Spanish Segunda league..

Sports, jokes, news and general waffle.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Spanish Segunda league..

Post by Dazzler »

Interesting that Barcelona B team made it into the playoff places in the Spanish Segunda division. Was wondering what would happen [I assumed they wouldn't be allowed up], and seems they are ineligible to go up anyway, so Real Valladolid make it into the playoffs.

--
1 Real Betis Balompié 83 42 25 8 9 85 44
2 Rayo Vallecano 79 42 23 10 9 73 48
--
3 FC Barcelona -B- 71 42 20 11 11 85 62 - Ineligble
--
4 Elche CF 69 42 18 15 9 55 42
5 Granada CF 68 42 18 14 10 71 47
6 RC Celta 67 42 17 16 9 62 43
7 Real Valladolid CF 66 42 19 9 14 65 51
--
8 Xerez CD 60 42 17 9 16 60 64
9 AD Alcorcón 58 42 17 7 18 57 52
Tables from futbolme - http://futbolme.com/com/index_torneo.asp?id_torneo=2

Hopefully one of my local Spanish teams Elche (been to quite a few games there as only a few miles away) will get into the Primera, now that the other team in the area Hercules (of Alicante) got relegated immediately after going up last season - Trezeguet couldn't save them.

Still Hercules were the only team to beat Barca last season at the Nou Camp [2-0 early in season] - and Barca only lost one more game all season.

The other localish team a bit further south, Real Murcia that were in the Primera a few season ago, just got promoted back to the Segunda after falling down the the Tercera last year - they have a really nice stadium (La Nueva Condomina) on the outskirts of Murcia, includes a large shopping centre/cinema complex as well.

Barca 2010/11 Season Results
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Re: Spanish Segunda league..

Post by BartonRaz »

I still think it's strange that reserve teams are allowed to compete in the actual national leagues. In Northern Ireland the reserve teams enter cup competitions (like the FA Cup for example) but not the actual league.

It would never happen but what if Barca were relegated?

I saw at the beginning of the season that Hercules has signed Trezeguet and Drenthe and assumed they were going to do OK this season.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

BartonRaz wrote:I still think it's strange that reserve teams are allowed to compete in the actual national leagues. In Northern Ireland the reserve teams enter cup competitions (like the FA Cup for example) but not the actual league.

It would never happen but what if Barca were relegated?

I saw at the beginning of the season that Hercules has signed Trezeguet and Drenthe and assumed they were going to do OK this season.
As per Wikipedia...
--
Futbol Club Barcelona B (formerly Futbol Club Barcelona Atlètic until 2009–10 season) is a Spanish football team. They are the reserve team of FC Barcelona. Reserve teams in the Spanish football league system play in the same football pyramid as their senior team rather than a separate league. However reserve teams cannot play in the same division as their senior team. Therefore the team is ineligible for promotion to the Primera Division. Reserve teams are also no longer permitted to enter the Copa del Rey. In the past the reserve teams of both FC Barcelona and Real Madrid have blurred the lines between being a reserve team and a separate entity.
--

So if relegated the B team would also have to go down a level too I guess - and so would save a relegated team...a bit like Alty for many seasons...still I am hoping we won't be saving Southport!

Messi's record in the B Team wasn't too bad...

Lionel Messi Argentina Forward 2004– Played: 177 Goals: 119

I think Hercules thought they'd do well, especially after beating Barca. They spent quite a bit at the ground, so it's a bit tidier than it used to be...still they've just gradually drifted down all season, and had a really bad Jan/Feb.
DiamondCarvell

Post by DiamondCarvell »

BartonRaz wrote:I saw at the beginning of the season that Hercules has signed Trezeguet and Drenthe and assumed they were going to do OK this season.
dont forget Noe Pamarot ;)
We Love You, The Way You Play We Follow, Cos' We Support The Rushden and Diamonds Are Forever.
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

And Elche lost (on away goals) to Granada who go into the Primera instead...

0-0 at Granada
1-1 at Elche [Saturday]
bedforddiamond

Post by bedforddiamond »

Dazzler wrote:--

The other localish team a bit further south, Real Murcia that were in the Primera a few season ago, just got promoted back to the Segunda after falling down the the Tercera last year - they have a really nice stadium (La Nueva Condomina) on the outskirts of Murcia, includes a large shopping centre/cinema complex as well.

Barca 2010/11 Season Results
Dazzler a mate of mine has a place near Alicante and we went to watch Real Murcia when we were out there two years ago, couldn't believe how far they had dropped down the spanish leagues! The stadium is superb and given our current plight I wonder how they finance it playing at the level they are/were.

Didnt enjoy the sunflower seeds before the game, would have killed for a burger haha, glad to hear they are slowly progressing back up, I must say I thought the standard of football was pritty poor considering all the hype around the spainish national team at the time.
Dazzler
The Staff

Post by Dazzler »

bedforddiamond wrote: Dazzler a mate of mine has a place near Alicante and we went to watch Real Murcia when we were out there two years ago, couldn't believe how far they had dropped down the spanish leagues! The stadium is superb and given our current plight I wonder how they finance it playing at the level they are/were.
Yeah it's probably the best of the relatively local grounds, like the way it's a lot deeper inside as it goes down a few levels inside the stadium, so ground outside is half way up when you walk through. I've been there 3 or 4 times, but Elche is the nearest to where I go nr Santa Pola. Been there 10-15 times, same as the Alicante/Hercules Stadium in Alicante.

Hercules/Alicante share a stadium in centre of Alicante (Estadio Jose Rico Perez)

One I only went to once was Benidorm FC - as they were playing Alicante. That had the bar right behind the goal and was serving Cerveza's all game...I remember putting this picture up once before on the old forum perhaps - as I though it would have been great for Johno/Shulv et al at the time.

This is from Nov 2007 (Benidorm v Alicante)
bedforddiamond wrote: Didnt enjoy the sunflower seeds before the game, would have killed for a burger haha, glad to hear they are slowly progressing back up, I must say I thought the standard of football was pritty poor considering all the hype around the spainish national team at the time.
Hehe the Pipa's! Usually a Euro or so for a small pack from the sellers. I like the Giant Sweetcorn best. I remember first time I had Pipa's I gave up trying to split them and just ate them shell and all...you get more of a salt hit that way anyway. Although I did get some odd looks.... usually under most seats is a big pile of shells at the end of the game.

Also like how lots of people bring tin-foil wrapped tortilla, and bocadillo's - as half time comes suddenly they all appear. Have often even been included in a mini picnic that some families have. At Santa Pola FC (they get a few English fans there) they do a kind of sausage bap using the Spanish Black Sausage - Morcilla (like Black Pudding) - that's the nearest I got to a burger. Tortilla slices are good though, especially hot ones.

Yeah Standard is not the best - I think it's all in the Primera and even then there's a huge gulf top to bottom. Seen some pretty good games though, and it's nice have a 9pm kick off when it's so hot.