This season's attendances !!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Re: This season's attendances !!

Post by Pigman »

Two of Diamonds wrote:
coltrane wrote:When the club goes bust because of lower and lower attendance’s you will see who was right. Eh? :o
In fairness, raising the prices was never Pigman's decision so he cannot be blamed for either of those. The club made it's choice, the supporters make theirs.
Thats correct, its not about who is right, I stopped coming to home games through personal choice as I believed it wasn't in the interests of the club, whilst in a recession, to raise prices in the way they did - I didn't canvass or encourage others to do the same, it was my personal choice based on my belief that the whole thing was dealt with badly.

I hope the crowds come back, I'll keep everything crossed that people flood through the turnstiles - I just don't think it'll happen, and with each passing day your getting less likely to see them come back, I take no pleasure from that at all I assure you.
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
StaceyH
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by StaceyH »

I've long held the view that the only way to get people into the ground is to improve what happens on the pitch. However, it didn't happen last season when we were heading for the play offs and the relative success of that over-achievement hasn't had any effect on attendances this season. That said, I feel that attendances have held up pretty well considering the price hike.

It's never been the same since Max closed the factories and even though it was years ago now, local people do still seem to be holding a grudge and still feel very bitter. The Club needs to look at it's marketing policy and actively get out there in the community and give people a reason to come to NP. I guess the money isn't there but I'd like to see a young, keen graduate employed whose job would be to increase the gate. We need to more proactive.

Personally, I think we're down to the bare bones of 1000 or so 'hardcore' fans who will go no matter what and I don't blame the Club for trying to get as much out of them as they can. As has already been said, it comes down to personal choice. So make your choice and live with it, nothing is going to change, and I'm sure the Club is very grateful to those who choose to still attend. Those who choose not to attend will be missed by those who are there.
R.I.P Dale....always and forever in our hearts
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I disagree DF, we did see a rise in our average attendance last season so people will come to watch the successful bits. I also do not believe that many people stopped coming to a great extent when Max pulled out of the area. He actually kept the industry going here for a good 5 years longer than he could / should have, but he could not compete with cheap imports. IMO there's a direct link between the prices going up and the falling home fans attendances this season. I know quite a few of these people and they just don't believe the reason for the rise (the Conference pricing thing), nor that they should be paying this much money for this level of football.
Hopefully Mansfield will bring a good following on Saturday.
AFC R & D member number 34
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Two of Diamonds wrote:I disagree DF, we did see a rise in our average attendance last season so people will come to watch the successful bits. I also do not believe that many people stopped coming to a great extent when Max pulled out of the area. He actually kept the industry going here for a good 5 years longer than he could / should have, but he could not compete with cheap imports. IMO there's a direct link between the prices going up and the falling home fans attendances this season. I know quite a few of these people and they just don't believe the reason for the rise (the Conference pricing thing), nor that they should be paying this much money for this level of football.
Hopefully Mansfield will bring a good following on Saturday.
We only saw a very small rise in the number of home fans last season, despite enjoying our most successful campaign in years. We struggled to get 2000 home fans for the play off semi, which is shocking when you consider that our average attendance for our first season back in the Conference was around that number.

However, I'm not sure there's much we can do to improve on that at the moment. Attendances across all the divisions are in considerable slump at the moment, mainly (I would guess) due to the global financial situation. We have always had similar attendances to Kiddy and and the Ploppies, and their average gates are still not much different to ours - even with the scum's £10 tickets. I really don't think our situation, as worrying as it is, is any worse than the vast majority of lower/non-league clubs.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Steve

Post by Steve »

I know this has probably all been said before, but I think something like giving tickets away free to schools is the way to go.

Out of interest, and I'm no finance expert, would literally just giving away tickets cause the club to lose money? Might be a foolish question but if the club has nothing to lose from just giving 100 tickets to each school within 15 miles or whatever then it's surely worth a shot. Then again are we even allowed to give away tickets or is that against regulations, like I said I'm not very clued up with this.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Steve wrote:I know this has probably all been said before, but I think something like giving tickets away free to schools is the way to go.

Out of interest, and I'm no finance expert, would literally just giving away tickets cause the club to lose money? Might be a foolish question but if the club has nothing to lose from just giving 100 tickets to each school within 15 miles or whatever then it's surely worth a shot. Then again are we even allowed to give away tickets or is that against regulations, like I said I'm not very clued up with this.
The only extra cost the club pick up is extra stewarding, I have to agree with you steve. However something like that was bring in last season i believe where schools can get a heavy discount on large ticket orders or something like that, fair to say it was a fail for whatever reason, maybe a lack of advertising because it only ever came up on the website once.
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

Or how about something more practical which schools would be stupid to turn down like a small talk with Helen/Rachel/KC for Business students about how the club is run as a business, talks with coaches/physio for PE students about all that stuff.. I understand these people have jobs to do but we do need to try new things to entice fans so I don't see why not? Could just give all these guys tickets after bringing them into the club instead of just cold-calling giving out tickets (just assuming thats what the club do).

Was reading the Corby Town forum last week and they're trying to organise their players to start up training sessions in local schools to stir up a bit of interest. Do we do anything like this? I remember about 10 years ago we had somebody come into our school from Diamonds but I've not heard of anything like that since.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Rushdenjim wrote:
Steve wrote:I know this has probably all been said before, but I think something like giving tickets away free to schools is the way to go.

The only extra cost the club pick up is extra stewarding, I have to agree with you steve. However something like that was bring in last season i believe where schools can get a heavy discount on large ticket orders or something like that, fair to say it was a fail for whatever reason, maybe a lack of advertising because it only ever came up on the website once.
Jim,

The "top story" on the "offers and benefits" page of the website is precisely what you are referring to - http://www.thediamondsfc.com/page/Benef ... 44,00.html

It was also highlighted on the home page a number of times through last season, as well as in the programme. I can't speak with authority on how it was also marketed in the community, but I suggest you call Rachel Roberts if you'd like to help push this and other initiatives.

See also http://www.thediamondsfc.com/page/NewsD ... 12,00.html

It's also on one of the article footers that are attached to an article - so has been publicised many times on the website via that route too - e.g. http://www.thediamondsfc.com/page/NewsD ... 76,00.html
Last edited by Formic on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

DiamondsFan wrote:Or how about something more practical which schools would be stupid to turn down like a small talk with Helen/Rachel/KC for Business students about how the club is run as a business, talks with coaches/physio for PE students about all that stuff.. I understand these people have jobs to do but we do need to try new things to entice fans so I don't see why not? Could just give all these guys tickets after bringing them into the club instead of just cold-calling giving out tickets (just assuming thats what the club do).

Was reading the Corby Town forum last week and they're trying to organise their players to start up training sessions in local schools to stir up a bit of interest. Do we do anything like this? I remember about 10 years ago we had somebody come into our school from Diamonds but I've not heard of anything like that since.
These sorts of initiatives are regular initiatives already e.g. - http://www.thediamondsfc.com/page/NewsD ... 12,00.html

http://www.thediamondsfc.com/page/Study ... 32,00.html
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

Its no good just putting these onto just the Diamonds home pages, you are preaching to the converted. You need to get out there and sell yourself to the people they will not just come to you , but that seems to be the attitude. You have to speculate to accumulate, ie pay some money out for someone to visit schools , youth orgainsations etc.
I know someone who is a very good salesman who is out of work and for a few expenses would probably do it