Lost [ Sat 28th Jan ] v Stratford Town, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Re: [ Sat 28th Jan ] v Stratford Town, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by Olly »

Ricky330 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:13 pm
GreekDiamond wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:03 pm We just can’t seem to find a way to have shots at goal, apart from Burnside’s 1-on-1 which probably should’ve been put away we don’t test keepers.
Unfortunately, that's why he is a step 6 striker 😕
Not really fair to call him a step 6 striker to be honest, Real Bedford are quite a bit above in standard the rest of that division and he proved himself as a very good striker at step 5 with N Pagnell when with them. Having said that, I think it is a lot to ask of a 30 year old player that as far as I can tell has never played above step 5 to come into a struggling step 3 team and make a difference.

Tough to take today's result as it all but extinguishes even the sliver of hope we might have had prior to today, and it's January...

New faces and some promising individual performances from some of them like Atcha and Anker, but same old problems as a team, not creating anything going forward, mistakes at the back and young lightweight players that like much of this season got bullied by a physical, if very dirty, Stratford side. Thing is, we can moan about their tactics all we want but if the boot was on the other foot and we got an ugly win like that we'd take it, you have to fight for points when you're at the bottom and ultimately their dirty tactics helped them get the win by stopping us from playing or getting any kind of rhythm together and gives them a chance of survival, while we're all but down.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

I too was impressed with Anker today especially in the first half, however they had more men than us, who were experienced and ground out the result, coupled with the quality of Grocott, (it amazes me players like Grocott at Stratford and Hicky at Barwell stay around these clubs as they are clearly better than that)

We are where we are and we have what we can afford, any results now are just going to be a bonus.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
AFCRDPete2011
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by AFCRDPete2011 »

Another terrible performance today! I really do feel sorry for Chris because he truly has inherited a very poor squad that i feel will float around mid table next season in Step 4. It’s hard to say and to watch, but this some naive managerial appointments have left us with. Burgess wasn’t fit for the job and was the root of the problem! Maxwell (while wasnt fit for the role either) got thrown under the bus for the boards ineptitude. Hopefully we can turn behind the scenes round at the same time on pitch performances improve. COYD!
AFCRDHome&Away
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by AFCRDHome&Away »

AFCRDPete2011 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:18 pm Another terrible performance today! I really do feel sorry for Chris because he truly has inherited a very poor squad that i feel will float around mid table next season in Step 4. It’s hard to say and to watch, but this some naive managerial appointments have left us with. Burgess wasn’t fit for the job and was the root of the problem! Maxwell (while wasnt fit for the role either) got thrown under the bus for the boards ineptitude. Hopefully we can turn behind the scenes round at the same time on pitch performances improve. COYD!

I know we haven't seen eye to eye but fully second very word on this! It does make me think what on earth is the board thinking? Seems there's ZERO direction or strategy/planning.

This circus of a club has got me thinking bring back Peaksy (obviously a joke), he would he leave Tamworth to come back to thus shambles?

Anyway, have a fantastic evening gents and ladygents - I'm off for a few pints to cheer myself up (and run away from the ball and chain for awhile) LOL
AFCRDPete2011
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by AFCRDPete2011 »

AFCRDHome&Away wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:27 pm
AFCRDPete2011 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:18 pm Another terrible performance today! I really do feel sorry for Chris because he truly has inherited a very poor squad that i feel will float around mid table next season in Step 4. It’s hard to say and to watch, but this some naive managerial appointments have left us with. Burgess wasn’t fit for the job and was the root of the problem! Maxwell (while wasnt fit for the role either) got thrown under the bus for the boards ineptitude. Hopefully we can turn behind the scenes round at the same time on pitch performances improve. COYD!

I know we haven't seen eye to eye but fully second very word on this! It does make me think what on earth is the board thinking? Seems there's ZERO direction or strategy/planning.

This circus of a club has got me thinking bring back Peaksy (obviously a joke), he would he leave Tamworth to come back to thus shambles?

Anyway, have a fantastic evening gents and ladygents - I'm off for a few pints to cheer myself up (and run away from the ball and chain for awhile) LOL
Fair play H&A. Cant believe it’s got to the point we can agree! I just hope we don’t go too far backwards before we start to move forward. Did I hear you were putting your name in the hat to join the board, or was that just a rumour amongst a few of the regulars?
mattparker
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

The new board has been in place for a matter of weeks you are already complaining about zero direction and strategy?
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by rdusher »

Go on then, I'll bite

What is that the board should / you would be doing to improve the direction or strategy / planning??
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by rickthediamond »

Really poor take. The new board has been superb, they’ve brought in Chris Nunn, an experienced manager at this level. They’ve cleared most of the old squad that were clearly not up to the task, including the termination of Fossen’s contract. Sponsorships have been rolling back in, todays attendance was much much improved, and relations with the volunteers/fans are getting back to where they once were.

One poor performance with our new squad in their first competitive game together should not discredit any of the above.

I for one think they are doing a grand job so far. None of us want to be in this position at the bottom of the table, but this is due to many poor, naive decisions made by the previous board. We might go down, but that nail in the coffin had already been hammered deep by the old board, Burgess, and Maxwell.
Lee Tomlin la la la
Rushdenanddiamonds
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Rushdenanddiamonds »

This is going to be an unpopular opinion. I thought the e football Burgess played was the best I have seen in the last few years. I would even say it was even better than what we saw under Peaks. The football Peaks used to play wasn’t great to watch but he got the results. At least Burgess had an identity of what he was trying to do. But as usual in football managers don’t get long enough. As for yesterday when we down to 10 men it looked like they had the extra man. Why we resorted to hoof ball when we had the extra man I don’t know
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Pete2011 and Homeandaway? I don't recall your names on this message board. The current Board are doing a great job and yesterday was a massive disappointment but there are some decent players there and the first half was quite entertaining and showed promise. Sadly the penalty killed off what could have been an exciting finish. We will probably win 7-0 next week🤔😊