Won [ Sat 24th Sep ] v Barwell, KO 3pm SLPDC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Re: [ Sat 24th Sep ] v Barwell, KO 3pm SLPDC AWAY

Post by Olly »

Well I was afraid it was going to be another long afternoon in the first 20 minutes, but we really grew into the game as we settled down and while I was critical of him the other day, it was fantastic to see Miguel have such an impact with a brilliant goal and setting up for the second, hopefully he can really push on make an impact for us after today.

Obviously Snedker will take the plaudits for saving us at the end, but while we did look again vulnerable at the back for the last 20 minutes I still thought all in all in was a solid team performance, good to have Fossen back, thought he had a really good game mostly. And needless to say it was such a fantastic feeling at the end of the game after such long time without a win, the fans in great spirits and players with big smiles on their faces!

Off the bottom and not as adrift as we were, but still very much in need of strengthening though and tough game on Tuesday that let's be honest, we would take a point from.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 58 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Have to endorse all others comments. A big test on Tuesday where I would be happy with a point then another point at least next week at Hednesford. Good to hear Ngwa finding some end product. Mounting injuries something of a concern.
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by rdusher »

In honesty I think we've played better football at times this season without results, but today there seemed a different attitude about the team. People throwing their bodies on the line for the team, stronger in the tackle, and grinding out the win towards the end.

Brilliant finish from Miguel for the first goal, Sneds pulling out some world class saves, Connor Tee involved in everything, but for me Hughes was an unsung hero, didn't put a foot wrong at CB.

People will still have their hang ups about the team and the gaffer, but for tonight, let's enjoy the win!!!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Wasn't there today but so glad to see we've got that gorilla-sized monkey off our backs. Not just the players, as fans we've waited 5-6 months for that!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Easton Diamond
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Easton Diamond »

Absolutely delighted for Andy Burgess, Chris Willmott and the players. They’ve taken much criticism on here for weeks (some warranted, some not IMO) so this win is a fantastic response. I thought it was a slow start for us so the goal came at the perfect time. Ngwa did well to get past his man and what a cool finish into the far corner. There was a glorious chance for Cooper soon after but unfortunately he snatched at it. It really was a dream start to the second half with Hicks scoring with his follow-up attempt after hitting the post.

We were starting to enjoy ourselves at 2-0 up but fair play to Barwell who really fought back. They certainly deserved their goal and from then on our backs were against the wall. Their impressive number 14 Beck-Ray Enoru made a huge impact towards the end and gave us a massive problem. Heaven only knows why he didn’t start the game. Such a relief that we just about managed to see things out for a crucial win.

The best goalkeeper in the league made three top class saves that undoubtedly won us the match. Still we seemed to have so much more stability with Fossen at the back, a solid performance from him considering his recent injury lay-off. Everyone played their part in some way though. It’s a free shot against Coalville on Tuesday night; no-one will expect us to get anything. I’d like to see us take the game to them and have a real good go!
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Thrilled for the players, management, volunteers and supporters on getting this victory, great commentary from Ollie and Joseph, it sounded very tense at the end.

Maybe we haven’t been as far off it as some have suggested in the past, we seem to have been in most games, so now we know what it takes to turn these games into wins, let’s get behind them all again on Tuesday
AFC R&D Member No. 67
smoky
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by smoky »

Great result for everyone especially the players who have finally got the result they have been searching for. Burge was a different man on his interview, positive and emotional and relieved to get his first win under his belt,now has he said the players know what they have to do to get results so nows the time for us as supporters to get behind them and play our part.
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

AFCRDTV speaks to Andy Burgess

rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

Wasn’t following during the game as was at a wedding, and sat with Bedford club sec and thought he was as winding me up when he told me the result!!
As others have said, hopefully this kick starts the season - tough game Tuesday though
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham speaks to Andy Burgess