[ Sat 23rd Apr ] v Nuneaton Borough, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Jazzy_10
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Apr ] v Nuneaton Borough, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by Jazzy_10 »

bozzer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:45 pm
Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:34 am Didn’t want to make my first post a negative one, but feel a lot of questions need to be asked after yesterday.

We’ve played like a bottom half team since Burgess took over (the form table shows that too) and the last two games just showed a real lack of experience in setting up a team to win Vs some really poor opposition.

A few key players were missing but that’s no excuse to be having from what I counted were about 3 shots on target against 2 bottom half table teams with terrible defensive records. They’ve both conceded 152 goals this season, and we couldn’t score playing with 2 strikers… and it’s not just the service that was poor. The set up was wrong and the decision to play/sign the forwards we have were wrong as well. Why were we resorting to long balls continuously when it clearly offered no return Vs St Ives, and then to do the same again Vs Nuneaton yesterday?

And can I just say what are we doing clapping the team off after performing like that? No, we shouldn’t be celebrating how far they’ve come this season, to choke a play off space in the manner we’ve done is inexcusable. Are we happy to stay as we are for the next 5 years with no real push in the right direction? A manager with no experience and a board seemingly happy to stay in step 3 football is the perfect recipe for that.

Bad decisions from all areas of the club lately, including the clubs timing of announcing the manager as permanent. Would it be the right call to make him permanent from today knowing he was only a temp for the rest of the season? I’m sure a few would be doubting the decision if we made that announcement today.

Would we have the won the playoffs? Unlikely. But just making the playoffs would’ve been a great springboard for the next season. Very disappointed, and the inevitable ‘limited resources’ we’ll have next season probably means we should expect this to continue.
I’ll have a go at answering your questions

I don’t feel we’ve played like a bottom half team since Burge arrived e.g I thought away at Redditch we were excellent as we were at Coalville, the more injuries we got the worse it became.

Should we not be clapping the team off, yes we should, they felt like we all felt yesterday but it’s for the whole season and as gutted as I was I wanted to thank them as much for the games at Needham, and Hednesford as I did for yesterday.

If we are at this level for 5 years then so be it, as someone else has mentioned without a huge increase in sponsorship or selling our soul (been there done that) then absolutely I’ll take step 3 football for the next 5 years, if we get in the playoffs and have a cup run that would be good too.

For some perspective, You have to compare it to some other clubs who reformed look at 1874 Northwick or Scarborough, Scarborough reformed before us and are for the first time flirting with the playoffs, and they have their own ground and they have bigger crowds.

I think announcing the manager as permanent was great timing, if we hadn’t then there would have been discussions today whether we should be, meanwhile other managers will be tapping up our players, now Andy can get on with planning for next season, he’s brought an air of professionalism which has been great and let’s see what he can do next season.

I’m gutted still about yesterday but he’s got my full support and I can’t wait to see what he can do next season

We have I’m afraid. The last 5 game and last 10 game form table put us both in the bottom half. Granted we had a few decent performances, but we’ve notably thrown leads in a lot of games since Burgess arrived: Tamworth, Leiston and Coalville draws.

Yep I agree there’s some problems commercially at the moment, but to be happy staying in step 3 for 5 years is really short sighted ironically. There needs to be a drive from all areas of the club, not just to stay happy and cosy where we are now. Question is are we seeing the drive from all areas of the club? Don’t think so. (Although it was nice to see a drive on social side of things recently, which I’d like to see more often next season).

I really can’t see how it was great timing. The timing for the announcement was awful. You don’t give someone the permanent job before finishing the task at hand (which I would expect was to get the play off spot). And if it wasn’t announced then I’d fully expect the discussions about if we should’ve hired him permanently or not to have taken place. Imagine this was Dudding in charge right now - would he still be getting the same backing after what’s happened?

Other managers will be tapping up our players regardless, as we would to other teams as well. But yes, at least he’s got time on his hands to sort things out for next season now.
Jazzy_10

Post by Jazzy_10 »

mattparker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:59 pm
I think announcing the manager as permanent was great timing, if we hadn’t then there would have been discussions today whether we should be, meanwhile other managers will be tapping up our players, now Andy can get on with planning for next season, he’s brought an air of professionalism which has been great and let’s see what he can do next season.
Completely agree, making the role permanent could/should have made a positive impact at an important time. For me the club is very fortunate to have Andy Burgess want to take on the role.
It didn’t though, did it? I’d like to know how you think we’re fortunate - what’s his previous record/experience of managing mens football are you basing this off? There’s no record is there, so to say this could/should have made a positive impact is pretty redundant because there’s no data to back up that comment. I feel you and others share this mindset (which is fair enough we’re all entitled to have opinions) but it’s a mindset living off nostalgia, and nostalgia doesn’t get results.
mattparker
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

You’re right of course, it didn’t work, but the board made a positive move to back the Manager at an crucial time and credit to them for that.
Actually Andy does have a decent CV. He’s also clearly got a passion for the club, you might call that nostalgia, I don’t
Last edited by mattparker on Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Jazzy if you think it is cosy and happy staying at step 3 then I don’t know where you have been since we reformed, it takes an immense amount of hard work in volunteer free time from all areas of the club. finishing where we have is over performing, and that’s down to the hard work of everyone.

I don’t think you could be more wrong about Matt and others living off a mindset of nostalgia.

I think maybe you are here on a wind up.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
SouthRushdenJFC
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:51 pm
mattparker wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:59 pm
Completely agree, making the role permanent could/should have made a positive impact at an important time. For me the club is very fortunate to have Andy Burgess want to take on the role.
It didn’t though, did it? I’d like to know how you think we’re fortunate - what’s his previous record/experience of managing mens football are you basing this off? There’s no record is there, so to say this could/should have made a positive impact is pretty redundant because there’s no data to back up that comment. I feel you and others share this mindset (which is fair enough we’re all entitled to have opinions) but it’s a mindset living off nostalgia, and nostalgia doesn’t get results.
Are you not doing the same though, living off nostalgia?

You talk about Burgess not having a track record, which is valid, but at the same time the club doesn't have a track record of playing at Step 3, let alone Step 2. Having Rushden & Diamonds in the name means nothing.

The problems are obvious but seem to be ignored by those expecting to win every game. The ground is owned by a third party, it is in a residential area. It is an old ground, the situation with the old stand puts ground grading at risk. The changing rooms won't be large enough, where do you purchase and site additional space?

The bar and food takings leave the club straight away, this is a massive revenue stream.

The number of volunteers is, at best, stagnant with the expectations from the fans higher.

It would be easy to chuck all the money at the playing squad and then not being able to take promotion, that is nothing more than pot hunting.

The club is still very young, it has enjoyed a upward so far. There will come a time where treading water or building for the future becomes the driving factor.
Jazzy_10

Post by Jazzy_10 »

bozzer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:17 pm Jazzy if you think it is cosy and happy staying at step 3 then I don’t know where you have been since we reformed, it takes an immense amount of hard work in volunteer free time from all areas of the club. finishing where we have is over performing, and that’s down to the hard work of everyone.

I don’t think you could be more wrong about Matt and others living off a mindset of nostalgia.

Not on a wind up, just voicing my opinion. Obviously some home truths (be it of opinion) haven’t been received well… which is fine, this is a forum after all.
SouthRushdenJFC
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Home truths = what I say is right regarding how far from reality it is?
Jazzy_10

Post by Jazzy_10 »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:47 pm Home truths = what I say is right regarding how far from reality it is?
As I said (and please scroll up so you can see it again), just my opinion. Just like your opinion of how far from reality my opinion is…
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:35 pm
bozzer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:17 pm Jazzy if you think it is cosy and happy staying at step 3 then I don’t know where you have been since we reformed, it takes an immense amount of hard work in volunteer free time from all areas of the club. finishing where we have is over performing, and that’s down to the hard work of everyone.

Not on a wind up, just voicing my opinion. Obviously some home truths (be it of opinion) haven’t been received well… which is fine, this is a forum after all.
Hmmmm

You do realise that the last two teams we played had 2 to 3 times the budget we had?

Anyway i stand by there fact we have done ok since reforming, compare us to other fan owned clubs without their ground and some that have, would I like us back in the league of course I would. In my opinion we need to be realistic and as has been said elsewhere other areas of the club need to catch up, the biggest priority being the ground.
Whilst that happens if we have 5 more seasons like this then that will do me and then we can kick on after that.

Our club needs to be built on firm foundations.

Burgess is a manager who has aspirations to have a career in football management, we will see next season how he does and I’ll support him in that
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

Jazzy_10 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:34 am

Yep I agree there’s some problems commercially at the moment, but to be happy staying in step 3 for 5 years is really short sighted ironically. There needs to be a drive from all areas of the club, not just to stay happy and cosy where we are now. Question is are we seeing the drive from all areas of the club? Don’t think so.
What planet are you currently living on? You do realise the level that Rushden Town and Irthlingboro Diamonds used to play at before Max came along merged the 2 and pumped a sh*t ton of money in and took us fans on the journey of life time don't you? Thats right this level!

Honestly mate, no idea who you are if you're new to the club or followed the old one but I supported the old club for 10 years in that time we went from 5000+ crowds beating Hull City and Swansea to sub 1000 crowds losing at home to Gateshead and Histon! To the book being nicely closed with a 2-0 defeat against Darlington infront of about 80 hardcore faithful. 80/90 fans from 5000 in 10 years! (Would have been 400 away following back in the glory years)

I want AFC Rushden to be around well after I'm dead and gone, some football clubs exsist without getting promoted for 30+ years. Look at Rochdale back in 2002 they'd been a bottom league side forever and a day! We came along and got promoted before they did. We had money, thats how it works. Just look at Peterborough Sports for an example where that could happen to us.

We have to be realistic. The club has no permentent home, its run by volunteers. Some who have been slugging away for 10 years. Perhaps they could be forgiven for lacking "drive", although personally I don't think that's the case. All the money we get comes 99% from us....the fans, through match day gates, the lottery, membership and the club merchandise (which lets be fair is one of the best range of kit/ clothing etc at this level).

As far as the comercial side, what companies do you know that have spare cash to sponsor a lower league football side during this time? Perhaps you know one? I certainly don't. We lost a national company as our shirt sponsor as they said they were having to cut their cloth after the pandemic. The fans rallied round and the names on the shirt idea (from Kev Richards) came to our rescue! I assume yours is on there?

Let see what squad Andy Burgess assembles in the summer. I'm sure it'll be made up of hungry youngsters out to prove themselves and push the club to as high a finish as possible along with a few familiar faces.

I just simply don't buy this we should be promoted within 5 years rubbish though. If we do go up fantastic, if we don't so be it. It shouldnt be seen as a failure. I'd love away daya at York, Boston United and Gateshead as much as the next man, but not at the expense of pushing the club beyond its means to achieve it.

We HAVE to make finding a new permentent home of our own the main priority in the mid to short term, before we can even think of establishing the club at the next level up. It's sad but it's true.