Stewards.

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
rudolph_hucker

Stewards.

Post by rudolph_hucker »

Why do we need four paid stewards for matchdays? Are we expecting trouble at any games and if so which games? I thought that the stewarding last season was top notch and without any real issues. Door supervisors with badges who think they are gods just waiting for a minor incident so they can flex their muscles will ( in my opinion) have a negative effect on our " family club" image.
If there is a suspect game then why not just hire a couple of agency staff for it?
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: Stewards.

Post by bozzer »

We won't need 4 paid stewards every match but there is only so much the same volunteers can do every match (apart from not actually seeing much of it) so we felt we should offer proper stewarding this season as more of a professional approach. We'll probably only need a couple each game and we certainly don't want to lose our friendly touch so they'll have to fit in with how we do things
AFC R&D Member No. 67
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

Ok I can see that, but if I am reading it right we will be employing ( paying) staff to do the same job as volunteers, working alongside them. If we are only going to need them for a couple of games, why not as in my earlier point just use agency staff?
bozzer

Post by bozzer »

they would only be employed on the hours they work, when we tried to find some agency staff last year it was near on impossible, if anyone has any details thats another option to look at send me a PM
AFC R&D Member No. 67
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

bozzer wrote:so we felt we should offer proper stewarding this season as more of a professional approach.
I thought the two last year were professional. They too the banter well from the crowd and did the job they were asked.

I'm struggling to see what we need even two extra stewards for. Last season there were no problems. I notice you keep avoiding the game/s where we might need extra staff, as I can think of no other reason for doubling/ trebling the workforce. Some of which is voluntarily offered. Are we expecting our crowd to double this year?
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I think it's difficult to gauge where we will need the staff until the fixtures are out.

For example a Saturday game in August against the Chutney Ferrets may be a different proposition to a Tuesday night game in February against them as again it will be different to a winner takes all title clash at the beginning of May.
bozzer

Post by bozzer »

rudolph_hucker wrote:
bozzer wrote:so we felt we should offer proper stewarding this season as more of a professional approach.
I thought the two last year were professional. They too the banter well from the crowd and did the job they were asked.

I'm struggling to see what we need even two extra stewards for. Last season there were no problems. I notice you keep avoiding the game/s where we might need extra staff, as I can think of no other reason for doubling/ trebling the workforce. Some of which is voluntarily offered. Are we expecting our crowd to double this year?
3 of the stewards last year were volunteers without qualifications, 2 were volunteers with qualifications, but they can't make every match, and may actually want to watch some football and can't steward every match as they are fans as well.
I think it's entirely prudent to increase the pool of available stewards whether paid or not.

The honest answer about matches is I don't know, I am sure most matches we will only need a couple of stewards however last season we didn't think we really needed any and rather than get caught out like we did last year, we are trying to be forward thinking whether agency, paid or volunteer.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Bobos

Post by Bobos »

Lee, why don't you Volunteer to Steward, you will save the club money and fines :lol:
Mat.H

Post by Mat.H »

Duke of Wimbourne wrote:Lee, why don't you Volunteer to Steward, you will save the club money and fines :lol:
Did we get any fines last season, I can imagine one game a particular referees report may of put us in trouble.
Having been a volunteer mashall last season most games a straight forward allthough there is still some learning to do.
AFC R&D Membership No 283
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

Duke of Wimbourne wrote:Lee, why don't you Volunteer to Steward, you will save the club money and fines :lol:
Fines??? I like to have a beer at a game as it is the only time all week when I can safely do that. I wouldn't volunteer now knowing that others will be paid.