Lost [ Sat 28th Jan ] v Stratford Town, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
The pressman
Been Liked: 27 times

Re: [ Sat 28th Jan ] v Stratford Town, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by The pressman »

Despite the result, I saw more effort and commitment yesterday than under any Burgess or Maxwell team. And lets not forget that 5 players were making their debuts yesterday with a 6th appearing as a substitute. A daunting test awaits against Coalville next week but lets just take one game at a time.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Came away very flat after that.

It felt like it was our first game vs a team that’s played 30-35 games. Like it was our first pre season friendly. Players getting to know each other. And so unfairly on a ploughed field .

Both full backs impressed me and Joel Anker was a star . But it’s just another game that we didn’t have enough shots ON target (just 1) . If you don’t score goals you’ll eventually be bottom of the league .

If we had this side in July I confidently believe after 30 or so games we would be middle table. We’ve sorted out the defence now but I feel we need a few more games for the midfield and strikers to gel .
Last edited by diamondsteve on Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

Olly wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:51 pm
Biggles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:37 pm
Rushdenanddiamonds wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:29 pm The worrying thing is that there are people on this forum who think we looked ok yesterday and were actually in the game😂😂😂😂
I see we have at least 3 wind up merchants from Kettrin (or is it at least one talking to himself making 2) on here now that we are fairly confirmed as having a Relegation spot unless miracles happen but the really sad thing is we will miss the derby match as they come down and we go down, shame really.
Not quite the same, but a reasonable chance we will still at least get a big Northants derby against Corby next year which certainly would be interesting, possibly another against Daventry if they stay up, along with short trips across county borders to Harborough Town and if they stay up St Neots as well. We'll play them up the A6 again soon enough I'm sure!
Probably just as likely that we would be in Southern One Central as the NPL One Midlands will tend to drift North and West with the clubs promoted into it. Incidentally quite a bit of trouble after the Harborough/Corby game yesterday.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

Sid wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:41 pm
Biggles wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:37 pm

I see we have at least 3 wind up merchants from Kettrin (or is it at least one talking to himself making 2) on here now that we are fairly confirmed as having a Relegation spot unless miracles happen but the really sad thing is we will miss the derby match as they come down and we go down, shame really.
Not quite the same, but a reasonable chance we will still at least get a big Northants derby against Corby next year which certainly would be interesting, possibly another against Daventry if they stay up, along with short trips across county borders to Harborough Town and if they stay up St Neots as well. We'll play them up the A6 again soon enough I'm sure!
Probably just as likely that we would be in Southern One Central as the NPL One Midlands will tend to drift North and West with the clubs promoted into it. Incidentally quite a bit of trouble after the Harborough/Corby game yesterday.
True, a projection I just had a look at on the moon league matters forum projects us in the SL central. Size of club isn't always an indication of standard, but some fairly big clubs in the NPL Midlands as opposed to the SL central, so the SL central could that be an easier league to get out of?

Though on a selfish note certainly would prefer the NPL with locations of clubs, Harborough away would be the first ever Diamonds game I'd be able to walk to lol and a derby against Corby would draw a big crowd.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

I keep seeing people post on Twitter that although we lost the game - we are winning.

That's a dangerous mindset, we went there with Burgess, losing games to fellow strugglers is not good, we need to be winning games, if we are not winning games we are failing.

Chris Nunn being at the club means we have a chance of bouncing back up, but can we hold on to him if we go down? the best thing for the football club is if we can beat the drop, if we are losing games to fellow struggles we need to be looking at it as an opportunity missed, Chris knows how massive these games are, I would be very surprised if he went home thinking 'we lost but it's K' he doesn't want a relegation on his CV.

I don't think the players viewing the socials and seeing fans saying losing is winning is going to motivate them, things have improved and we want to see that trajectory continue, the players we are signing are hungry to succeed, they want to be pushed, there were good passages of play yesterday and hopefully each game will see them gel a bit more.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Olly wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:34 pm
Sid wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:41 pm

True, a projection I just had a look at on the moon league matters forum projects us in the SL central. Size of club isn't always an indication of standard, but some fairly big clubs in the NPL Midlands as opposed to the SL central, so the SL central could that be an easier league to get out of?

Though on a selfish note certainly would prefer the NPL with locations of clubs, Harborough away would be the first ever Diamonds game I'd be able to walk to lol and a derby against Corby would draw a big crowd.
If we are being selfish then the SL first Central is best plenty of teams between me in the south and Northants. Plenty of short trips,from Rushden, only a few to likes of Cirencester.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Let's put the cards on the table. If we hadn't elected a new board we'd be looking at liquidation by now. The new manager is having to work with a reduced budget to clear the old contracts and make us stable for the rest of the season. This board has saved the club.
On the field I am expecting our manager to get a new team together for NEXT season, and that won't really happen until this season has ended and players become available. Forget "pretty football " , it's a time for rebuilding.
AFC R & D member number 34
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

The mindset has to be planning for next season now.

The board have four months to really understand the workings of the club ready to hit the ground running before pre-season and the playing squad has four months to learn Chris' system, get the partnerships bedded in and be ready for game one of 2023/24.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by rickthediamond »

If Nunn stays beyond this season, which I have no reason to believe he won’t, then I do think we are in for an exciting season at step 4. I don’t think we will really see a ‘Nunn’ team until next season, it’s too much to ask for him to do this right now. I’m sure his priority will be grinding out results any way he can, and as he has reiterated several times, the minimum requirement for this is giving 110% effort.

Although it was a rather bleak watch in the second half, I don’t believe the team gave up. Hopefully Chris will be able to identify those who are committed to the cause and prepared to stay with us next season whether we are at step 3 or 4, and we can build from there.

Personally looking forward to having a reset at the club both on and off the pitch. Step 4, albeit not what we want, gives us a chance to sort out our affairs.
Lee Tomlin la la la
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

rickthediamond wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:58 am If Nunn stays beyond this season, which I have no reason to believe he won’t, then I do think we are in for an exciting season at step 4. I don’t think we will really see a ‘Nunn’ team until next season, it’s too much to ask for him to do this right now. I’m sure his priority will be grinding out results any way he can, and as he has reiterated several times, the minimum requirement for this is giving 110% effort.

Although it was a rather bleak watch in the second half, I don’t believe the team gave up. Hopefully Chris will be able to identify those who are committed to the cause and prepared to stay with us next season whether we are at step 3 or 4, and we can build from there.

Personally looking forward to having a reset at the club both on and off the pitch. Step 4, albeit not what we want, gives us a chance to sort out our affairs.
I’m sure the new board would have hidden nothing from Chris so he would have been fully aware of the financial constraints, coupled with the fact it wasn’t the first time he’d applied for the job I’m sure you don’t have to worry about him walking if the drop happens, in fact he’s probably already making plans for next season should that happen. Really can’t believe some of the previous posts on this thread, it’s only been a few weeks since an AGM that could have been the start of the end and with recent weather Chris and his newly forming team have had 3 ? games. I can only presume some believe Rome was built in a day.