[ NEWS ] Pre-Season Fixtures released

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

[ NEWS ] Pre-Season Fixtures released

Post by Dazzler »

Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Re: [ NEWS ] Pre-Season Fixtures released

Post by Dazzler »

Full Schedule:

Saturday 2nd July – Kempston Rovers FC (A) 3:00 pm

Tuesday 5th July – MK Dons XI (H) 7:30 pm

Saturday 9th July – Stamford AFC (A) 3:00 pm

Tuesday 12th July – Loughborough @ Moulton College – Behind closed doors *

Saturday 16th July – Cogenhoe United (A) Hillier Senior Cup – 1st Round 3:00 pm

Tuesday 19th July – Northampton Town FC XI (H) 7:30 pm

Saturday 23rd July – Daventry Town FC (A) 3:00 pm

Tuesday 26th July – Brackley Town FC (H) 7:45 pm

Friday 29th July – Luton Town FC XI (H) 7:45 pm

* This will be played behind closed doors as it is not possible to accommodate supporters at Moulton College.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 301 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Buzzing 👏👏💎⚽️
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Credit where it's due. I've been critical of pre-season fixtures in recent years - particularly last year's which left us totally unprepared and gave us an inflated impression of what the squad was capable of (including thinking Will Jones was a world beater). This is a much better set of fixtures.

None of them look easy, the home ties are likely to garner interest and excitement, and hopefully the 3 games against football league clubs will have additional benefits, giving those clubs a chance to look at us and the way we play, with a view to potentially getting some younger players in on loan throughout the course of the season. MK Dons haven't announced this as an XI fixture and given it's their first friendly, hopefully they'll bring a first team.

Only minor criticism really is I think the Daventry fixture has had its day now and I have to say I'm surprised we're going back to Kempston again after playing on knee-high grass there last year. Thank God we've done away with the utterly pointless R&H friendly though!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

BartonRaz wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:39 pm Credit where it's due. I've been critical of pre-season fixtures in recent years - particularly last year's which left us totally unprepared and gave us an inflated impression of what the squad was capable of (including thinking Will Jones was a world beater). This is a much better set of fixtures.

None of them look easy, the home ties are likely to garner interest and excitement, and hopefully the 3 games against football league clubs will have additional benefits, giving those clubs a chance to look at us and the way we play, with a view to potentially getting some younger players in on loan throughout the course of the season. MK Dons haven't announced this as an XI fixture and given it's their first friendly, hopefully they'll bring a first team.

Only minor criticism really is I think the Daventry fixture has had its day now and I have to say I'm surprised we're going back to Kempston again after playing on knee-high grass there last year. Thank God we've done away with the utterly pointless R&H friendly though!
We could still play R&H as they hold the annual Chris Ruff memorial game, unless they invite someone else this year, but it’s always been between landlords and tenants.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:39 pm Credit where it's due. I've been critical of pre-season fixtures in recent years - particularly last year's which left us totally unprepared and gave us an inflated impression of what the squad was capable of (including thinking Will Jones was a world beater). This is a much better set of fixtures.

We could still play R&H as they hold the annual Chris Ruff memorial game, unless they invite someone else this year, but it’s always been between landlords and tenants.
Yes I should point out before someone jumps down my throat on that one - I meant pointless in the sense that the fixture is never remotely competitive. Nothing to do with Chris Ruff!

AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

BartonRaz wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:54 pm

Yes I should point out before someone jumps down my throat on that one - I meant pointless in the sense that the fixture is never remotely competitive. Nothing to do with Chris Ruff!
I wasn’t jumping down your throat, apologies if it seemed that way. But yes, I agree the games against R&H are pointless.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Ricky330
Has Liked: 301 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

I'm guessing the Dale Roberts Memorial Trophy will be against Brackley??
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:05 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:54 pm

I wasn’t jumping down your throat, apologies if it seemed that way. But yes, I agree the games against R&H are pointless.
No worries I didn't take it that way - just thought somebody might get upset about it!

oliv272
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by oliv272 »

best set of preseason fixtures I think I've seen since we reformed, always used to enjoy preseason a bit more when we faced some bigger teams
FuriousHoon / Ollie