Someone has to start it

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: Someone has to start it

Post by GreekDiamond »

BartonRaz wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:46 pm
davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm Biff and Dudding were absolutely not the answer, and the board were spot on to bring in a caretaker manager. We'll never know if we'd have made the play offs if Peaksy had stayed, but anyone who argues we would have done with no Collard, Deacon or Shamsi (not to mention Diamond and Hughes for a while as well) clearly has a very short memory.

Burge has brought in a much greater level of professionalism, and a playing style which is far better to watch than we've been used to. However, it's results that matter, and the squad we have at the moment just doesn't seem to be good enough to compete at our level. We've known this for a while now and it hasn't been addressed. I'm sure it's not due to a lack of effort, but either Burge is being too picky about the players he wants, or his contacts aren't as good as he claims.

I'm not going to be calling for his head yet, but something has to change and fast. I will agree that the board were hasty in giving Burge a contract, and that could prove to be a costly mistake if he can't turn things around soon.
My thoughts almost exactly Dave.

I'm sure those that were at the game are furious and rightly so. But by losing Burge now, we're left with a squad entirely in his image, a squad which I don't think any incoming manager would be thrilled to inherit. That isn't necessarily justification to keep him but I don't think we'll have experienced managers banging our door down at the moment and if they did, they'd probably have to overhaul a squad that's only just been put together. I don't think that's the fix we need at the moment.

You could hardly have hand-picked a kinder start to the season both in terms of league fixtures and FA Cup draw, but the end result is brutal, that's a fact. We've wasted a month now with glaring deficiencies in the squad continuing to go unaddressed. Let another month drift by and the situation won't be recoverable. It's time to act on the playing front, now.
Sadly I’m not sure I even trust burgess with extra funds to add to the squad. You’re totally right in that things have to be sorted right now.
SimonHillington9
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by SimonHillington9 »

Can’t believe it. Gone from a wonderful day yday . Some mightve seen my post, had me feeling hopeful. To today feeling shit. I was a fool, hold my hands up.

I’ve been banging the drum, why we spent money on the vests instead of a striker at this level is truly beyond me. Might as well have brought a pint for all fans on match day. What could they actually be telling us or adding, could someone please let me know??
Can any1 also xplain what is professionalism and how it’s helping this club, is this what we are hanging r hat on every game week, despite being bottom of table and out of cups. What manager isn’t professional or has professionalism.
Who actually things we are playing well, haven’t deserved a win all season. FACT.
The mind boggles some of u think this is salvageable? How ?? Would love some of ur ideas

Seen burge rubbing his face all game, must be hoping for a genie to grant us 3 wishes. I’d just be happy with 3 points!!
If you want the rainbow, youve got to put up with the rain
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

SimonHillington9 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:02 pm...why we spent money on the vests instead of a striker at this level is truly beyond me.
As has already been pointed out, we didn't spend money on the GPS vests instead of a new striker. Criticise the recruitment, tactics etc, but what you're suggesting is simply not true.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
SimonHillington9
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by SimonHillington9 »

davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:12 pm
SimonHillington9 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:02 pm...why we spent money on the vests instead of a striker at this level is truly beyond me.
As has already been pointed out, we didn't spend money on the GPS vests instead of a new striker. Criticise the recruitment, tactics etc, but what you're suggesting is simply not true.
Do we have a GPS vest fund that can only be spent on vests and nothing else? If new manager didn’t want them would we just have money sitting there doing sod all like player lottery fund?

I’m sure players have been ruled out on cost, and not making a big spend on the vests could’ve helped
If you want the rainbow, youve got to put up with the rain
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by bozzer »

SimonHillington9 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:34 pm
Do we have a GPS vest fund that can only be spent on vests and nothing else? If new manager didn’t want them would we just have money sitting there doing sod all like player lottery fund?

I’m sure players have been ruled out on cost, and not making a big spend on the vests could’ve helped
How much do you think these vests costs?
Say they are £1000 that’s £25 a week over the season if they have indeed come off the budget and I would be very surprised if they have. Even at twice that it’s not the cost of a striker.

THE VESTS ARENT THE PROBLEM!!!

We need some experienced men and a striker for this level!
AFC R&D Member No. 67
mattparker
Has Liked: 43 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

SimonHillington9 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:02 pm Can’t believe it. Gone from a wonderful day yday . Some mightve seen my post, had me feeling hopeful. To today feeling shit. I was a fool, hold my hands up.
Oh we saw it Simon, we saw it. Very heartfelt and convincing it was too
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm Biff and Dudding were absolutely not the answer, and the board were spot on to bring in a caretaker manager. We'll never know if we'd have made the play offs if Peaksy had stayed, but anyone who argues we would have done with no Collard, Deacon or Shamsi (not to mention Diamond and Hughes for a while as well) clearly has a very short memory.

Burge has brought in a much greater level of professionalism, and a playing style which is far better to watch than we've been used to. However, it's results that matter, and the squad we have at the moment just doesn't seem to be good enough to compete at our level. We've known this for a while now and it hasn't been addressed. I'm sure it's not due to a lack of effort, but either Burge is being too picky about the players he wants, or his contacts aren't as good as he claims.

I'm not going to be calling for his head yet, but something has to change and fast. I will agree that the board were hasty in giving Burge a contract, and that could prove to be a costly mistake if he can't turn things around soon.
We would of 100% made the playoffs if peaks was still here. The last min goal against and the two home games when we needed a point against teams which had nothing to play for , yes we would of got the point needed.

Nuneaton last game was when I first knew something wasn’t right , how the players just played like they didn’t want the last place was head scratching!!
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

bozzer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:39 pm

How much do you think these vests costs?
Say they are £1000 that’s £25 a week over the season if they have indeed come off the budget and I would be very surprised if they have. Even at twice that it’s not the cost of a striker.

THE VESTS ARENT THE PROBLEM!!!

We need some experienced men and a striker for this level!
Well considering, let’s say we have 15 vests… there’s the vest, the gps device and then a ‘subscription’ to activate said device to use it to its potential. Total starting cost for that is £5,500. Plus the yearly subscription we have to continue paying to make them work. Do you really think that’s the best use of that £5.5k, because I don’t for a team in complete rebuild that could of benefitted from it.
Last edited by GreekDiamond on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by davealbon »

One day, when you've grown up a bit, you might understand how a budget works. We have a wage budget which determines how much we can spend on player wages. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine we're not spending our maximum weekly budget currently - it would be very concerning if we are.

Moreover, as you've already pointed out, we have a pot of lottery money sat there not being fully utilised, so if the right player became available I'm sure we would use this fulfil his wage demands, as we have done to keep Sneds and no doubt sign one or two others.

The GPS vests are no more a cause of our recruitment problems than the amount spent on pitch maintenance.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

We need at least 3 decent players, that’s 200-300 per player.