[ Sat 19th Dec ] v Chalfont St Peter, KO 3pm SL1DC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: [ Sat 19th Dec ] v Chalfont St Peter, KO 3pm SL1DC AWAY

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Oundle Diamond #2 wrote:But we have bags of cash to retain star central defenders and star left wingers who should be 1-2 levels higher than they currently are? We are 2nd in the League, which is fantastic. I think I was the only person on here who predicted it. However, in sitting second, we have an opportunity. It's blindingly obvious we are one player short of automatic promotion. That player is a star striker, what we've lacked ever since Taylor and Newman have left. Since then, other players have carried us from further back and I think now is the window where we make a choice. Do we want promotion or are we happy with mediocrity? Let's face it, this will be the last level we will walk, from here on in it'll get tough, so why not just get to the level where we will ply our trade for years to come? This league is here for the taking, we've just won thousands on a great Cup run, let's trim the 6/10s and bring in a 8/10. I'd "enjoy it" a lot more without having to watch Lorraine, Berwick & co. labour up front for their 15 goals a season resulting in dire results like 1-0 losses at home to Egham Town.

I stand by taking pride in our club name, there's no arrogance about it. We're an ex-professional club that I loved travelling up and down the country watching and playing for. It is not a question of money, but about prestige, reputation and fanbase. Players will buy into that too.
- How do you know how much our star defenders/wingers are on exactly? That info is kept secret for good reasons.
- Why are you in such a rush to get promoted? What difference would one more season at this level do? IMO it would actually give us more time to prepare for Step 3.
- I'd rather have mediocrity and safety, then take any gambles thanks.
- You said it, the old club was professional, this one isn't. The old club had a bad reputation, I'd rather this one didn't.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 46 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: [ Sat 19th Dec ] v Chalfont St Peter, KO 3pm SL1DC AWAY

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

OD2 seems to be looking at it from a purely playing perspective.

Although I'm sure the board would love to be at Step 3 next year they have to consider

1 - What work is needed to achieve ground grading and how much will it cost
2 - Is there an opportunity for a new ground that could result in the decision to tread water at a playing level for a few seasons as funds are diverted into that
3 - Who is going to provide the facilities on match days, volunteers are in short supply now and any paid staff will have an impact on the playing budget
4 - How willing are Wellingborough Town to contribute to ground upgrades they don't need

It's been said since day one, but seems to have been forgotten by some people that they key to success is sustainability. The club is not yet five years old but still some are expecting to be in the Conference before the next General Election.