Lost [ Tue 20th Sep ] v Stamford AFC, KO 7:45pm FRIENDLY AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Re: [ Tue 20th Sep ] v Stamford AFC, KO 7:45pm FRIENDLY AWAY

Post by Olly »

Finished 2-1 to Stamford, so what was the point of tonight? If we were hoping to experience a morale boosting win, surely a strong unbeaten step 4 team wasn't exactly the best choice!

Honestly cannot see us winning a game at this point, friendly, cup, league, it just isn't working, I know we've been lucky to have a successful first 10 years as a club and it was inevitable that we would see some less successful periods, but this is ****ing miserable. Roll on Saturday I guess!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Would this current team beat our 2012/3 team?
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Trek wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:52 pm Would this current team beat our 2012/3 team?
No it wouldn't. Don't think our defence could deal with an attack of gearing, wisniewski, Taylor and newman. Also, the defence of Merrill, Deakin, hope and Brown would come out on top against our youthful attack. I'd go for a 3-1 win for the old team
Basil

Post by Basil »

This current team couldn’t beat an egg :nono:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No: 26
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:03 pm
Trek wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:52 pm Would this current team beat our 2012/3 team?
No it wouldn't. Don't think our defence could deal with an attack of gearing, wisniewski, Taylor and newman. Also, the defence of Merrill, Deakin, hope and Brown would come out on top against our youthful attack. I'd go for a 3-1 win for the old team
Don’t forget Ellwood and Morgan who were useful and it was a pleasure to watch that group of players.
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

Olly wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:51 pm Finished 2-1 to Stamford, so what was the point of tonight?
Stamford were looking for a fixture, we were doing them a favour.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

So it felt like again it was the first time the group of players had played together.

Started bright lots of talking amongst the players which was good to hear , the two trialists started well . Then the goal…. completely wiped any confidence that we might of had to zero .

From then on it was a mess , I heard Burg go nuts at one point at a defender never heard him like that before he’s obviously under pressure now .

Free header near post 2nd goal easy as you like.

We had an extra coach in the dugout btw!

Cooper took his goal well . But we just looked so poor tonight at the back , like so poor!! We could be having a great chance to score then suddenly they calve through our defence like hot knife through butter.

Hicks MOTM commanding all game. Hicks ended the last 15 in CB position with Hughes , with Sutherland and Black as fullbacks . Hines needs 5 more games to be match fit. Lashley hobbled off Injured but imo he’s not good enough anyway , all effort but no quality or brain.

All in all we look like we played our very first pre season in July that’s what it felt. A mess needs so much sorting out
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Great question! Thought this myself the other day. Much as we remember that team and those years so fondly, I think the answer is yes.

2013/2014 debatable and I'd probably start leaning towards no at that point. From 2014/15 onwards, hell no. Could you imagine this lot trying to deal with Russ Dunkley?
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

Nope, in football team spirit can go further than ability, we see it every year with a non league club beating a League One or Championship club in the FA cups, while players in our current team on paper have more ability than our 2012/13 team, the team spirit we had back then would edge the game.

At the minute our team are a bunch of individuals who are short of ideas, we rarely create, we get the majority of the basics wrong, once the manager makes a public comment about any of them being free to leave then it's hard to see why they would be interested in playing well for this manager.

Given they aren't on contracts they are probably sticking around to pick up appearance fees.

I'm not being critical of the players with these comments by the way, we do have ability in the team, it just takes a manager to bring it out, look at Manchester United under Mourinho, they had some poor results and sacked him, Solskjær went in and they went something like 10 or more games unbeaten, I think Chelsea were poor under Villas-Boas so they sacked him, Di Matteo went in and they won the champions league, that's proof that if the players aren't inspired by you then they can underperform badly, a new manager can go in and all of a sudden they are good players again.

Could this current team under Burgess beat our current under 23 team?
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

We did win the second half 1 - 0 so any little victory will do at the moment.
I seem to remember when we first put a senior team together that they only got paid for a draw or win, maybe something we should re-instate?
Anyone know who was the other coach on the bench? Maybe Richard from the U23s ?
AFC R & D member number 34