[ Tues 5th Apr ] v Arlesey KO 7.45pm SL1DC Away

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 46 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: [ Tues April 5th ] v Arlesey KO 7.45pm SL1DC Away

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Promotion would be an absolute killer this season. You lot moan enough when the team are in the top half, some of you would self implode if there was a relegation battle.

There must be some on here who knew that this time would come, when the upward movement slowed and a time of consolidation would be needed. It's come now, another season or even two at this level will not hurt. The club can only go so far at the Dog and Duck so it's almost at the point of stagnation there. Promotion would mean increased wages, increased travel costs and increased costs staging home games.

It's funny that two or three years ago the forum was full of posts saying how grateful everyone was to be able to watch their team on a Saturday, now it's some sort of purgatory. Get some perspective.

I would comment that "buying in", as that is what effectively is happening, players who have played at a higher level is not always the right policy as there will be a reason they drop down, and it won't be playing in front of big crowds. You need a couple of experienced heads but also go looking for young, hungry players wanting to improve and progress. That happened at the start, it doesn't seem to now.
Brownie
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Brownie »

Christ I thought I had a bad night, drive over there spend the first half chucking up and s..ting through the eye of a needle, leave at half time & have to stop twice on way home for more d&v. Reading this though looks like my evening was a lot more fun than those who watched the game.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Good balanced post DBCL. I don't agree with most of the comments regarding the management team - after all they were absolutely fine until recently. Having said that, I'm finding that I just don't agree with the team selections and somebody is/should be accountable for the piss poor recruitment lately.

Surely there must be some hungry UCL players, or players playing in our league that would grab the opportunity to play in front of 500 fans each week? Give me ELJ (what's happened to him?), Quigley, Richards & Berwick over this lot. At least you know they're going to put a shift in for you. The likes of Dolman, Ashton, Harris and Lorraine must be pulling their hair out.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

One thing is clear, the midfield is not working so it's time to go back to what has worked with Quigley and Harris. Personally I'd also play Richards out wide instead of Hall. I like the Lorraine and Sandy partnership up front but someone in that midfield HAS to get up there with it, that has to be Quigs as he's got the legs. Not convinced by Lee at left back, this needs looking at in post season. There's still time to grab a play off place so the manager must now make some big decisions.
AFC R & D member number 34
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Yeah good post DBCL . Everything that I was saying last night but put better .

The management have lost it tbh. And I think the players are frustrated. Nevertheless our experienced heads , have got to earn the money given to them and rally the troops on field, forget about what's going on in the dressing room (if there is anything) and show what this team can do. But I am starting to think it's gone to far now. Let this season finish and then I would like a fresh new management. It's football yeah???!!! I like Peaksy and co but we might have to stop being so loyal .

Like I said let's wait till the end of season and see what's happened.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I think most fans are extremely disappointed and I suspect this includes board members who I know can't publicly say so although we saw evidence of this frustration in the club's official Twitter feed last evening during the match.

The attached chart shows the problem, all those weeks at either first and second in the league which built up our belief, despite an indifferent start to the season, showed the potential of the team but the dramatic drop off in form over the last seven games which has included five defeats and a mere three goals scored and only 4 points secured means that we are now in a real dog fight for the last play off spot. We now need a maximum six points from the next two home games, some sort of positive result at Egham - at least a point so that we can go into our last home match against Godalming in a positive frame of mind knowing what we need to do.

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/south ... afcrushden
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Three of Diamonds wrote:One thing is clear, the midfield is not working so it's time to go back to what has worked with Quigley and Harris. Personally I'd also play Richards out wide instead of Hall. I like the Lorraine and Sandy partnership up front but someone in that midfield HAS to get up there with it, that has to be Quigs as he's got the legs. Not convinced by Lee at left back, this needs looking at in post season. There's still time to grab a play off place so the manager must now make some big decisions.
Agree entirely with your comments TOD. Despite my comments about recruitment I think Sandy is probably the lone exception.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 87 times
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Reading Twitter last night there seemed to be two differing attitudes after the game. Those that were suggesting the result and 2nd half performance constituted something similar to the end of the world and those pulling out the “I’m just glad we have a club” card.

Firstly, there were some massive overreactions of Twitter last night. Heat of the moment? Maybe. Anger at having to watch that 2nd half? Probably. The frustration of knowing what we are capable of earlier in the season? Definitively. It seems that what has happened is, instead of Peaks working with a team that was short of a few goals was to totally decimate it and create a team that doesn’t even create chances. It is in my eyes the biggest failure of Peaks tenure at the club but I’m not sure that necessarily leads to his departure either in the short-term or in the close season.

Secondly, after 4 years I think it might be time for some to stop waving the “Just glad we’ve got a club” card every time we lose a game. Yes we are all grateful we have a club but it is not an excuse for the performances and results of the last 2 months. I don’t understand the mantra that somehow poor performances, lack of effort, poor tactics and lack of management can somehow be justified by our mere existence.

I think it is right that we are questioning the management at the moment as to how, though their leadership we have brought in players that don’t fit in and let others go which helped create a competitive team. Why a team that was creating chances now can’t string a pass together… I await to hear the answers.

Ultimately, it is looking almost certain that we will miss out on promotion this season or even a play-off place. That is not necessary a bad thing in the long term but after seeing the team we had and the performances and results we were capable of in the first 2/3 of the season, I would declare this season a failure.
DiamondBarmy

Post by DiamondBarmy »

If the players are being told too play hoofball, that's the way they are gunna play and it does not work! We've played hoofball for too long, teams know they just need too drop off more and clear the ball away! If you wanna give the oppostion something too worry about you play with possesion and always look dangerous in attack! With our management, it won't change! All they do is look for reasons to blame when they lose E.g. The officials! Have some guts and take the blame for it, they picked the way they want too play and who plays!! Simply not good enough anymore, I've been too patient! Now it's time too have a change in the club! Can't watch ROUTE ONE anymore! I will be backing the team till the end, but I don't show any support too the management anymore! Look at our wage budget, we can only progress so far without having our own ground! Let's sort that out and have players that want too play for our lovely club, show some passion and wear there heart on there sleeve! Roll your socks up and fight for it!
StaceyH
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by StaceyH »

Trek wrote:I think most fans are extremely disappointed and I suspect this includes board members who I know can't publicly say so although we saw evidence of this frustration in the club's official Twitter feed last evening during the match.
The Club's Twitter feed is run by a volunteer on matchday. At the start of the match commentary, you will find whomever is posting at the match tagged with their @ name.
Their comments are their own opinion of the game and are not necessarily representative of any Board member.
R.I.P Dale....always and forever in our hearts