Lost [ Tue 15th Aug ] v Spalding Utd, KO 7:45pm NPLD1M AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

[ Tue 15th Aug ] v Spalding Utd, KO 7:45pm NPLD1M AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Match details

Dazzler
The Staff

Re: [ Tue 15th Aug ] v Spalding Utd, KO 7:45pm NPLD1M AWAY

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Would like to see Davies Johnston and Tagoe start today
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Well there was certainly spirit and fight in tonight's performance and we did do well to get to that point of the game at 0-0 and showed good organisation, but it was one of those where we were always going to be relying on getting a fair bit of luck to get a result and it doesn't help when unfortunately Ethan Johnston was unable to take a 1-1 with the goalie again.

It is like the season 10 years ago where Spalding's team is ridiculous for the league, the amount of experience in that team and so much of it at higher levels is crazy, so many well known names in that squad and of course the ones that have played for us at step 3, it's no wonder we struggled to create much against them, it is a team that probably would be expecting to challenge for promotion the level above as well.

However, one thing I will say is that, despite the strength of the opposition, it was a frustrating watch to see us give the ball away so much and not be able to even string a few passes together a lot of the time, we are pretty strong without the ball, but with it clearly there is a lot of room for improvement.

Just need that first goal and first points to get us up and running in, really doesn't help having such a tough first two games but the next two are against teams who were at the bottom end of the table last season so should be a good opportunity to get points on the board.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by fentiger79 »

A bit of a strange one last night. On paper this was a non contest, a team full of experienced players on significant money who all should be playing at least one level higher against our young freshly assembled mostly inexperienced players. On the pitch you could see the quality in the Spalding players but I thought for the majority we fought and defended very well whilst creating (aside from the goals) the best chances of the night. For all the money spent I actually didn’t think Spalding were all that. Will they win the league, probably. But when you are paying probably more money for their bench than our team combined (and most teams at this level) the quality should prevail come May. The goals were disappointing and pretty simple, we weren’t carved open through amazing football but undone on a couple of soft headers. For us I actually think defensively we are very good not quite there as I think we are 1 short but the central defenders are very decent. We do need strengthening in midfield which we all know and attack wise I think we will be ok but Jones is now a big blow so I would expect another body in up top. Easier said than done to recruit but more players will become available over the next few weeks as they can’t get game time elsewhere. All in all still positive, we can’t compete with the likes of Spalding and Harborough but we have played the 3rd and 4th placed teams from last year who have significantly strengthened and not massively too far away, with a bit more luck and taken chances who knows. On to Saturday which in my opinion is the biggest game and more important than last night.
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »