Lost [ Mon 18th Apr ] v St Ives Town, KO 3pm SLPDC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: [ Mon 18th Apr ] v St Ives Town, KO 3pm SLPDC AWAY

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I'm sorry to report that we played like a bunch of rabbits caught in headlights. Fear usually finds a way to lose and we got it big time today as many players went into hiding and I heard Bully shouting similar from the other end of the pitch. I saw nothing positive to take from that performance, it's a 1 game shoot out so I hope our players find their courage again.
AFC R & D member number 34
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

I think nerves were definitely a factor for the players and the fans, However st Ives were up for their cup final, it’s a horrible place to go, I seem to recall we had to purchase extra toilet blocks as you couldn’t just have the toilets in your bar as the only facilities available, unless you are at ives.

I can see why Burge changed formation after 20 minutes or so and it worked a bit better apart from putting Jones up against Fairlamb.
The goal ruled offside, having seen it live I can’t see how it was given but maybe the highlights will show something I missed in real time.
As much as I wanted it sorted today we would have taken this in October, we’ve got to get everyone we can there next Saturday
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

Just seen their goal on twitter. We let the bloke run through completely unmarked and challenged. Burgess has mentioned our weakness of defending set pieces. I reckon most Sunday sides would be fuming seeing that one back.

The nerves appear to have got the better of the players and supporters today. I certainly didn't feel overly confisdent going into the game given it isn't usually a happy hunting "ground" for us. Flat performance, flat atmosphere and flat crappy lager on tap. To be honest we were lucky not to lose by 3 or 4, they missed a hatful of good chances. Having said that if our early goal isn't wrongly dissallowed it may have been a completely different game. We'll never know. Few people moaning about Graham's performance today, but to be fair the "service" he was given today was hardly brilliant. He called for the ball into feet early numerous time without being given it.

Few points about St Ives. The pitch is better now it's plastic, but the ground itself is still a total dump. They happily chanted about owning their own ground, perhaps they'd like to try and improve it some time soon. The group of "mockney" fans always seem intent on winding innocent fans leaving the ground up, looking for a fight. The fan who proudly claimed to be a "Luton boy" perhaps could have done us all a favour and pissed off down to Cardiff today.

So it comes down to the final game. We just have to avoid defeat, here's hoping Burgess gets the lads in during the week, works on defending set pieces and passing the ball early into the forwards and I'm sure if he does we'll scrape over the line and can look forward to an extended season.

Lets be honest none of us predicted back at the start of this season!
Ricky330
Has Liked: 302 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

Very frustrated today. Gonna put this 1 out there. Jordan Graham? Why didn't Burge take him off & move Jones up front with Nath & Connor/AJ on wings? He is still clearly very un fit. Time & again Sneds puntted long to him & he won very little. Offered nothing today IMO. Can't play him for 90 mins because he "might" do something. Jones would have preferred to be in middle & would have stopped Ives playing out from back by chasing down🤔🤔 this is just my opinion from observations not a general slagging off. I still believe we will do it💎⚽️👍
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Clearly our worst performance under Burge so far and probably our worst performance generally since the Stratford home defeat in December. I don't know if was nerves, but we were passed off the park by a lower mid-table team who have conceded 89 goals. Whatever the reason it's obviously not ideal at this stage of the season.

Having said that, if you'd have offered me 'as you were' before kick-off, needing to avoid defeat at home to Nuneaton on the final day, I think I'd have taken that. Banbury have done us a massive favour today that's for sure.

Got to agree with some comments on other posts. Credit to Burge for being brave enough to change the formation mid way through the first half but putting Will Jones out wide up against Fairlamb was a match made in hell. We then proceeded to keep putting the ball down that channel which was baffling. Likewise, and I don't want to get too downbeat and negative, but as good as Graham has been in the past few weeks, you really had to realise that he was running in treacle from 60 minutes and winning nothing in the air or on the floor. He might nick one out of nowhere which is why I assume he was kept on but Diakiesse was full of running and that change should have been made earlier IMO.

It's gone now but would love to know the explanation as to why the goal was disallowed in the first half. Clearly an own goal from Shariff under no pressure. I'm still scratching my head now about that one.

Our biggest game in years next weekend deserves our biggest gate in years. I really hope the local community do something they haven't done all season and get down to Hayden Road.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Interviews with AFCRDTV

Phil-the-Diamond
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Phil-the-Diamond »

Hard watch today. We really didn't look like a team with a hope of winning the play-offs. Just didn't seem to click. Would like to see why the 'goal' was ruled out. Lino gave offside.

Too many balls just pumped upfield for them to just come straight back.

Will be tense now on Saturday and we will need to be more incisive.
Dazzler
The Staff
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Jon Dunham’s report

sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Brownie was certainly right when he said Banbury would not ease up. Just as well they didn't. Will we see you at Hayden Road on Saturday Brownie😀?
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:11 am Brownie was certainly right when he said Banbury would not ease up. Just as well they didn't. Will we see you at Hayden Road on Saturday Brownie😀?
No I’ll be at Needham Market and having a Brownie traditional bread, cheese and red wine journey home, but I will be at the Brussel farm on the following Tuesday/Wednesday probably with another Brownie hopefully watching Diamonds finally beat the team that matters to nobody and watched by less. Least I can do as a “turncoat”