The greatest ever game

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Stalin

The greatest ever game

Post by Stalin »

With the future of the Club hanging by the thinnest of threads it seems the perfect moment to look back and try to pick out the one game which really stands above all the other's as the Diamonds greatest ever game.

I can think of a couple straight away, FA Trophy at Enfield in 1995 and the home game against Scarborough the season we won the conference, more in terms of just pure relief and wild celebrations which I don't think I've ever seen again.

The Scarborough game was awful, we hadn't played well, Scarborough had come for a draw, the ref had a shocker but half way through the 2nd half with the tension mounting Burgess went on a mazzy run, the defence kept backing off and backing off, he gets into the area and from a tight angle smashes the ball across the goal and into the next.

I think that is the only time I can remember where you can say the celebrations after the goal could have lifted the roof off the terrace, it seemed like a bubble of tension had been popped.

In terms of the greatest ever game, I think there can only be one -

K*ttering Town 0 - 2 Rushden and Diamonds.

I don't even need to describe the game do I. Darby = legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zExdz-cS1-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4SVmG6I ... re=related
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Re: The greatest ever game

Post by davealbon »

Stalin wrote:The Scarborough game was awful, we hadn't played well, Scarborough had come for a draw, the ref had a shocker but half way through the 2nd half with the tension mounting Burgess went on a mazzy run, the defence kept backing off and backing off, he gets into the area and from a tight angle smashes the ball across the goal and into the next.
You obviously did a fair amount of drinking at home games as well! ;) Burge's goal that day was a first time volley from a right wing cross.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

davealbon wrote:
Stalin wrote:The Scarborough game was awful, we hadn't played well, Scarborough had come for a draw, the ref had a shocker but half way through the 2nd half with the tension mounting Burgess went on a mazzy run, the defence kept backing off and backing off, he gets into the area and from a tight angle smashes the ball across the goal and into the next.
You obviously did a fair amount of drinking at home games as well! ;) Burge's goal that day was a first time volley from a right wing cross.
Was gonna say! I remember that game really well, quality volley. With his right foot too I think?

Agree about the derby being the best ever though. Celebrations that night were mental.
Stalin

Post by Stalin »

Was it, what game am I thinking of them?

To be fair, it was over 10 years ago; time has a marvelous way of creating a slightly alternative history where past events seem even more glorious then they actually were; hence Burgess went on a mazzy defence splitting run!
therushden
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

i remember cobblers at home being a fantastic feeling. everyone was buzzing walking back to their cars. never celebrated like that before, pure energy. beating yeovil was the same, when you've been on a long losing run, it means all the more. think that was the game the players mobbed hunter.
3-3 all with qpr- ainsworth scoring two beauties, never seen since at nene park, then us nearly winning right at the death.
i still feel tingly when i think of going one up at elland road.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by Olly »

therushden wrote:i remember cobblers at home being a fantastic feeling. everyone was buzzing walking back to their cars. never celebrated like that before, pure energy. beating yeovil was the same, when you've been on a long losing run, it means all the more. think that was the game the players mobbed hunter.
3-3 all with qpr- ainsworth scoring two beauties, never seen since at nene park, then us nearly winning right at the death.
i still feel tingly when i think of going one up at elland road.
That was Leyton Orient you're thinking of there, 2 late goals from Gier and Bell to end our losing run.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
therushden
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

you're right, we did beat yeovil that season at home though didn't we? maybe it wasn't a league match, maybe it was in the cup. ranks got two i think. backflips, the lot from him.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Diamondsiy

Post by Diamondsiy »

also the 4.4 with grays at home :D ,
AFC RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS - Member No: 380
Diamondsiy

Post by Diamondsiy »

and when we scored in like 14 seconds of play at home v notts, and ended up winning 5.1 i think :lol: ,
AFC RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS - Member No: 380
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

That Grays game ended 5-4 to us. Akurang scored with pretty much the last kick (although i think it was a header)
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291