[ Sat 20th Dec ] v Thurnby Nirvana, KO 3pm UCLP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: [ Sat 20th Dec ] v Thurnby Nirvana, KO 3pm UCLP AWAY

Post by Formic »

we'll have to hope for one positive from this game in that it serves as a "wake-up" call to all those on and off the pitch who thought we were cruising the league. We missed Confue and Ashton badly, and failed to put their shakey defence under enough pressure. When we finally broke quickly we scored - our other breaks were ponderous to say the least.

I couldn't understand the timing of the substitutions - they either needed to be sooner to give appropriate players a rest, thus giving Scott Joseph more time to make an impact, or to bring Jack Ashton on as first change, not third.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

Horrid place to go and an annoying way to lose, but we had the chances to put it to bed before then and didn't take them - how many times have we said it, football is all about taking your chances!

It doesn't change things greatly, we still needed to beat Holbeach and the other sides around us, we still do! Just adds a little pressure to have to do it and less room for failure.

Shows just how much teams put in to beating us and how much it means by the way they celebrated at the end, they won their cup final today didn't they? Quite sad really !!

Hope we never have to go back there and the ground grader that passed that ground as fit for step 5 football needs sacking !! Having seen firsthand the hoops they put us through it definitely shows there is one set of rules for us and another for all other clubs !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

Yet again we have struggled against one of the better teams. We need a couple of decent quality signings to help get us over the finishing line. At the moment I would say it's 50/50 to win the league. Have to agree that leaving Ashton out was crazy. Please can we stop this stupid rule that means if you miss a game you start back on the bench. You play your best 11 no matter if someone's been suspended, injured or on holiday. For me we have to have dunks back in the team, brings so much to our play. You play a good couple of wingers with him and it brings goals.. I know he is injured at the moment but once fit get him back in there.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Squad is now looking a tad thin with Merrill and Gearing out with long term injuries, Gyasi and Dunkley also injured and it appeared to me that Bunting was holding his back when substituted. Do Harmon and McInally have enough quality as suitable replacements? If not then I agree that we may need a couple of new signings or a recall for Clarke as cover in central defence.
paulg

Post by paulg »

A costly defeat and in the space of 90 mins we go from us being in control to Holbeach having it in their hands. The good thing for us is we have an ideal chance to get that defeat out of our system with a cracking local derby on Boxing Day. I think the lads we have are good enough to respond and go on another great run, but if the injuries take their time to heal (hopefully Dunks & Gearing won't be out for too long and Bunts is ok) then maybe a new face or two won't hurt.
Trek

Post by Trek »

I was told Matt Gearing (broken big toe) will be out for 4-6 weeks but Dunks picked up a training injury on Thursday evening. Don't know the status of Gyasi's injury but obviously Merrill's injury (cracked sternum) was more serious and no indication when he will be available.
We must start with Confue and Ashton on Boxing Day!
corby diamond
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by corby diamond »

One of the worst places I have visited, from an absolute dump of a ground to totally being unprepared for a large visit. You could tell that in the first few minutes after asking for a tea, they looked flustered then, don't get me started on half time.

An absolute dire, boring first half of football, no pressure, no movement, nothing. Apart from Brad, who I rave about most games, everyone seemed static, non existent. My god are we going to miss matt gearing, elliot today on some occasions, his crossing and corners are poor. Fazel was also poor in the first half. Second half slightly more urgency, but they wanted it more. A sloppy penalty to give away and a free kick caught the defence napping big time gifted them the win. Their boss shouted at the end we deserved this. I couldn't actually disagree.

It's a real shame that yes they won, they came from behind and deserved the win. But asks the question should it have been another team would they have acted such twats in the over celebrating as they did today. It's a real shame that teams can't see past the rushden and diamonds name, that's all it is! It was a cup final for them today, but don't see the logic of a celebration like that if you achieve nothing!! :(
AFC Rushden and Diamonds Membership Number - 60
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

corby diamond wrote:
It's a real shame that yes they won, they came from behind and deserved the win. But asks the question should it have been another team would they have acted such twats in the over celebrating as they did today. It's a real shame that teams can't see past the rushden and diamonds name, that's all it is! It was a cup final for them today, but don't see the logic of a celebration like that if you achieve nothing!! :(
But then again you could say that it was a good achievement to beat top of the league, hence the reason for the celebration
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

If that 'rule' mentioned above is a real thing I'd be mortified. Shooting ourselves in the foot, and for what? What have we gained from leaving Ashton out today?

I sincerely hope it's not true and hope to see both Confue and Ashton in the starting XI on Boxing Day.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek

Post by Trek »

Attendance 185 according to the Full Time site? :o Not our concern I suppose, but how do some of these clubs arrive at their attendance figure with no proper turnstile? A head count was done around the perimeter towards the end of the first half by Pigman and it was at least that figure not counting spectators in the two small stands and the elevated viewing area near the club house. I reckon the crowd was at least 250 with 200 plus AFCRD's fans. There didn't seem to be much counting being done at the entrance to the ground. I bet they look at their turnstile takings and their club secretary makes an inspired guess for the declaration to the UCL.