Club statement re. banned 'supporters'

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Club statement re. banned 'supporters'

Post by ParcelFace »

In light of the whole barrier situation at St Ives Town and the people surrounding it, some 'supporters' have been banned from attending games. Well done to the club and all involved in this, never nice to see people giving the club a bad name.

http://www.afcdiamonds.com/club-statement-8
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Re: Club statement re. banned 'supporters'

Post by Dowlo »

Just a quick note in the barrier. It was fooked when we got there, due to the amount if people leaning on it and the fact they had cemented it directly in to the grass!

Other than that the people involved have been dealt with, so the club and fans can move on.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

Not that I know who they were or what they'd done, I'm sure the beer was to blame.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
corby diamond
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by corby diamond »

It don't read as if the barrier situation was the main point, wasn't there a situation on the pitch after the game?.. Well done to the club on swift action but as this has been mentioned before how can the club steward away matches? It's ok saying all matches but you don't often see their faces on a home matchday
AFC Rushden and Diamonds Membership Number - 60
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times

Post by ParcelFace »

corby diamond wrote:It don't read as if the barrier situation was the main point, wasn't there a situation on the pitch after the game?.. Well done to the club on swift action but as this has been mentioned before how can the club steward away matches? It's ok saying all matches but you don't often see their faces on a home matchday
Didn't notice anything after the game, was just looking to get out of the stadium and into a pub.
Everyweeker
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Everyweeker »

Won't have anything to do with barrier itself falling down. Collapsed just by leaning on it.
Member Number: 21
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

Everyweeker wrote:Won't have anything to do with barrier itself falling down. Collapsed just by leaning on it.
Whilst I too doubt it's anything to do with the barrier, your statement simply is not true, I watched from behind the goal that end as it was repeatedly pushed and pulled until it eventually gave way - it wasn't it great shape sure, but it probably would have been okay without the attention it received - one individual was hell bent on breaking it and worked at it repeatedly until he got success! It took a lot of hard work to break it!

The Mexican standoff on the pitch by the dugouts after the game is probably what this is all about - all a bit sad and embarrassing really with lots of posturing going on !

Glad the board have dealt with it anyway, well done to them, but as volunteers they shouldn't have to should they?
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Everyweeker
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Everyweeker »

Pigman wrote:
Everyweeker wrote:Won't have anything to do with barrier itself falling down. Collapsed just by leaning on it.
Whilst I too doubt it's anything to do with the barrier, your statement simply is not true
Hate to get into semantics Pigman, but that doesn'the really capture the facts.

The barrier collapsed before kick off (or just after, I forget) through normal leaning on it - nothing at all untoward. It was essentially loosely supported by fans thereafter rather than the other way around. When it did collapse was when fans quite reasonably lent forward during a moment of excitement.

Thereafter your description is right, but the barrier was already shot to pieces. In fact, it probably wasn't the worst idea in the world to knock it down then as half a pole in mid air and a big crowd jumping around is a huge potential risk. Not saying it was a good idea, but not necessarily a bad one.
Member Number: 21
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

I'll try and keep this brief and to the point- Anyone that knows me will appreciate that my behaviour at the play off final was completely out of character and was fuelled by frustration and excessive alcohol (although that's no excuse) I was mortified once I sobered up and my memory is patchy to say the least. I immediately emailed a board member and met up with him to apologise in person, as a result the one year suspended ban on the condition of 30 hours volunteering came about. I have already started some the work at the club and I would like to carry on long term.

I would like to also apologise to regular fans as well as the board as behaviour like that paints the whole club in a bad light. I can assure if I was to ever behave like that again (which it won't) then I would ban myself for life. I club wouldn't need to do that! I hope we can move on and build for the new season.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Whilst I think the dealings with DW were extremely fair, I just hope the other supporters with bans got a fair hearing and not just a letter through the post.

I also hope that St. Ives have carried out and equally "thorough" investigation, and have issued a ban to their supporter who assaulted a diamonds fan in the first half, leaving him with a split lip and a 3 figure dentist bill, which was arguably the catalyst for any post match scuffles. These lads were also spat at (one of their stewards will verify this) What would YOU do if you were spat at? I know I'd rather be punched than spat at. Would that be caught on a video?? Whilst I don't condone the actions of 2/3 individuals, I think many people need to consider both sides of the story before starting a witch hunt.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.