Richard Maxwell Appointed Manager

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Re: Richard Maxwell Appointed Manager

Post by fentiger79 »

Getting a new manager in should be a time of excitement and joy and this is anything but that. A lot of supported have their reasons as to why the disagree with this. At a time when it was needed to bring the club together this has actually made it worse. The ET report states permanent manager and I honestly believe the reason why it wasn’t in the awful club statement was cause they knew the grief that was coming. Whilst I don’t know all the details around the behaviours that are being mentioned I have heard of some incidents. My simple issue with this is that a board member who has been part of decisions to relieve the previous manager has been appointed manager by his colleagues who until his appointment was one of them. To stand down and use that as justification is pure nonsense. To then after everything that was said and done with Burge and what we need to keep us in this division we give the job to a manager from step 7 with no proper experience, contacts or knowledge of the league. We get blinkered when it comes to our football team but if this was to happen in your work place you would be kicking off, complaining, striking, all sorts. If you can’t see that this is wrong so be it.
Brownie
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Brownie »

Bob's Bitch wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:23 am From the outside (and I totally admit I'm out of the loop and I'm happy to be corrected) I don't get the fuss. Bloke who clearly cares about the club, is a licensed coach is coming in for a few games more. The statement says 'ongoing basis', not permanent. So this is just caretaker?

If other members are critical and want EGMs etc, I actually think that's a healthy thing in a CBS. Given that turnout for most elections are low, maybe this will encourage more people to come forward on the board to be the change they want?

Just saying 'I'm not going to attend anymore', I genuinely don't understand that. A club that is run by the fans, can be changed by the fans. Why would you just give up?!
But it is only a Fan Owned Club in name Rob, the Fans (owners ) are only consulted or even spoken to when a large lump of brown stuff is heading towards a series of rotating metal blades, when more money or free help is required and the post usually starts "it's your Club you need to" outside that it's run by a small tightknit group who probably tell their own family members more than they tell the Club "owners"
In the official statement much was made of EUFA qualifications ffs Ernie Tippett will be back next at this rate, also the wording of the position is odd to say the least. Historically football has Managers - full time appointed post, Caretaker - in the hot seat until a Manager is appointed, Interim - Caretaker but probably on a shorter term. This appointment is "ongoing basis" wtf does that mean?? my interpretation would be, we have given him the job but if it fails miserably within the next 6/8 weeks he can step down (probably go back on the board) and you the Fans will be told well we said it was only "ongoing" which we thought you all understood to be short term. At which point I guess Nunny will be asked and turn it down again. This dreadful s>>t storm that has hit the Club has been brewing for years and I don't think has come as a shock to anyone who follows NL Football.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

BartonRaz wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:05 am I like Richard and admire what he's been able to do with this group of players in a short space of time. People have their own personal issues with him which is fine and I'd never question those. Others will never take to him due to solidarity with a guy who left 8 months ago, a guy who was happy to take our best players in the summer. I don't get that one, but whatever. If a Guy Hadland or Chris Nunn had have come in and done what Maxwell has done over the past fortnight people would be more than happy with this appointment.

However, whoever is in control of these decisions, specifically this decision, is tone-deaf at best and brazen. The decision not only flies in the face of everything said in the co-chairman's interview with Jon Dunham after Burgess was sacked, but is also in my opinion morally wrong on the basis that we've appointed a board member to manage the first team, which is indefensible regardless of qualifications. It's not a fair process if somebody is at such a huge advantage. It really bothers me how this will look to the wider footballing community and paints the board and the overall decision making process in a very poor light. It's laughable. It didn't need to happen.

I feel sorry for Richard Maxwell who is now on a hiding to nothing. One bad performance will result in a torrent of abuse and it could happen immediately tomorrow. I feel sorry for those working within the club who have presumably now got to either toe the party line in the face of what's likely to be a barrage of discontent, or resign.

With the above being said, I don't think my support for the club could ever be dictated by whoever was in the dugout, so that continues.
Then why add “ongoing basis” to the statement it’s strange. Maybe the board know there’s a possibility that if fans turn on him then they will have to change him. So they have left the door open by saying “on going basis”

First negative performance or result will lead to a torrent of abuse I agree with you . Such a strange decision. Why cannot everyone be transparent!!!

I think we would be better off not being a community fans owed club right now and just have one person in charge
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I think we need to know which board members are behind this appointment. Regardless of personal opinions, to give the job to someone without any kind of pedigree above step 7 on the back of one win seems to be failing to learn from (very recent) mistakes.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Brownie wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:01 amBut it is only a Fan Owned Club in name Rob, the Fans (owners ) are only consulted or even spoken to when a large lump of brown stuff is heading towards a series of rotating metal blades, when more money or free help is required and the post usually starts "it's your Club you need to" outside that it's run by a small tightknit group who probably tell their own family members more than they tell the Club "owners"
If this feeling that its fans-owned only in name is that widespread then hopefully an EGM can be called, at least maybe to clear the air. I'm just slightly concerned that there never seem to be that many fans offering to stand on the board. Would this change if the toxic people left? Genuine question.
diamondsteve wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:13 am I think we would be better off not being a community fans owed club right now and just have one person in charge.
Speechless.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by bozzer »

If this feeling that its fans-owned only in name is that widespread then hopefully an EGM can be called, at least maybe to clear the air. I'm just slightly concerned that there never seem to be that many fans offering to stand on the board. Would this change if the toxic people left? Genuine question.

I think this is the crux of it, the supporters and members need to be able to say there is enough people who will step forward, and these people need to be new who haven't served before, if not then we need to question whether there is a future of being fan owned.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Biggles
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by Biggles »

Well in my opinion it means we have gone as far as we can and in fact i feel we will have to go back to level 4 as this means our budget is now far to low to even keep us at level 3.

I think the board need to be frank and honest about our position and budget, we the fans voted to not increase the gate price and with inflation and costs means our income must now be under stress and frankly for fans to throw the teddy out of the pram and refuse to come will just put further strain on finances.

It will be a long winter using mostly under 23 team and their loyalty to Richard Maxwell but the current show of Adrenalin will only last a few games
before the drubbings start again, what will be, will be.

Now diamondsteve does have a valid point about should we give up our fan owned status, if we want to continue to grow and rise up the ladder then
yes that is to only way it will happen.

Sorry for a pessimistic view but this appointment means the above to me.

Hope i am wrong
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

I totally agree that I believe the board have no intentions of keeping us at step 3 and see a more desired option of playing UCL football with the U23’s firming the Mens team. The appointment doesn’t make me see anything other than that.
AFCRDPete2011
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by AFCRDPete2011 »

Frankly appalled at such a shocking decision, but ultimately it does make sense when then person appointed was sat on the board that appointed him! Disgrace! We’re the laughing stock of the league and the other local teams, seeing K*ttering fans on Twitter celebrating the appointment? It just goes to show how far we’ve sunk.

Tuesday was a good win of course, but such a big decision off the back of new manager bounce surely could not have been made on the spot? Surely this was premeditated? It seems like the board have given up on wanting to keep us in the league just to satisfy one of their own! The 23’s will work hard but in this league there’s no substitute for experience when the squad we have is struggling as it is.

Personally, this does it for me at the club. I’ve followed AFCRD for years now through the good and the bad, and I simply can’t watch as the club goes backwards. Why on earth did we ever let Peaks go? Burgess struggled as someone with far greater credentials than this new fella has! I‘ll now be debating whether to go and watch Cobblers or, even worse, K*ttering on Saturday. Really not happy here. Good luck to the new boss - he has a lot of doubters to prove wrong.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 108 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I’ve had some time to think the announcement over, and once again it seems the board have gone down the easy route. A number of us on here said we shouldn’t appoint from within, and this is exactly what has happened. It can be sugarcoated with, well he stepped down, that’s bollocks, all smoke and mirrors.

Who is RM going to get in to get us out of the predicament we find ourselves in? Under 23 players aren’t the answer.

I’m sure Andy Peaks is having a chuckle to himself.

Having said all that I’ll still be attending on Saturday.
Last edited by AFCRD_Dan on Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73