All Time Diamonds XI: Manager

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.

Poll ended at Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:39 pm

Brian Talbot
55%
Roger Ashby
12%
Barry Hunter
4%
Justin Edinburgh
29%

Total votes: 51

wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

As we enter the final furlong in the winding road that has been the Diamonds XI we look at the vote for who will manage our stellar side. This nomination was spectacularly easy as all the panel suggested the same four names (even though some added others) so here we have the cream of the crop from those who have been foolhardy enough to take the reigns at Nene Park. As usual click on the names for more info:

Brian Talbot managed the club to it's highest level after rising with it from the Conference. He took over from Roger Ashby in February 1997 and remained at the club till March 2004 having won the Conference and Division 3 with the club. He oversaw the introduction of talents like Paul Hall, Onandi Lowe and Duane Darby to Nene Park and although he at times had a troubled relationship with some of the fans he will always be associated mostly with the good times.

Roger Ashby managed both Irthingborough Diamonds and Rushden Town before joining the newly founded Rushden and Diamonds FC in 1992. His time in charge saw the club rise to the Conference for the first time and establishing itself as a massive force in non league football. With the likes of Darren Collins playing under him his side was almost unstoppable in it's rise to the top of the pyramid however he was unable to take the club to the next level and was replaced by Brian Talbot in 1997.

Barry Hunter is already a member of the Diamonds XI but he is also fondly remembered for his time in charge of the club. While he saw no real success in his time his teams never gave much less than their all and he was successful in steering the club away from relegation in 2005. His introduction to the world of Rushden and Diamonds of a certain Billy Sharp will always leave Diamonds fans with happy memories. During the stay of execution he also led the team to a famous victory over rivals Northampton town providing a brilliant point in amongst a few seasons of pain. Unfortunately the next season he was unable to repeat the trick as the club fell out of the league again and his contract was not renewed.

Justin Edinburgh became manager of Rushden and Diamonds in 2009 after the resignation of Garry Hill. Since his appointment he has broken the records for highest wins in both home and away matches and turned the clubs fortunes almost 180 degrees after a few years of drifting under Hill. While he is yet to achieve anything of note at the club it is undeniable that he has brought back a feeling of joy to watching RDFC without needing the stupendous outlay some of his predecessors were able to call on.

The other real contender for this vote was Graham Westley he was suggested by more than one of the panel but the four chosen were named by everyone.

I'd like to thank you guys for voting and especially thank those who helped me compile the nominees each week. I hope you've all enjoyed the debate, the results will be revealed in a weeks time.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: All Time Diamonds XI: Manager

Post by Pigman »

Talbot, closely followed by Ashby, then Justin for me - Talbot could be a cock of the highest order and had oodles of cash to play with, but he had to cope with massive expectations and delivered (in the end). He gets my vote purely because I have had my best years following Diamonds during the Talbot years.............I'm hoping Justin is going to change that :D
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Harry

Post by Harry »

Has to be Talbot. I don't like the man, but he is still the clear choice.

I think Justin easily has the ability to surpass him. Just needs to be in the job a few years.
Diamond down South.
RushdenTillIDie

Post by RushdenTillIDie »

PigmanRDFC wrote: He gets my vote purely because I have had my best years following Diamonds during the Talbot years.............I'm hoping Justin is going to change that :D
This was my thinking, I prefer Justin tbh, but he hasn't quite had the success yet, here's hoping he does, but for now it's OBN, He was manager of my best years.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Justin could be one day but at the moment, despite the resources he had, Talbot was very successful and obviously played a huge part in our successful years so my vote had to go to him.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

What Pigman said.
BringBackDuane

Post by BringBackDuane »

I dont think you can completely judge a manager on the success they had. I think its about how they fare in relation to how they could realistically fare. I can't comment on Nick Ashby, only saw about two games under him, but by looking at his achievements he looks like a genuine candidate for this award. Before any of you jump to conclusions, I was also a fan in the Talbot days, probably more so than I have been before Christmas this year. I think with the resources Talbot had, he should have got us up far earlier than he did, especially in the Conference days, where we spent season after season pratting about. Yes the Conference was, and still is a tough league to get out of, but I think the final promotion took too long. However, in the 2 1/2 years in the Football League, he did enjoy lots of success. You can't argue with play-offs, champions of League 2, then at Xmas we were within touching distance of the play-offs. He is the manager that did the most I guess, and for the time being, he gets my vote. Ernie Tippett - my memory escapes me. I think Barry Hunter made a good stab at it and no-one can ever doubt his commitment and passion he had for that job, and we had some excellent wins, but those wins were only excellent because we never did it! He had two-ish poor seasons in fairness, and despite the difficult circumstances, I think he had the resources to fare better. Paul Hart was just a complete Fail, and on his results in charge of us, the award has to surely go to Graham Westley ;) Nah, its clear to see that family ties were put in priority of the football club, a strange decision for me. Garry Hill was the worst manager we ever had, and ever will have. I really hope he reads this. He was just a thug, who gave our club a bad name. A 'so-called' family club no more. I didnt know family clubs had managers who headbutted opposition managers? Nothing made me more angry than that. As for his actual spell as manager, well he spent around 100k in 3 years for a couple of lower mid-table finishes, Very Poor. And then we have Justin, who I think if you did this vote in a few years, I strongly predict, he will win this handsomely. I dont think you can give an all-time award over a year, but what a year its been. Correct me if I'm wrong but he has bought no-one for money, and only one player was bought for money. He's managed to combine a real mix. Young/Old, ex football league/coming up from non league, signings/loans. He has just created the perfect balance, and seems a nice guy on the few times Ive met him. He has done everything in the right way, from obviously performances and results on the pitch, to the increased media coverage, to the extra emphasis placed on thanking the fans. He really knows what it takes to be successful, and I am so excited as to what the future holds. I think this has been the best year for Rushden & Diamonds FC in terms of of actual performance vs inital predictions, long may it continue, and whatever happens this year, Im sure you'll agree, Rushden fans have got what they've deserved for suffering the last 6 years. An honest, achieving team!
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

WALL OF TEXT :lol:
BringBackDuane

Post by BringBackDuane »

DiamondsFan wrote:WALL OF TEXT :lol:
Was one of the posts where you set off intending to write a few lines, then the passion kicks in and youve wrote like 20 ;)
Superhans

Post by Superhans »

BringBackDuane wrote: I can't comment on Nick Ashby,
Clearly!
his name was roger! :lol: ;)

my vote has to go to talbot, our most succesful years were under him.
WHEN I SANG RUSHDEN TILL I DIE I MENT IT! LONG LIVE THE AFC...