Desperate measures.....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Desperate measures.....

Post by Trek »

Stalin wrote:In the future is there any chance of moving to Hayden Road?

Is there anyway we could groundshare with Rushden & Higham?
They have a reserve team, so like Raunds, they play every Saturday. The ground is very shabby, the seated grandstand condemned as it contains asbestos and appears ready for demolition, which isn't possible since it houses the dressing rooms. The up dated Dog & Duck ground is far superior on all counts other than being in Rushden.
Considering a move to Hayden Road would be a step backwards in my opinion.
Stalin

Post by Stalin »

It does seem the perfect move, the reserve team issue could be sorted I suppose but would moving to Hayden Road be a good idea if we had any Southern League dreams.

The standard of the ground was one of the major factors in Rushden and Diamonds being formed.

I don't think or want us to rush through the leagues and get back to conference, its never going to happen but would moving to Hayden Road stop us from becoming an average Southern League Div One team?

Obviously we need to learn to walk before we can run but its always fun to look ahead, at least we can :lol:
Stalin

Post by Stalin »

Considering a move to Hayden Road would be a step backwards in my opinion.
It probably is, you're right but it does feel perfect.
Bobos

Post by Bobos »

ron manager wrote:Stalin, I asked the same question on the other thread, but I appears that because RH have so many teams there would be no free Saturdays for us. But I would love to move back there.

Get the stand sorted, remove that fence thing behind the goal and move the debank to the other end, that would suit us down to the ground for the short to medium term, then look (with a ground share with RH) for a community stadium on the outskirts of town. Mind you my mind lives in an ideal world.
Loving this dream 8-) 8-)
Trek

Post by Trek »

Why is it perfect, Stalin, apart from being in Rushden? Were you there yesterday and have you seen the improved Dog & Duck?

Believe me, you could throw £100k at Hayden Road and it still wouldn't be as good as the Dog & Duck. I have my doubts whether it would be suitable for the UCL Premier Division and clearly our ambitions are above that level and that is why so much work was done to the Dog & Duck in the summer. The ground at Hayden Road seems so cramped compared with our new home with little space to develop.
ChorltonV

Post by ChorltonV »

I agree with Trek. Whilst on the outside Hayden Road would appear a perfect solution, I think we need to set our sights higher. Hayden Road is stuck in the UCL with no hope of progressing up the leagues. The money it would take to bring it up to scratch would be better spent elsewhere. I believe that the D&D, whilst being out if town, gives us the best prospects to realise our ambitions.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No.318
ron manager

Post by ron manager »

Well, I haven't been DD for years :), has the rubbish drainage been sorted yet, that pitch always fell to pieces, I will be at the next home game, assuming we ever have one again.

But... surely DD is just two stands, and no terracing (unless more is planned etc), where as the Hayden Road, has terracing, which was in good nick, the pitch is very good. I take your point though about cost, as to move there, the main stand would have to be sorted, and that could be a blank cheque job.

Heres a posser, if the Hayden roads main stand was usable, would that made the decision of ground more of a trickey one when deciding last year??

Pretty much all academic now anyway, as RH use it all the time, and we are at the DD after putting a lot of effort in to get it ready. Anyway have to be careful here don't want to do a K*ttering and split the support over pointless things ;)
Trek

Post by Trek »

ron manager wrote:Well, I haven't been DD for years :), has the rubbish drainage been sorted yet, that pitch always fell to pieces, I will be at the next home game, assuming we ever have one again.
The pitch is not the best, but Paul Knowles, who weaved his magic when in charge at NP 10 years ago before leaving to sort out White Hart Lane ;) is now assisting to improve the pitch. A week Saturday when we play BPW I suggest you have a good inspection of the D & D, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Trek wrote:Why is it perfect, Stalin, apart from being in Rushden? Were you there yesterday and have you seen the improved Dog & Duck?

Believe me, you could throw £100k at Hayden Road and it still wouldn't be as good as the Dog & Duck. I have my doubts whether it would be suitable for the UCL Premier Division and clearly our ambitions are above that level and that is why so much work was done to the Dog & Duck in the summer. The ground at Hayden Road seems so cramped compared with our new home with little space to develop.
Completely agree, the D&D will allow us to improve the ground to what's needed as we progress up the pyramid. Of course the objective is to get back to the Rushden area, but Hayden Road is not the answer, even if yesterday was amazing.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
ron manager

Post by ron manager »

Cool, better get my lazy butt down there to see what you have all been up to