[ Sat 23rd Aug ] v Ptrboro Northern Star, KO 3pm UCLP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

paulg

Post by paulg »

I missed the trip to PNS last season so looking forward to going to the game on Saturday. I notice they have won 2 out of their 3 league games so far, so this could be a big test for our lads. Does anyone know about the fitness progress of Brown and Merrill? It would be good to get some natural full-backs back in our line-up, and hopefully we can build on Friday night's big win. I'm predicting a 2-1 win for us, possibly requiring a late winner.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Sat 23rd Aug ] v Ptrboro Northern Star, KO 3pm UCLP AW

Post by Trek »

paulg wrote:Does anyone know about the fitness progress of Brown and Merrill?
I should imagine that Sam will be available for selection although I was advised last Friday that Joe has been told by Peaksie to improve his fitness so I think he won't be included.
If Brown is selected I don't think you can drop Ashton so who misses out?
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Trek wrote:
I should imagine that Sam will be available for selection although I was advised last Friday that Joe has been told by Peaksie to improve his fitness so I think he won't be included.
I would leave out Parky, and move Ashton into the middle with Dolman. Not sure what I'd do when Merrill is fit again though, as I would definitely prefer him at right back than Henderson, but Henderson is such a good player that I wouldn't want to leave him out. Maybe put him in the holding midfield role instead of Brad, although that would be very harsh on Harris. And then you've got Jamal to factor in again soon...... nice selection headache for Peaksy!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Trek wrote:
Parky surely?

I'd actually assumed that Parkinson would take a back step this season despite the fact he's still good enough. Just given his age, he's taken an interest in the coaching, and the fact we've at least 5 other players that could also perform well in that position (Dolman, Ashton, Harris, Henderson, Clarke). The injury problems in defence have necessitated that he played.

Under normal circumstances i'd expect it to be Brown, Dolman, Ashton, Merrill, but like Dave had said there's no way Henderson can be left out.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Parky was the one that I'd leave out, despite being captain, and it's interesting to see that Dave and BR are in agreement. Dolman should be given the arm band, and the Henderson/Merrill/Harris debate can be left for another day.
paulg

Post by paulg »

Yes a back four of Henderson, Dolman, Ashton, Brown will hopefully be on show on Saturday, giving Parky a chance to rest up on the bench.

When Merrill comes back it does indeed give Peaksy a great selection headache, but this is the time of the season to have quality options with our cup commitments etc.

Regarding the arm band, at one point last season wasn't Dunks skipper even when Parky was playing? (maybe I'm imagining it)
James Beil

Post by James Beil »

Seems Peaksy's going to have a job settling on a first eleven this year - good news for us I suppose. Any thoughts on who might be staying if we go up this year? Surely Dunks and Doleman would be guaranteed at least one more year, and possibly Koriya if he stays fit, Gearing & Clarke would both be in with a good shout - any other prospects in the U21's who might step up?
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

James Beil wrote:Seems Peaksy's going to have a job settling on a first eleven this year - good news for us I suppose. Any thoughts on who might be staying if we go up this year? Surely Dunks and Doleman would be guaranteed at least one more year, and possibly Koriya if he stays fit, Gearing & Clarke would both be in with a good shout - any other prospects in the U21's who might step up?
I think you are being a tad premature on several counts there - we've only played 1 league game so far!
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

paulg wrote:Regarding the arm band, at one point last season wasn't Dunks skipper even when Parky was playing? (maybe I'm imagining it)
Dunks did have a spell as captain when Parky was out injured, but Parky would definitely have had the armband when starting. Bunts actually took over from Dunks as vice captain later on in the season.
James Beil wrote:...Surely Dunks and Doleman would be guaranteed at least one more year...
I'm sure Dolman would not end up as a man on the dole! ;) Although as Formic says, it's a little early to be speculating about next season! I would point out that it looks like we have a very youthful, inexperienced U21 side, so next season might be a bit early for them, regardless of which league we are in. Having said that, ELJ is still only 18, so proof that if you're good enough you're old enough.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297