P’boro Sports in trouble

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

P’boro Sports in trouble

Post by diamondsteve »

Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: P’boro Sports in trouble

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Not really surprising and little sympathy for them to be honest. They'll probably end up with a KC type who shuts them down and takes the land.
AFC R & D member number 34
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I think the costs of operating a club at Step 2 are quite an issue. Gloucester City seem to be in a similarly difficult position - https://www.gloucestercityafc.com/post/ ... -step-down
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

Well, Well, Well, what a shocker, NOT.

I think given our History we knew that was coming and i still Laugh when the term investor is ever mentioned in Football, would you invest given that after the rise up the leagues burning £600K in the process you still only have 300 fans through the door.

The reality is that Peterborough does not need 2 professional football Clubs.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Not paying the VAT man is always going to make you interesting to HMRC
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Biggles wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:40 am Well, Well, Well, what a shocker, NOT.

I think given our History we knew that was coming and i still Laugh when the term investor is ever mentioned in Football, would you invest given that after the rise up the leagues burning £600K in the process you still only have 300 fans through the door.

The reality is that Peterborough does not need 2 professional football Clubs.
You would have thought it could sustain a very decent non-league side though. For whatever reason the local community has never taken to that club. Despite that, I'm very surprised that this has happened given how even fairly recently they've been shelling out some very serious money and multi-year contracts to players. I had just assumed that their owner had a bottomless pit.

The 'little old Peterborough Sports' Cinderella story has been consistently peddled has always annoyed me. They deserve credit for doing what they've done because it's one thing having money, but quite another to make it work as well as they have. To pretend that wasn't the case though was insulting.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

Re The Gloucester statement. I think this is going to be a lot of clubs going forwards in the next year or two and this will knock onto a lot of the players who will not be getting the wages for part time football that they have come to expect .This will probably make players look closer to home for a team to join along with the amount of money some of them must be spending on transport costs, going to be an interesting couple of years especially in non league.
Bolts1988
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Bolts1988 »

A day ago Nuneaton started a crowd funder to back there promotion push. Target is 25k and I think they have raised 4% of that. Part of me thought the Chairman is probably running out of money just like the PS. Then today they sign Kyle Storer who terminated his contract at Solihull to go to Nuneaton "offer was too good to turn down" he was on £700 a week at Solihull.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Bolts1988 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:29 pm A day ago Nuneaton started a crowd funder to back there promotion push. Target is 25k and I think they have raised 4% of that. Part of me thought the Chairman is probably running out of money just like the PS. Then today they sign Kyle Storer who terminated his contract at Solihull to go to Nuneaton "offer was too good to turn down" he was on £700 a week at Solihull.
That's bleeding nuts. 😬😵
AFC R & D member number 34
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

The Hungerford Town chairman is taking over at Gloucester City,

https://www.gloucestercityafc.com/post/ ... w-chairman

I don't see Peterborough Sports as an appealing investment or a fairytale :cheesy: no wonder they used to be called Bearings Direct _ Biddle's lost his bearings!

If you want to look up the history of a club and come across drastic name changes it loses appeal and tradition, Oxford City is a club with pedigree and a better long term potential.

If you spend lots of money there is no fairytale in getting promoted, a fairytale is when the underdog achieves something you would never think possible,
like the Foxes winning the Premier League.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎