Paid stewards....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Paid stewards....

Post by BartonRaz »

Looks like we're getting some paid stewards in. Wonder if this was at the UCL's request or something we've decided to do ourselves...

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob. ... 00-05%3a00
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Paid stewards....

Post by Trek »

I think there is a limit that you can expect unqualified volunteers to do especially in respect of crowd control.
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

Crowd control??? Wasn't it an alleged incident that one fan is being banned for????
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 44 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

It's a planned approach to when we have paid stewards that has meant the incidents have been minimal this season.

It's not difficult to work out that if we don't have enough volunteers in key roles then we will have to buy services in.
The Godfather
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by The Godfather »

When I go, I just see all the stewards walking about, and talking to each other! So why do we have to pay for them to do that??
"In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns."
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

As a club we have a duty of care to make match days as safe as we can - I do the stewarding as a volunteer to help ensure that, I've even administered first aid on one occasion. I don't get paid, so don't really feel like I should have to get involved in some things that happen.

If we have paid stewards it lifts the responsibility off of volunteers - it costs the club money sure, but they are trained to deal with situations we're not, unfortunately it's a fact we've got to face that we need this kind of support.

There is a lot that goes on during a match that you're unaware of - I hope to be able to watch a game of football uninterrupted soon :)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Trek

Post by Trek »

The Guide to Safety at Sports Stadiums (Green Guide) is very specific in the need for accredited stewards (Page 40 onwards).

http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk ... -guide.pdf

As we enjoy larger crowds then there becomes a need for suitably trained stewards.
Trek

Post by Trek »

The Godfather wrote:When I go, I just see all the stewards walking about, and talking to each other! So why do we have to pay for them to do that??
Quite the reverse all these stewards, on the rare ocassion you actually attend, that you see 'walking about etc' are unpaid volunteers who arrive at the ground up to a couple of hours before the match starts and they perform a valuable service for spectators and, in fact, actually pay an admission charge to carry out these duties!
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

"Duties include crowd control and assisting fans with queries".

Surely if people have a question they could ask someone else in the crowd. We're all fairly friendly.

Example
Fan1- "Excuse me where might I find the toilet
Fan2- "I'm sorry you'll have to ask the stewards"
Fan1- "Oh ok?" ( fan1 promptly p*sses themselves, on the hunt for a steward- it's too late the damage has been done)

As for crowd control, I think we've wiped out all possible sources of future disruption on match days.

I do think that the people who do the stewarding need a break and are entitled to enjoy the game uninterrupted. However can you honestly say that against teams like Yaxley, Harborough Town and Sleaford we need the volume of stewards we have on a match day. They bring 5 to 10 fans or sometimes none at all. I often wonder why you need 4/5 stewards patrolling the carpark. Then 8 odd stewards patrolling the ground inside. Where's the need for the crowd control?

Agreed against teams like Wellingborough, Wisbech and Oadby next year, we will need increased stewarding. Surely though against the smaller teams that bring no fans, most of our volunteer stewards can have the afternoon/night off. When we visit most UCL grounds away there is often little or no stewarding, and believe it or not, no one's died, no one's been hurt and no one attends game in fear of their life fearing that it will all kick of at the drop of a hat!

Moving on to paid stewards, this seems a complete waste of money, and sadly I feel will cause more friction between the vocal section of the crowd and the club. Let's be honest they will no doubt under instruction to throw out anyone who dares to use naughty word or takes the p*ss out of opposition players etc. The last thing we want is a mini army of stewards like the ones at Tamworth, Mansfied or Crawley!
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by bozzer »

This is nothing new the advert has run on and off throughout the season.
AFC R&D Member No. 67