Next Manager Thread

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Next Manager Thread

Post by NN10-Nige »

Can't believe we didn't have a next manager thread,

Anyone got any names to throw in the hat?

Personally I would go for Chris Nunn at Kempston Rovers, a very experienced and capable manager.

I see a few stumbling blocks though...
  • He was at Biggleswade Town for a very long time - so he is obviously loyal.
  • He has been backed fairly well at Kempston Rovers - a good reason for him to be loyal to them.
  • We apparently chose Andy Burgess over him last time round - will he have a 'I wasn't good enough for you back then so f*ck you' mindset.
If it's not Nunn then I am short of ideas.

I have a strong feeling that we will go for a Gary Mills...
  • Gary Mills - the Rushden & Diamonds player - because we love sentiment - and he has actually managed a bit of men's football.
  • Gary Mills - the very experienced non league manager - he was at Corby Town last season so he's not out of our reach.
I wouldn't actually be too down if it was the latter, he did reasonably well in his first season at Corby.
smoky
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: Next Manager Thread

Post by smoky »

I think either of those two would be a sign that we are trying to get ourselves out of a bit of a mess,anything would be good.
Bolts1988
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Bolts1988 »

Nunny would be my 1st choice and should have got the job when he applied... respected manager in non league and knows the levels. But I think we can wave goodbye to him now after what he is doing at Kempston.

Ricky Marheineke should be on the shortlist aswell, not saying he would come but again knows this level.

I can see us knocking on the door at Daventry for another ex player to come in as manager though.
NN10-Nige

Post by NN10-Nige »

Bolts1988 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:01 pm Ricky Marheineke should be on the shortlist aswell, not saying he would come but again knows this level.
Good shout, and like Nunn he's experienced being at the same club for a good few years, would certainly bring some optimism about the future not just the present.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Guy Hadland has to be an option as he is unattached at present. St Ives Ricky not very likely with them going so well in FA Cup and we can't afford to wait much longer. I am confident Chairman Chris Mac has it all under control and will make announcement soon.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Hopefully our board have learnt their lesson and won’t appoint another ex-player in Gary Mills who according to Wikipedia hasn’t managed since 2017.

Chris Nunn or Guy Hadland for me
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

In context for this thread I guess..

NN10-Nige

Post by NN10-Nige »

Given that last night we saw a team who had gone back to basics, had a fighting spirit and were determined to get something from the game...

Why don't we give Richard Maxwell a few more games? He said himself he's in 'dreamland' so he won't mind.

Look at it this way, on Saturday we lost 4-0 - but we did see an improvement from the previous games.

On Tuesday night we won 2-1 - we defended better, we scored 2 goals and again there was an improvement.

Chris Nunn and Ricky Marheineke are both in jobs so there's no rush to get them in before someone snaps them up.

At the end of the day if the team had shown the spirit they did last night for Burgess - losing wouldn't have been so hard to take, lets give Maxwell a few more games, if we end up losing to a team in and around the relegation zone - at least we have the 3 unexpected points on the tally.

I wasn't impressed with his 'have fun' comment - but that's taking the pressure off the team and is a hell of a lot better than knocking the confidence out of them even more by saying they can all leave like a moron just weeks after you'd tweeted how pleased you were to get them signed :cheesy:

I want to see the team putting in the effort, defending like they care and most of all enjoying their football, if I see that than I don't care who is in charge.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Most definitely not. New manager in now and a fresh start. Anything else is just ludicrous.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

To be honest, (knack of stating the obvious here) the choice of new manager will depend upon who applies for the job, or who accepts approaches the board may make about it - it won’t, nor should it, ever be made public who does that. It’s confidential, they may already be at a club and don’t want their current club to know of their interest.

I know who I’d take in a heartbeat - but I’ve no idea if he would be interested!

Can’t wait to find out though - but for all the vitriol some threw around about Richard, I’m glad he got what he deserved - it was clear the lads knew the system he wanted to play, I stood near the dugout for a time and the encouragement and direction from the bench was refreshing to see/hear!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51