Announcing players

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Announcing players

Post by bozzer »

Moving the discussion from former players to a new thread.

In the past we have announced players before we were able to get them to sign and lodge forms with the league on the back of conversations with the manager, when they have committed to playing for the club for the forthcoming season, on two occasions someone offered them some more money and they changed their mind. We looked a bit daft to be honest, so we said we wouldn’t ever do that again.

I get the call for announcements now I’m not involved, I’m dying to find out who has signed and what new players we will be having, however it’s probably not going to influence me buying a season ticket.

The one thing I know from past experience is that conversations will have been going on since the end of last season, some players will have been hedging their bets with other clubs, some will have agreed to stay, some might be waiting to see what players we sign before committing. we are likely to have a bigger churn of players than previously as we have an ex management team at Tamworth, and ex assistant at K*ttering, along with our first new manager for a close season in 10 years. One thing for sure is that if players don’t want to play for us or the new manager then they will go and will need to be replaced.

You have to also remember we have always honoured for the whole season what we agree with players, that cannot be said for other clubs in the division.

So it may be frustrating (I’m the same) but I love that our club do things in the right way, and I don’t think I’d like to change that.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: Announcing players

Post by rdusher »

Don't disagree with the above, and understand why the club do it, but I think it's the complete silence from the club that has people frustrated. I definitely think it's strange that we haven't signed a single player on a contract, in which case we'd have something to announce, but I do trust the process and the management team that things are happening and we'll put together a competitive squad for the season.

As for the silence though, there's plenty the club good have done on social media to build engagement and keep people interested. I even sent forward a suggestion to a board member who deals with the social media of some ideas we could maybe put out, and wasn't even gifted any form of reply. If there was a dialogue opened I would have even happily done a lot of the legwork myself, but once again, suggestions from outside the chosen few of the board are completely ignored.

We have to be the only "fan owned club" who don't listen to the voice of the fans
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

rdusher wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:31 pm Don't disagree with the above, and understand why the club do it, but I think it's the complete silence from the club that has people frustrated. I definitely think it's strange that we haven't signed a single player on a contract, in which case we'd have something to announce, but I do trust the process and the management team that things are happening and we'll put together a competitive squad for the season.

As for the silence though, there's plenty the club good have done on social media to build engagement and keep people interested. I even sent forward a suggestion to a board member who deals with the social media of some ideas we could maybe put out, and wasn't even gifted any form of reply. If there was a dialogue opened I would have even happily done a lot of the legwork myself, but once again, suggestions from outside the chosen few of the board are completely ignored.

We have to be the only "fan owned club" who don't listen to the voice of the fans
I'm afraid I have to agree. I have also suggested ideas that have been met with little( or more normally) no response. The Board can't keep saying they want new blood , new ideas, etc & then ignore it when we do try🤔🤔🤨🤨
bozzer

Post by bozzer »

rdusher wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:31 pm Don't disagree with the above, and understand why the club do it, but I think it's the complete silence from the club that has people frustrated. I definitely think it's strange that we haven't signed a single player on a contract, in which case we'd have something to announce, but I do trust the process and the management team that things are happening and we'll put together a competitive squad for the season.

All very valid points mate, it’s a shame that you weren’t replied to, the club needs every help it can get, especially on the media side so that’s disappointing and hopefully the person you contacted will reach out as I’m sure you could really help.

At least some football starts at the weekend!!
AFC R&D Member No. 67
bozzer

Post by bozzer »

Ricky330 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:51 pm

I'm afraid I have to agree. I have also suggested ideas that have been met with little( or more normally) no response. The Board can't keep saying they want new blood , new ideas, etc & then ignore it when we do try🤔🤔🤨🤨
Same again then mate that’s disappointing, as it really does need the help on offer, as everyone has seen.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

I’ll copy and paste this from the original topic that got derailed. Originally posted by Biggles.

Contracts- players sign a contract with the club for a set period being paid a set wage, you can announce these as signings as players have put pen to paper as they have committed themselves in writing to the team.

Non Contract- League forms are signed 1st July for players who agree to play for you but can leave any time and the club can offload anytime, other teams after the 1st July have to put in 7 days notice to talk to said player about moving to them.

No team has announced non contract players, the only players being banded about are those on Contracts.

Does that help people understand why we have not announced anything as we have a limited budget and cannot just go out there and compete
with the teams with better budgets we cannot compete with the likes of Tamworth we have to wait and see how players perform in matches and the Manager may then offer a contract so that we don't loose a good player.

- - -

I’m as frustrated as much as anyone that nothing regarding signings or retained players have been announced, but I’m remaining calm, knowing that we’ll hear something soon.

A Shame a few others haven’t got the same mindset, and had to resort to playground stuff on the former players topic! Because I was telling some to be patient, apparently I’m a friend of the board! :cheesy:
Last edited by AFCRD_Dan on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

rdusher wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:31 pm

I’m aware an email address was passed onto you but I’ve not seen an email with ideas for social media.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I feel like this has all been done to death a little bit now but hopefully we can move on from it at the weekend when we should all have something else to talk about.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with remaining silent. I thought it might have been a Peaks decision but this summer has suggested it's a club decision with the justification presumably spelled out above. For me personally I don't think the fact we once announced we'd signed someone who then went elsewhere is a good enough reason to just be totally silent every summer in the face of immense criticism on here and on social media. To the point where the club can hardly make a post on Twitter without someone questioning the lack of communication on the playing squad. We see top players leaving, fans getting openly demoralised and disinterested and stick steadfastly to this notion that we mustn't say anything until July 1st.

As we saw last year, it's easy for people to disengage and lose interest and it's incredibly hard to turn that around once the damage is done. Silence surely can't be doing anything for season ticket sales, shirt sales, membership sales.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
mattparker
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

I would expect most clubs ask the player who has agreed to re-sign “are you happy for us to announce on social media” would remove this egg on face scenario.
Plus you can always qualify any announcements with the line ‘subject to forms being signed’?
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

I’m glad we can talk about this on it’s own thread, and apologies for derailing the former players section.

As from my post on there we can see that other clubs have announced players not on contracts. I’m glad to see the post on the clubs Twitter with images of players training which shows Hughes, Furlong and Akubuine. But then raises the question of why we couldn’t send something out about these 3 as retained. Us annoyed at the silence I’m sure would of appreciated at least some news to do with the playing squad.

I hope what has been discussed here gets back to the club and maybe next year we re-work on how things are done in the off season playing squad wise as i believe it really would make a difference in hyping up the feeling of the upcoming season and make people excited to come and watch rather than like has been said, questioning the club on every social post.