Ian Feuer talks to The Diamonds Forum

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
ID

Ian Feuer talks to The Diamonds Forum

Post by ID »

Many months ago this forum compiled a list of Q&A questions for our ex-keeper Ian Feuer. At long last, he has replied. :D

What are you doing at the moment? Can you tell us about your academy?

I have built my own goalkeeping academy called "Premier Goalkeeping Academy" it is in southern California near Malibu beach. I know - tough place to be! I started P.GK.A. in 2004 and I am now starting to get my first crop of keepers through to the college and pro levels. It is very fulfilling for me to see kids grow at a sport they love and to be able to be part of this is something special.

Do you keep up with the fortunes of your (many) old clubs?

Yes I do. Fortunately we have a channel called Fox Soccer Channel which show football 24 hours a day! I also have all of the iPhone apps for most of my previous clubs.

In the dressing room before the Rushden-Leeds game, did the players feel they could win?

It was mixed I think. Some did, while some needed a change of shorts, you know!? All I was thinking was how the hell am I going to get through this game, as I was three days into the worst flu to this day I have ever had. I was drinking Lemsip as if it was water!

Would you have signed for the Diamonds permanantly if the opportunity had presented itself?

For sure! I really enjoyed it there and as long as they showed ambition I would have had a go.

You've played football in England, Belgium and America (as well as Wales, if we include your spell at Cardiff)... where did you most enjoy your football?

I have to say I enjoyed my time at Luton and West Ham. Both clubs supporters treated me like I was royalty and I will always remember the fans. I am a fan of football as well so I always had time for the supporters and I would try and spend as much time with them as I could without being mobbed!

It must have been strange going from the Conference to the Premier League in a year?

Well to be fair I was at West Ham and Luton before this having played a ton of games in the higher divisions so it really wasn't a huge step for me. I came back from playing in the USA and was simply looking for any team to get my foot back in the door so when Rushden and Diamonds asked if I would play a couple of games for them I said yes.

Who influenced you when you began playing the sport?

As a kid Toni Schumacher, the German keeper as I met him once when I was young and he thought I was an amazing keeper. Peter Schmiechel was a favorite as well when I was a bit older.

Is the gap in popularity between soccer and the more traditional American sports of baseball, football etc. growing or shrinking?

Soccer is steadily growing here in the USA and I don't know if we will ever surpass the popularity of Basketball and [American] Football or baseball, but we can try and get close and it seems each year we are doing this.

When you were growing up in the US, did you support a team over there or where your eyes drawn to the bigger sides in Europe?

I know it sounds cliche, but my granddad was a West Ham supporter. I didn't know this until I was playing a game for West Ham and my mom was in attendance. When they started singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles" my Mom said this song is what my dad used to sing me to sleep with. I never met my granddad but he was from London and he sang that song to my mom, so I can only presume he was not a Spurs or Arsenal supporter! So to answer your question, I really didn't have a specific team I supported, I just loved football and would support any team who was passionate and played well.

What was the best moment of your career? (you're not contractually obliged to say RDFC v Leeds!)

Well that was one of them! That was a fun result! My debut for West Ham, and for sure my home debut for Luton Town vs Sunderland where I saved a PK. But the best has to be saving a penalty against, excuse my bad language here, Watford, at W@%tford, in front of thier big stand! Seeing the reaction of the Luton fans was amazing! Seeing the reaction of the W@#tford fan was "Priceless"!

What was it like representing your country at the Barcelona Olympics?

That was one of the most amazing experiences I have had as an athlete! One to play in an Olympic Games is amazing, but we played our games at the Camp Nou stadium where Barca plays!

Given you parents' careers in the music/show biz industry, were you ever interested in following in their footsteps?

Even though I have a serious passion for good music, I never really thought about it as my love for soccer started at age 8.

Why do you think the US seem to be developing top class keepers?

I don't know really. Some say its because of our other sports where everything is done with the hands. Maybe but I think that we just have good athletes in this country and we fortunately had a few of them like Friedel Keller, Howard, (can I include myself?) that became keepers. I do however think that there is a gap right now of top class american keepers who could make it over in the highest levels of Europe so hopefully we can get a few coming through who have some promise

Thanks to Ian Feuer!
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS