The Contenders !!!!!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

The Contenders !!!!!

Post by Pigman »

Naaaaa, not that Sly Stallone boxing thing, but a brief look at the sides currently vying for the play-off spots and my assessment of their chances.

Mansfield - a spent force? I think so. Still possible they may rally but with York's victory last night they really do look a spent force. They may rally but I think they've shot their bolt now. We still have to play them

Crawley - been playing really well, but played more games than those around them (still, better the points in the bag). Beat AFC Dons 2-1 and Luton recently. An outsider, but they'll have to perform heroics to get in and I thin they'll run out of games. We still have to play them

AFC Dons - games in hand on the scum and York and had started to fade badly (2 defeats and a draw since beating Luton). Now back to winning ways against Eastbourne (2-0), but lets see what they do with those games in hand. A tad inconsistent, but still contenders thats for sure. We still have to play them

The Scum - In decline !! Good draw at Oxford but a bad performance from what I've heard, rode their luck. Now lost to Alty and Cambridge recently and atrocious at home, which is where most of their remaining games are. Not scoring enough and hopefully the slide down the table to now commence in earnest. We still have to play them

York - good win at Mansfield may just be a case of papering over the cracks. York's form of late has been awful. Lost to Salisbury, FGR and Eastbourne and only drew 0-0 win Alty. A temporary blip and now back to form? Still contenders but I think they'll be inconsistent now.

Us - strong, strong contenders now. Next 2 games will show us how much. A win at Alty away will cement our place and give us a solid platform to take on Oxford - Oxford is a massive game both points and confidence wise, and boy, do we ever owe them one!! Win both games and we could be above them in the table.......stop it Jim !! :lol:

Luton - almost guaranteed a play-off spot with their current form, maybe more if Stevenage stutter - will finish above Oxford now I reckon. Luton are grinding out results now and the 3-1 win against Kiddy is an enormous confidence booster at just the right time. We still have to play them

Oxford - Wobbling like a pissed whore ona wobble board !! Didn't impress me when we played them in Feb, recently lost to H&Y, drawn with the scum and Cambridge but beat AFC Dons - far too inconsistent for potential Champions. They will make the play-offs but anything more than that they'll need to really step up. We still have to play them

Stevenage - Champions .................if they can hold their nerve.

We have to play 6 of the other 8 contenders in our remaining games, but I'm confident we can beat them now. We're playing well and injuries and suspensions aside (and dodgy refs obviously) I can see no reason why we can't beat off the competition for a play-off spot. The next 2 results will be our platform for doing just that.

How do I see the table ending?

Stevenage (C)
Luton
Oxford
R&DFC
York.............or maybe AFC Dons ;)

Us to beat Oxford in the semi's and Luton in the Final..............whats that noise? Oh, its my alarm clock, I must have been dreaming :lol:

What do you lot think??
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
rushdenman

Re: The Contenders !!!!!

Post by rushdenman »

I wouldn't argue with a single word of that, Jim - a very good assessment.

I'm glad you made the proviso of avoiding injuries because that could be our biggest problem. Apart from that we have everything going for us at the moment.
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

Yeah agreed with all of that PIggers, and i wouldn't be surprised if we see a defender coming in on loan at some stage. I dont think we need any more competition wise, but that is where we could fall apart if we get a couple of injuries or suspensions. Heres hoping you are right though!
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Spot on, Jim, as usual. ;)
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

Blummy, I thought at least one of you would disagree with me.................come on guys, get with the programme ;) :lol:
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

PigmanRDFC wrote:Blummy, I thought at least one of you would disagree with me.................come on guys, get with the programme ;) :lol:

I'm waiting for the "who do we want in the play-offs" edition ;)
AFC R & D member number 34
Harry

Post by Harry »

What an absolute load of bollox Pigman.

(I actually agree with you, just thought i'd give you your wish of somebody disagreeing.) :lol: ;)
Diamond down South.
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

Harry wrote:What an absolute load of bollox Pigman.

(I actually agree with you, just thought i'd give you your wish of somebody disagreeing.) :lol: ;)
Good lad, its boring when we all agree, now then.................. thats bollocks Harry and you know bugger all about bugger all !! ;) :lol:

TofD - I couldn't give a stuff who we get in the play-offs as long as we get someone - I honestly believe IF we make it, we'll win it - but I'd like one of the big boys (Luton or Oxford) for the revenue - we'll need a bit of cash in League 2 afterall !! :D
CountHermanDeBanker

Post by CountHermanDeBanker »

I do disagree Jim. As we will finish as...

champions.
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Pretty much agree..

I'd go...

1. Stevenage

2. Oxford
3. Luton
4.York
5. Diamonds

6. Wimbledon
7. K*ttering
8. Mansfield
9. Crawley
10. Altricham

I think we're gunna scrape 5th, just.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.