Lost [ Sun 4th Sep ] v Enfield FC, KO 1pm FAC1RQ AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Sun 4th Sep ] v Enfield FC, KO 1pm FAC1RQ AWAY

Post by Trek »

No recruitments have been made by Burge amongst established Step 3 players except Hicks who I suspect contacted us as he was out of favour at St Ives. It has always concerned me that Burge is based in the Merseyside area and must be cutting a grove in the M6 all week and I wonder how practical this is to the Club, him and his family. I’m concerned that his body language in post match interview is showing he is feeling under pressure. That is why I suggested he may need some recruitment/managerial help from someone in our area.
Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

Confidence must be at rock bottom, it just felt that we were going to lose.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Like some have already pointed out, that performance was a total embarressment and should serve as a proper wake up call for the whole club. That was the teams biggest chance to kick start the season and they blew it in spectacular fashion. The first half was absolutely dreadful against a side who only looked like a step 5 side, scoring a goal gifted to them by Casey ( who actually put in the worst performance from him I've seen and I don't think wants to be here). We actually started to get forward a bit more in the second half, like you would expect against a team two leagues below, but we only scored from their keeper not being strong enough in a challenge with Connor. But credit to him getting that goal after only just coming on. But instead of seeing it out for a replay or winning the tie, we gifted them another goal, this time from not clearing our lines and looking too scared to give away a throw in and end up conceding. There's real pressure on burger now after that, who basically just sat there in the dugout in the second half. Should be at the touchline firing orders and getting them over the line. But I don't think he had the minerals or the knowhow on how to do it. Recruitment has been pretty poor, only a few of the "kids" are good enough. I didn't hear one fan clap the team off at the end, only shout abuse but it was probably justified after that. Any bromsgrove fan who would have witnessed today, would have been rubbing their hands with glee ahead of next week!
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Abysmal. Enfield were not a good side, just a solid standard step 5 team, which is worrying. A lot of hit and hope today that eventually just continued to come back as Jenson was isolated again. I would like to know the thought process behind playing Conor Tee on the left wing where he hardly gets the ball and also the idea behind taking our striker off for a winger and proceeding to play the winger down the middle up against big centre backs. Can’t even remember the last game we won in 90 minutes. First time in a while I’ve seen our fans collectively react like that…
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by fentiger79 »

It’s the reaction from the fans that is the most concerning.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

YoungDiamond wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:31 pm Abysmal. Enfield were not a good side, just a solid standard step 5 team, which is worrying. A lot of hit and hope today that eventually just continued to come back as Jenson was isolated again. I would like to know the thought process behind playing Conor Tee on the left wing where he hardly gets the ball and also the idea behind taking our striker off for a winger and proceeding to play the winger down the middle up against big centre backs. Can’t even remember the last game we won in 90 minutes. First time in a while I’ve seen our fans collectively react like that…
I wasn't at the game today so can't comment on Tee's effectiveness, but our best performance of the season (Ilkeston) came with Tee playing on the left wing, and he scored our only goal. I suspect that might have been part of the thought process. Not saying it was the right decision today, but it's easy to criticise with hindsight.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I think it’s too early to sack Burge, but things have to change over the next few games. I think the question that needs asking is,when the time comes will the club have the “balls” to make the best decision for the club?

There have been some concerns aired on here by some, and I tried to remain positive, even getting a immature response because I dared to have a difference of opinion!! But even my patience is starting to wear thin. It’s clear we should have appointed someone with experience of the league, rather than, oh he used to play for us let’s give him a shot.

To be fair to the board they are volunteers, and it’s the first time they were put in the situation of appointing a new manager, but maybe they should have gone with their heads rather than their hearts, or got some kind of outsider who had experience of recruiting football managers sit in on the interviews, maybe a chairman of another local club?

If it does happen, then the club really need to make the right decision this time.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

diamondsteve wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:50 pm No Burg interview??
Just listen to the previous ones from this season/pre season I imagine it'll be similar
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

It’s just awful that our team is in this situation, none of us want to see it, when in this situation you want to see different things, not just the same players and expect a different result.
We talked about getting men in and getting a striker in yet for own reasons or another neither has happened and that’s not good enough.
Maybe we do need someone new on the coaching staff who knows the level, but we certainly need these additions to the playing team.
It is still early league wise but the warning signs have still not been addressed and they need to be.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

It’s the inexperience of the squad that is the worrying factor and mirrors the Darby managed Redditch outfit in 2020 that escaped certain relegation due to a ‘null and void’ decision.