[ Sat 24th Jan ] v Holbeach Utd, KO 3pm UCLP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Re: [ Sat 24th Jan ] v Holbeach Utd, KO 3pm UCLP AWAY

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Well that was a proper disgrace to the advert of football I've ever seen. The tactics to waste time by Holbeach went beyond a joke, where I'm sure every player fainted injury at least once. Only one ball from the start and their attempt to get another ball in play was pathetic. Also the attempts mainly by Drury to wind up the crowd worked as he acted like a little kid which his muppet-like jumping around. If Holbeach players hadn't have played to these tactics they might have actually won the game as they had some decent footballers in their team.
Poor first half from AFC, with lack of pressure on the Holbeach goal, but the home team only shaded it. Much better in the second where the midfield started to get onto the ball, but an earlier substation was being cried out for, but as usual it came too late. Berwick looks a big threat but maybe should have started on the bench as he was offside around 6 times in the first half and looked to missing match sharpness. Great determination from the side to get the equalizer even if a draw is not what we hoped. Could go into the display of the officials but it gets to repetitive saying how bad they are each week!
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

Anyone know what Holbeach announced as the attendance ... 109 ? :lol:
Unofficial Real Bedford forum
https://realbedfordforum.uk/

Unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds forum
https://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

MarkH wrote:Anyone know what Holbeach announced as the attendance ... 109 ? :lol:
I think that's how many of their fans came out of the woodwork today. I wonder where they are every week?
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

490 according to facebook.
It seems their tactics worked and that is why they are likely to win the league. It is up to their opposition to play football irrespective of their tactics. They can't be blamed for trying to beat us.
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by Olly »

Well what an afternoon that was, that late goal has certainly put me in a much better mood than I would have been otherwise, sure its still in Holbeach's hands, but potentially a huge goal to keep the gap at 8 points rather than 5 and it was justice somewhat I felt, Drury and his bunch of cheats will be kicking themselves to have not closed the gap tonight!

But still, it wasn't good enough from us today, we got going in the second half yes, but lacked the quality going forward and Holbeach were comfortable for much of that game, but like already said, I am disappointed, particularly at the time of the substitutions, I just simply don't get it, the team was screaming out for some fresh legs and Matt or Scott to come on and try and change things when it was clear for most of the second half that we just weren't creating enough going forward, and then to only give Matt 15/20 minutes at the end and not even bring on Scott despite scoring 2 goals in the last game and generally showing himself to be a useful sub to bring on this season was a poor decision imo. And how ELJ lasted 90 minutes I do not know, probably one of his poorest games in a Diamonds shirt, but no one really performed brilliantly going forward today, Berwick was occasionally promising, but largely disappointing and their defence dealt with Dunkley well I thought, though he did seem to be lacking fitness.

And another thing, for us to finish with a man less than that dirty, time-wasting bunch of cheats I feel is absolutely farcical, truly hopeless officiating and finally a word on Drury, apart from stating the obvious about what a c word he is, I can't help but wonder about his sanity, at one point he seemed to deliberately scratch his arse in the direction of our fans, I mean what sane football manager does that ffs, I'd frankly be embarrassed if I was involved with a club with that as a manager :roll:
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
AFC Airmart

Post by AFC Airmart »

I didn't hear this myself, but a fan behind the dugouts told me that Scott Joseph refused to warm up stating "I'm not playing". Maybe his nose had been put out of joint because Dunkley and Berwick started?
Rushdentom

Post by Rushdentom »

AFC Airmart wrote:I didn't hear this myself, but a fan behind the dugouts told me that Scott Joseph refused to warm up stating "I'm not playing". Maybe his nose had been put out of joint because Dunkley and Berwick started?
He didn't seem happy in the warm-up, possibly about Berwick starting ahead of him. Saw him stretching down the sideline a couple of times. Wouldnt surprise me if he refused to warm up with 3 minutes left. Peaksy was very poor today with the timing and selection of his subs. Even Matty Gearing was getting annoyed at not being put on, despite the ball going out several times, after being told to strip off.
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

Rushdentom wrote:
AFC Airmart wrote:I didn't hear this myself, but a fan behind the dugouts told me that Scott Joseph refused to warm up stating "I'm not playing". Maybe his nose had been put out of joint because Dunkley and Berwick started?
He didn't seem happy in the warm-up, possibly about Berwick starting ahead of him. Saw him stretching down the sideline a couple of times. Wouldnt surprise me if he refused to warm up with 3 minutes left. Peaksy was very poor today with the timing and selection of his subs. Even Matty Gearing was getting annoyed at not being put on, despite the ball going out several times, after being told to strip off.

I listened in to the radio. The commentators were way ahead of the game and summed up Holbeach in about 15 minutes. I'm not slating Peaksy, but if they could see it why was he so slow in adapting to it???
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Time-wasting etc are all part of the game. There are 1,001 ways to win a football match and they decided on those tactics. I'm sure if we're ever in a position where we need to time-waste etc and do so, we'd all be up in arms because it wasn't honourable? Nope, didn't think so.

At least the quick end of the season will benefit us if we can get some momentum going. I think we need to win out, because Holbeach dropping four points is possible, but I can't see too many more than that.

As for Joseph, well I can see his thinking, 3 in 2 is good form. He deserves a start at some point.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
paulg

Post by paulg »

Great spirit and character from the lads to get back into it, Holbeach have a strong defence and it's easy to see how they've kept so many clean sheets recently in the league, so to nick a point at the end was a great effort.

We know they're a very strong team, and it's clear that the players is where all their money is going. The ground didn't appear to have undergone any improvements from last year, and they clearly aren't spending much on facilities/resources going on their lack of match balls.

Drury cost his own team the win by instructing them to waste time at every point from the start. If they showed more purpose, I thought they'd have had the quality to get a second before half-time. Preferring to frustrate us and take the piss, he took his eye off the ball as to what his own players are capable of given a chance to play. And could you imagine Drury working in any league that was actually regulated? He'd be given a life ban within 10 minutes.

As for the officials, the Holbeach players refereed them, rather than the other way around