he does comes and keeps you up?"

The Answer: At step 4, not a step 5 which is exactly where Diamonds will be if they just keep plodding along in the manner I have previously described.

How Diamonds go about the their long term future is open to debate but in the here and now something drastic needs to happen.
Last edited by @fan89footy on Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.