Who may go and Who may stay

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Re: Who may go and Who may stay

Post by Biggles »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:33 am There was one season where the club announced the retained list before July 1st, but then a few days later one of those retained players ended up signing for someone else, which caused the club embarrassment, and criticism for announcing it early. I think the club learnt from their mistake and didn’t announce any retained list until absolutely sure players had committed.
That is a blast from the past, i believe the year was 2005 and the player was Stuart Gray who agreed to sign a new contract then in July he signed for Oxford. The grief the Club got was massive, people slagging the club off for announcing he was signing for us when he hadn't actually put pen to paper.

Since then its been no news of signing until a pen has indeed been put to paper.

Of course a lot of time has passed and at the level we are nowadays we all know that players can be poached at any time so naming players in advance of them giving a verbal agreement is not such a bad thing and may generate some interest during the long summer days.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Biggles wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:27 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:33 am There was one season where the club announced the retained list before July 1st, but then a few days later one of those retained players ended up signing for someone else, which caused the club embarrassment, and criticism for announcing it early. I think the club learnt from their mistake and didn’t announce any retained list until absolutely sure players had committed.
That is a blast from the past, i believe the year was 2005 and the player was Stuart Gray who agreed to sign a new contract then in July he signed for Oxford. The grief the Club got was massive, people slagging the club off for announcing he was signing for us when he hadn't actually put pen to paper.

Since then its been no news of signing until a pen has indeed been put to paper.

Of course a lot of time has passed and at the level we are nowadays we all know that players can be poached at any time so naming players in advance of them giving a verbal agreement is not such a bad thing and may generate some interest during the long summer days.
I completely forgot that, but I was actually referring to AFC R&D who announced the retained list, I forget who the player was though.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:34 pm
Biggles wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:27 pm

I completely forgot that, but I was actually referring to AFC R&D who announced the retained list, I forget who the player was though.
If I remember correctly I think it was Matt Gearing and Declan Rogers, both who genuinely had said they were staying and then changed their minds, since then,it was only when they had signed and therefore could only move with a 7 day that it was announced.
Yes it’s really annoying we always wanted to put out who had committed but it just wasn’t practical and actually probably a little unfair on the players and the club as if you were weighing up your options as a player you may feel pressured to go on it and commit even though you were looking around and then it makes the list irrelevant. In addition if you aren’t on the list because you haven’t come to an agreement with the club then it announces to the world that a certain player maybe available.

One of the foibles of being at this level I suppose
AFC R&D Member No. 67
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Coalville have provided a retained list (of sorts) relating to contracted players.

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/coalvill ... 03058.html
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

Well our coaching team is disappearing…. Biffa and Lee Glover gone
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Glover said from the start he was only here til end of season. Still waiting for announcement of Biffs new job.
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

I'm shocked that Glover has got himself a National League North job, he's done nothing more in football than Andy Peaks.

I don't know what's happening with K*ttering's new ground - last I heard the council got them something on the Weekly Glebe side of the town, but if they have let 'Cully' (cringe nickname) Culverhouse go and replaced him with Lee Glover then I would say they have realised that Latimer Park is never going to be viable for Conference Premier football and have accepted that just surviving in the National League North is what they will have to settle for until the new ground is ready.

Their fans won't like the 2 year contract as they are reluctant to give their best players a contract normally, the ET says he turned down a full time job so he probably isn't exactly cheap.

Right now I feel we have a chance of competing in the same league as them quicker than if they had ended going up this season.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

sussexdiamond wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:50 pm Glover said from the start he was only here til end of season. Still waiting for announcement of Biffs new job.
Fair enough, didn’t realise this. Look forward to seeing who Burg gets in
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Only worry now is that Glover AND Peaks will be pursuing our players.
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Biff Carlin announced as manager of Cogenhoe. Re Union due very soon in Hillier Cup. I guess we will know more of Cooks team than our own when they meet pre season.