[ Tue 26rh Apr ] v Royston Town, KO 7:45pm SL1DC Playoff SF AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Re: [ Tue 26rh Apr ] v Royston Town, KO 7:45pm SL1DC Playoff SF AWAY

Post by Olly »

Absolutely superb tonight, got to be one of the best performances of our short history, never did I think we would control a playoff semi final against a team who beat us twice and finished 3 places above us like that, but we did, I still can't believe how little Royston created over the 90 minutes, I was actually more nervous in the first half than the second half (with the exception of the last few minutes of course) cause we looked that comfortable and weren't letting them have a sniff. Perhaps they were tired after their busy end of season schedule, but make no mistake, we thoroughly deserved the win tonight, every player put in a top shift and can be very proud of themselves tonight and it was great to hear a loud roar come from the dressing room when they went in at the end of the match :biggrin:

On a slight downer, I am a bit disappointed in Claudio on 2 completely unnecessary bookings in a short space of time and he pays the ultimate price in missing the final, we should have taken him straight off after the first booking, but other than that I can't be anything but delighted with tonight's result and I'm pleased it's St Ives on Monday and not Egham, so much easier to get to and with the 2 best supported clubs in the division, it'll be a huge Bank Holiday Monday crowd, 1000+ for sure, can't wait, it feels fantastic to be in these sorts of situations once again :biggrin:

And on the subject of crowds, the SL site has the attendance at 655, what? Unless my eyes deceived me, it was surely more than that?! :blink:
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
DBCL

Post by DBCL »

Very hoarse this morning and sitting in work with people telling me to go home as I sound awful. If only they knew. Actually they do. I can't stop talking about the game. We were awesome last night and although I have not always been one of Quigley's biggest fans, he was superb last night and epitomised the fight, the spirit, the work rate and the performance of the whole team. The support was fantastic especially the group with the drum. More of the same on Monday. we are all in this together. Make the 12th man count.

A bit of local Knowledge:

St Ives hold a big market on bank holiday's with the High street closed. May be best to avoid the town centre before the game
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Pete wrote:Brilliant night, of course. Outstanding.

But...

Can you really consider a top level side, say Champs League semi final second leg, or World Cup semi final, or even just professional level playoff semi finals, being 2-0 up against ten men who have an emergency keeper in goal, with ten mins to go and cruising but with several players on yellows, not immediately taking off those players most likely to get sent off? I thought the lack of pretty obvious substitutions made the game way more close than it should have been in the end.

Something to learn from, I would hope.
I don't agree. Had we taken Lewis Leslie off earlier they might have scored even earlier - as they scored shortly after he went off - and to take both him, Brad and Claudiu off would have completely upset our style of play - especially if the match had then gone to extra time.

I do sometimes query why we don't make substitutions earlier, but in my opinion Peaksy was right to keep the same 11 on for as long as possible given how well they were playing.
Brownie
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Brownie »

Pete wrote:Brilliant night, of course. Outstanding.

But...

Can you really consider a top level side, say Champs League semi final second leg, or World Cup semi final, or even just professional level playoff semi finals, being 2-0 up against ten men who have an emergency keeper in goal, with ten mins to go and cruising but with several players on yellows, not immediately taking off those players most likely to get sent off? I thought the lack of pretty obvious substitutions made the game way more close than it should have been in the end.

Something to learn from, I would hope.
Not sure how easy it is to decide who is most likely to get sent of, if your cruising the possible assumption would be don't disrupt the system that has got you into that position & rely on those players on a yellow not to put in any daft challenges.
For the 1st time I listened to a game on Diamonds radio & may I congratulate those involved on the excellent presentation, not that I intend using the service on a regular basis certainly not on Monday.
Finally massive congratulations to the players and management, given a target last August and despite all the disruptions since January, last night took one big step beyond that original goal, not too much to ask for just one more step on Monday is it!! And well done Peaksy, I like many am a predominantly 4-4-2 man but he changed it, to counter / disrupt / out smart Royston and it appeared to have worked quite well.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 87 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Olly wrote: On a slight downer, I am a bit disappointed in Claudio on 2 completely unnecessary bookings in a short space of time and he pays the ultimate price in missing the final, we should have taken him straight off after the first booking
If we are going to point any fingers then surely they should be at the player not the manager. Peaks wasn't to know that Claudio would go flying into a tackle so soon after being booked. Peaks has got some criticism this season, last night certainly doesn't warrant that.
Olly wrote: And on the subject of crowds, the SL site has the attendance at 655, what? Unless my eyes deceived me, it was surely more than that?! :blink:
I would say 655 sounds about right. There was 421 at Garden Walk earlier in the season and would say an extra 200+ on that sounds about right.
corby diamond
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by corby diamond »

As much drama off the pitch as on it last night!! First off what a game! Thought every single player put in a shift and half way through the second half you had to ask who was the home team?

The formation worked much better, Royston just couldn't get to grips with it, Leslie and Bowen worked excellent together and the midfield just broke the majority of it down leaving Royston with nothing.. The lads dominated the second half and could of had another 2-3..

Well done to the drummer and singers who created a party atmosphere, you did yourselves proud and the Bowen chant is genius!! That's on par with my all time favourite player chant.. Got to be the Bon Jovi - Daryl Clare chant at Nene Park :cheesy: anyways WHOS ON FIRE???????

Lastly a massive thank you goes out to Trek and his friend, and if the 2 guys are on here who tried to jump start me and let me use their phone is on here, thanks so much lads!! What a time for your battery to die after the game and that's exactly what it was, although finally getting seen about 11.10 the guy did say your battery is running on empty!!! Finally getting home at 12.30am.. But I can't thank you all enough! Least I didn't have to pay £220 to be towed home :good:

Bring on Monday!!!!!!!
AFC Rushden and Diamonds Membership Number - 60
UttoDiamond

Post by UttoDiamond »

I couldn't make it last night due to work commitments and living so far away, so I listened to Radio Diamonds who I thought did an outstanding job on the night, hats off to Chris, Bruce, Paul and Doug. What impressed me most (other than the fantastic performance) was the great atmosphere our fans created which was coming over loud and clear in the broadcast, I even joined in the Bowen chant from home BOWEN'S ON FIRREEEEEE!!! I'm sure this gave a massive boost to our players, and I can't wait to get involved on Monday!! :drinks: :joy:

COME ON YOU DIAMONDS!!

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, WE'RE COMING FOR YOUUUUU, K*ttering TOWN, WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!!!
AFC R&D Member Number 444
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

Epic! Magnificent! Fantastic! Awesome!

That's last night done and dusted, more of the same on Monday, both on and off the pitch please ! Players on it were awesome, fans off it were ....... well awesome!

We've won nowt yet though, so heads out of the clouds and feet firmly planted on the ground!

That said, we'll win 0-3 :drinks:
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Thought the fans were fantastic last night especially the singer's in the stand, created a great atmosphere which will have played a part in the win. Tactics spot on and every player played very well. Gutted that Hoban will miss the final as he does and the flair and is a great outlet.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

fentiger79 wrote:Thought the fans were fantastic last night especially the singer's in the stand, created a great atmosphere which will have played a part in the win. Tactics spot on and every player played very well. Gutted that Hoban will miss the final as he does and the flair and is a great outlet.
Has to be hall to come in for him. That'll still add an attacking threat on the wing.