[ Sat 17th Sep ] U23s v Corby White Hart Locos, KO 2:30pm NCLP HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

[ Sat 17th Sep ] U23s v Corby White Hart Locos, KO 2:30pm NCLP HOME

Post by Dazzler »

@ISLIP NN14 3LH
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: [ Sat 17th Sep ] U23s v Corby White Hart Locos, KO 2:30pm NCLP HOME

Post by Formic »

I posed a question after this team played Roade at Step 7, and no answer was forthcoming, so I will try again.

We tweeted that an Academy U21 side faced Barwell Under 21 on the same day as this U23 side faced Roade. A Barwell youth team looks more like the sort of opposition we ought to be facing if players are to make any kind of step up to the first team, yet it seems to get next to no mention. Confusingly though, on the Midland League website our U21 side is called an Under 19 side.

I asked the question all those years ago about what kind of benefits we were getting from these junior sides - and the costs associated, given the apparent lack of a decent progression into the first team, with players imported into the side who hadn't come through the ranks, and was batted back by the Club Chairman at the time. Perhaps our new chair committee might provide the answers.

I am a big fan of the U18 setup, and used to follow the U18 side when we had a single focus and logical progression through the Academy sides, but can't get to grips with these sides at older age groups - especially one playing at Step 7 that seems to get such a focus.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 58 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I have never understood just what the set up is for Academy through to U23's. We seem to have or have had several different "pathways". Just what are scholars, do they attend Moulton College and get extra football tuition? Why do we need u23's and u21's. By that age their ability should be obvious and there are plenty of clubs from Step 6 to 4 they could play for. Once they get to 18 if they show promise sign them on dual reg. I have asked in the past for a full detailed explanation but it has not been forthcoming. It is also well known that one reason for Peaks departure was that he also had concerns as to the viability and purpose and management of these teams.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I would have thought that ideally they serve as a reserve team. It is possible to have a reserve at Step 6m, but you need the facilities.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

The financial arrangements/benefits for these associations with MAA and Moulton College are never properly explained to fans in general and members in particular so it’s no wonder we are confused.☹️
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

This has been drawn to my attention but I am not sure it fully answers all the questions that fans may have regarding funding etc when we must have one of the smallest playing budgets in the division and whilst I note the continued desire of the Board to place such emphasis on Youth development and pathway opportunities at the Club I do wonder if it’s done at the expense of the First Team?

https://www.afcdiamonds.com/academy-und ... -division/
Andrew
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Andrew »

Trek wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:50 am This has been drawn to my attention but I am not sure it fully answers all the questions that fans may have regarding funding etc when we must have one of the smallest playing budgets in the division and whilst I note the continued desire of the Board to place such emphasis on Youth development and pathway opportunities at the Club I do wonder if it’s done at the expense of the First Team?

The academy was never at the expense of the 1st team. It covered it’s own costs every season. This was run extremely well by the people who ran it at the time. To my knowledge unless changed, this is what cover the cost of the U23s. currently.
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Andrew wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:17 pm
Trek wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:50 am This has been drawn to my attention but I am not sure it fully answers all the questions that fans may have regarding funding etc when we must have one of the smallest playing budgets in the division and whilst I note the continued desire of the Board to place such emphasis on Youth development and pathway opportunities at the Club I do wonder if it’s done at the expense of the First Team?

The academy was never at the expense of the 1st team. It covered it’s own costs every season. This was run extremely well by the people who ran it at the time. To my knowledge unless changed, this is what cover the cost of the U23s. currently.
I can see what you are saying, but it is this blurring of the "academy" term that adds to the confusion. We are used to an excellent Academy setup that caters for all of school age, which indeed does have a clear indication that it covers its costs. There was then an U21 side set up that didn't appear self-funded, and further blurring started when our U18 side changed to only allow those who followed the academically-based MAA route to continue with the club. The misjudgement there appeared to be corrected when parallel U18 Academy sides were brought back in. The U21 side continued to float on its own until it too was given an Academy tag - but still without a clear statement of how it was funded, as clearly there wouldn't be the sort of parental contributions one might get at younger levels. Various other changes including the Moulton alignment have followed, but we have further confusion introduced with the new U23 side.

There have been many attempts to convince the fanbase that the pathway needs to include the U21 / U23 side of things, but it seems most of the successful pathway examples have come fairly directly from the junior Academy sides, often with match experience at UCL clubs.
Andrew
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Andrew »

Formic wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:38 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:17 pm

I can see what you are saying, but it is this blurring of the "academy" term that adds to the confusion. We are used to an excellent Academy setup that caters for all of school age, which indeed does have a clear indication that it covers its costs. There was then an U21 side set up that didn't appear self-funded, and further blurring started when our U18 side changed to only allow those who followed the academically-based MAA route to continue with the club. The misjudgement there appeared to be corrected when parallel U18 Academy sides were brought back in. The U21 side continued to float on its own until it too was given an Academy tag - but still without a clear statement of how it was funded, as clearly there wouldn't be the sort of parental contributions one might get at younger levels. Various other changes including the Moulton alignment have followed, but we have further confusion introduced with the new U23 side.

There have been many attempts to convince the fanbase that the pathway needs to include the U21 / U23 side of things, but it seems most of the successful pathway examples have come fairly directly from the junior Academy sides, often with match experience at UCL clubs.
A lot of recent academy players that played have recently decided to get that valuable experience through UCL sides at Cogenhoe and Bugbrooke at step 5 and are flourishing. I’d say in 18 months - 2 years a lot of them will be looking to play at least step 4 or higher quite comfortably.