[ Sun 30th Jul ] RDFC v AFCRD Legends Match - GATES @ Midday

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Re: Sun 30th Jul ] RDFC v AFCRD Legends Match - GATES @ Midday

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

diamond82
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by diamond82 »

I haven't posted on this forum for a very, very long time. Maybe not since the demise of the old club, or at least since the early days of AFC. I just wanted to say what a great time I had at the legends game on Sunday. So a massive congratulations to the Directors and volunteers for organising such a fantastic day. It can't have been easy.

I took my son. We've both been to see AFC R&D play a few times when our schedule allows. He didn't get to attend a match at Nene Park. He saw the stadium, but as he was only 2 when we played our last game there, sadly all Nene Park was to him was a football stadium where they held a car boot sale. Rushden & Diamonds are a team he plays against at the weekends in the Weetabix League!

I'd explained to him before about the old club and how they played as high as League 1, but I don't think it really resonated with him because he hadn't seen it for himself. That changed at the Legends game. I've been answering a lot more R&D questions than normal this week! He's seen the players who played for the original club, i've explained the levels that some of them played to. I think he was surprised at how young some of the guys still are. I've shared clips with him courtesy of the brilliant RD MVideos on youTube. This weekend when he stays over we'll watch back the season review DVDs that were put together a few years ago. I'm looking forward to it. I did buy him a shirt on the day. He liked the blue 3rd Shirt but ultimately couldn't get past the quirkiness of the fact that AFC were sponsored by EA Sports in their first senior season. What can I say? It resonates with the FIFA obsessed kids! So thank you to whoever donated the 2012/13 home shirt! It found a happy recipient and made some money for the club.

I don't know about you guys, but I still feel sad all these years later about the old club. When Nene Park was demolished in 2017 I found that really hard to watch. It was where I went to watch football with my dad. But...times move on, and I always try and think to myself that the club didn't die (as is sang by the fans), it did continue, it has a legacy in the fans that still support it every week. Legacy was a word Rob used to describe the game on Sunday. He's right, and I guess last season was a bit of a wake up call. I've always kept an interest in AFC Rushden and Diamonds, but more is required. I guess what i'm trying to say is that i'll be making more effort to get to some games, to find money for a replica shirt, buy a membership etc. We'll still be busy for a lot of weekends, that won't change, but the 3 games that we watch a season needs to become 10/15 by getting a few mid-weekers in. Maybe even a few away days in there too. There's still a club with a legacy, and the greatest legacy is that due to the hard work of others, we can still follow a team bearing the name Rushden and Diamonds. So again, thanks to all those who helped make Sunday a success. Thanks to those who have ensured that the club has existed over the past 12 years. I'm looking forward to the new season.