Someone has to start it

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Someone has to start it

Post by sussexdiamond »

Burgess must go. It was a risk appointing someone with no managerial experience and no knowledge of our level. The board acted far too hastily. Should have kept Biff and Dudding to end of season then taken stock of the situation.
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: Someone has to start it

Post by rossco »

Far too early to start that. In my opinion - unlucky with departures and injuries end of last season and now has basically a whole new squad to work with. 7 games is too early to start calling for his head. Remember 12 months ago? I was calling for Peaks to go and 2 players turned it round.. that’s all this will take

Happy to be shouted down in a month if we’re still bottom!!
Jazzy_10
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Jazzy_10 »

rossco wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:30 pm Far too early to start that. In my opinion - unlucky with departures and injuries end of last season and now has basically a whole new squad to work with. 7 games is too early to start calling for his head. Remember 12 months ago? I was calling for Peaks to go and 2 players turned it round.. that’s all this will take

Another month?! For someone that’s been to every game this season, I’ve seen absolutely nothing change. Crap football, crap tactics, crap (and lack of) recruitment. No point waiting 4/5 more games.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

Biff and Dudding were absolutely not the answer, and the board were spot on to bring in a caretaker manager. We'll never know if we'd have made the play offs if Peaksy had stayed, but anyone who argues we would have done with no Collard, Deacon or Shamsi (not to mention Diamond and Hughes for a while as well) clearly has a very short memory.

Burge has brought in a much greater level of professionalism, and a playing style which is far better to watch than we've been used to. However, it's results that matter, and the squad we have at the moment just doesn't seem to be good enough to compete at our level. We've known this for a while now and it hasn't been addressed. I'm sure it's not due to a lack of effort, but either Burge is being too picky about the players he wants, or his contacts aren't as good as he claims.

I'm not going to be calling for his head yet, but something has to change and fast. I will agree that the board were hasty in giving Burge a contract, and that could prove to be a costly mistake if he can't turn things around soon.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm

I'm not going to be calling for his head yet, but something has to change and fast. I will agree that the board were hasty in giving Burge a contract, and that could prove to be a costly mistake if he can't turn things around soon.
This. I'm fuming at the result today, it was a perfect opportunity to get some much needed confidence and give everyone connected with the club a lift and not to mention a chance of a lucrative cup run, but it is still a little too early to call for his head, give it at least till October, with him on contract we can't afford to rush decisions.

But yes, I know most were so pleased at his appointment but I did feel it was a bit hasty giving him the contract when we did. So questions must be asked of why we did if we do end up having to sack him, because even if we were unlucky losing Deacon and Collard to injury when we did, he still failed to take us to the playoffs despite such a strong position when he came in.

Bromsgrove is huge next week, our following home games after that are Coalville and Tamworth so failure to win that and we could be in real trouble.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm I'm not going to be calling for his head yet, but something has to change and fast. I will agree that the board were hasty in giving Burge a contract, and that could prove to be a costly mistake if he can't turn things around soon.
It does appear that Burge and his assistant need some help with player recruitment in respect of Step 3 level in general and Southern League Premier Central division in particular. Perhaps the Board need to adopt a degree of pragmatism and consider getting someone in to assist Burge such as Mike Ford/Chris Nunn.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Olly wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:27 pm
davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm

This. I'm fuming at the result today, it was a perfect opportunity to get some much needed confidence and give everyone connected with the club a lift and not to mention a chance of a lucrative cup run, but it is still a little too early to call for his head, give it at least till October, with him on contract we can't afford to rush decisions.

But yes, I know most were so pleased at his appointment but I did feel it was a bit hasty giving him the contract when we did. So questions must be asked of why we did if we do end up having to sack him, because even if we were unlucky losing Deacon and Collard to injury when we did, he still failed to take us to the playoffs despite such a strong position when he came in.

Bromsgrove is huge next week, our following home games after that are Coalville and Tamworth so failure to win that and we could be in real trouble.
Er, we are already in REAL trouble. As you state after Bromsgrove it's Coalville and Tamworth at home . Do you see us taking points here?? Not a chance currently I'm afraid. I've said since last season that Burge does not have the experience. Apologies if this offends but this is just my opinion.(& has been since we blew play offs)
Last edited by Ricky330 on Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm Biff and Dudding were absolutely not the answer, and the board were spot on to bring in a caretaker manager. We'll never know if we'd have made the play offs if Peaksy had stayed, but anyone who argues we would have done with no Collard, Deacon or Shamsi (not to mention Diamond and Hughes for a while as well) clearly has a very short memory.

Burge has brought in a much greater level of professionalism, and a playing style which is far better to watch than we've been used to. However, it's results that matter, and the squad we have at the moment just doesn't seem to be good enough to compete at our level. We've known this for a while now and it hasn't been addressed. I'm sure it's not due to a lack of effort, but either Burge is being too picky about the players he wants, or his contacts aren't as good as he claims.

My thoughts almost exactly Dave.

I'm sure those that were at the game are furious and rightly so. But by losing Burge now, we're left with a squad entirely in his image, a squad which I don't think any incoming manager would be thrilled to inherit. That isn't necessarily justification to keep him but I don't think we'll have experienced managers banging our door down at the moment and if they did, they'd probably have to overhaul a squad that's only just been put together. I don't think that's the fix we need at the moment.

You could hardly have hand-picked a kinder start to the season both in terms of league fixtures and FA Cup draw, but the end result is brutal, that's a fact. We've wasted a month now with glaring deficiencies in the squad continuing to go unaddressed. Let another month drift by and the situation won't be recoverable. It's time to act on the playing front, now.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
GreekDiamond
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

rossco wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:30 pm Far too early to start that. In my opinion - unlucky with departures and injuries end of last season and now has basically a whole new squad to work with. 7 games is too early to start calling for his head. Remember 12 months ago? I was calling for Peaks to go and 2 players turned it round.. that’s all this will take

Why are people so happy to see how many points we’re adrift by waiting another month. Peaks turned it around by signing two players yes, but are there any signs we are signing anyone in the same style…..no. We knew we needed a striker and others for weeks but there’s been nothing. Peaksy also wasn’t dead bottom so still had some pull for players like deacon and Ravi.
Last edited by GreekDiamond on Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreekDiamond
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

davealbon wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:53 pm Biff and Dudding were absolutely not the answer, and the board were spot on to bring in a caretaker manager. We'll never know if we'd have made the play offs if Peaksy had stayed, but anyone who argues we would have done with no Collard, Deacon or Shamsi (not to mention Diamond and Hughes for a while as well) clearly has a very short memory.

This professionalism and new way of playing has left us dead last in the league, out of the fa cup and a half built team. And I’m not sure sitting on the touchline, head in hands looking glum all game is very ‘professional’, pretty uninspiring if you ask me.