Lost [ Tue 13th Sep ] v Stratford Town, KO 7:45pm SLPDC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: [ Tue 13th Sep ] v Stratford Town, KO 7:45pm SLPDC AWAY

Post by GreekDiamond »

Andy speaks of letting players go and if some want to leave to save him a job. Once again I think his words could come back to bite him and the club. Say a number have had enough and go, it took the management 7 weeks to bring in 2 attackers we were desperate for and we only have 11 days until the next game. Our already thin squad could get a lot thinner.

I’m sorry but this is his team he built, it’s failed drastically and now he wants more time and games to make wholesale changes again. In my opinion we saw what was to come at the end of last season with a way stronger and established squad. He couldn’t find a way to keep a 9/10 point lead in the playoffs so how do we expect he’s going to find the way out of this mess.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Ricky330 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 am
BartonRaz wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:43 am
diamondsteve wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:18 am An honest interview from Burg “it’s either me or the players which needs to go” “if anyone wants to leave right now let me know and do me a favour”
You can admire the honesty but ultimately it's the Manager that's brought the players in. He's put this squad together in his image, a squad so young and inexperienced at this level I have no idea how he ever thought it would work. It would be wrong to blame the players at this point, IMO.
The comments in the interview about telling the players that they are good enough to walk into any team in the league, but then says if they don't want to stay they can leave, suggests that he has lost their confidence or worse still, lost the dressing room!
Paddy's exit would seem to add credence to this??
All the dots are joining . He has to say that’s it’s the players fault to cover his side of the story , but also knows that in the end it’s his team, his fault ,his tactics & his stats .

So he’s right that the players could still walk into any side (bench low money)!! He’s right that for a manager with a bad cv 19 w4 (stats) it’s very hard to find a new job.

At this point though from the clubs position it needs to end. 11 days to sort something, it’s s**t I know, needs a new management with their own overhaul of players.

Burg also needs to take the higher ground here
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

diamondsteve wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:18 am An honest interview from Burg “it’s either me or the players which needs to go” “if anyone wants to leave right now let me know and do me a favour”
You can admire the honesty but ultimately it's the Manager that's brought the players in. He's put this squad together in his image, a squad so young and inexperienced at this level I have no idea how he ever thought it would work. It would be wrong to blame the players at this point, IMO.
Indeed, and most concerning IMO is that it took so long to assemble that squad.

The performance against Ilkeston a couple of weeks ago looked like we were heading in the right direction, but we seem to be going backwards again now. Barwell in 10 days time will be our 10th competitive game of the season (including Cogenhoe in the HSC), and failure to get a positive result there has to spell the end for Burgess. October and November look far trickier on paper than August and September have been.

10 days to turn around 5 months of rebuilding - I really hope Burge can do it as I believe he has brought a lot of positive changes to the club, but those changes can't come at the expense of winning games.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

davealbon wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:24 am
Indeed, and most concerning IMO is that it took so long to assemble that squad.

The performance against Ilkeston a couple of weeks ago looked like we were heading in the right direction, but we seem to be going backwards again now. Barwell in 10 days time will be our 10th competitive game of the season (including Cogenhoe in the HSC), and failure to get a positive result there has to spell the end for Burgess. October and November look far trickier on paper than August and September have been.

10 days to turn around 5 months of rebuilding - I really hope Burge can do it as I believe he has brought a lot of positive changes to the club, but those changes can't come at the expense of winning games.
Would be a waste on 10 days tbf. If you get a new manager after that he has a game on the Tuesday night , won’t be enough time would just have a Thursday training then back to a shit squad again the following Saturday
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

Andy Burgess built this team, it is his team, he's basically now saying they can go if they want to.

Question... How many of us went to pre season friendlies and were disappointed by the performances and results?

A good few I reckon.

Andy Burgess was also at those matches, right?

Those matches would have helped him to decide which players to sign.

His player judgment was not up to scratch in the summer and it isn't going to be up to scratch 2 months later.

The crossroads are... do we just let him sign more players and risk losing a few of the ones we do have? or do we go for a new manager who could maybe motivate the players and get the best from them?

We have all seen good passages of play from individuals in this team which show they are capable of producing, let's get someone in who firstly they respect and secondly can coach and motivate them.
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

NN10-Nige wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:50 pm Andy Burgess built this team, it is his team, he's basically now saying they can go if they want to.

Question... How many of us went to pre season friendlies and were disappointed by the performances and results?

A good few I reckon.

Andy Burgess was also at those matches, right?

Those matches would have helped him to decide which players to sign.

His player judgment was not up to scratch in the summer and it isn't going to be up to scratch 2 months later.

The crossroads are... do we just let him sign more players and risk losing a few of the ones we do have? or do we go for a new manager who could maybe motivate the players and get the best from them?

We have all seen good passages of play from individuals in this team which show they are capable of producing, let's get someone in who firstly they respect and secondly can coach and motivate them.
Couldn’t have put it better.

We all wanted Burge to be successful especially given his connections with RDFC however it’s clearly not going to work. 10 days break gives a bit of time to make a change however who’d be suitable/ wants the job is another discussion……
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

Diamond_ Wolf wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:56 pm10 days break gives a bit of time to make a change however who’d be suitable/ wants the job is another discussion……
I was thinking the same immediately after the full time whistle last night. However, having thought about it some more, 10 days is very little time to make any meaningful changes. It's unlikely we'd have a new manager in place by the weekend, which means they'd be very unlikely to have signed anyone ahead of the Barwell game, given the 7 day rule for signing non-contract players. That would give them at best two training sessions to get to know the existing squad and instil their own philosophy/tactics ahead of a game which we really need to be taking something from, ideally winning.

Perhaps this is my heart ruling my head, but I'd give Burgess one more shot to strengthen the squad and get us back on the right path.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Realistically we are not in a position to overhaul the squad , which a new manager would more than likely wish to do.
As has been pointed out, we have some good players here that need the right encouragement & motivation.
We have all seen sparks of what could be with this current squad.
Therefore, doesn't it make more sense (certainly financially) to bring someone in who knows the level & area to assist Burge??
Someone who can get us back to the basics of playing football to win because you enjoy it??
Someone to help bring everything together??
A BIG ASK I KNOW but, IMO this our best option to save our season & I implore the board to really consider this
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

NN10-Nige wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:50 pmWe have all seen good passages of play from individuals in this team which show they are capable of producing, let's get someone in who firstly they respect and secondly can coach and motivate them.
I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that the players don't respect Burgess (with the exception of Paddy if rumours are to be believed), they were all happy to join the club with him at the helm.

Yes, we've seen glimpses of what the players can do, but do you honestly think this squad is good enough to survive at this level, regardless of the manager? Unless they have all been massively underperforming every game, there are only 6 in the squad who I would be disappointed to see leave, and one of those is due to his potential and not because of his performances so far.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

Post by Dazzler »

AFCRDTV MATCH Highlights