Northern Premier League

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: Northern Premier League

Post by sussexdiamond »

Assuming we do get placed in the SLC, and I have every confidence in the FA,(sarcasm) then it would be better for us if Bedworth win, as a trip to Barton is easier.

I have fond memories of both places. I once played (a few minutes) in a Showbiz X1 charity match at Bedworth and my first ever holiday as an 11 yr old was to Barton Le Clay, it was just a village then.

Looking at the map the SLC has about half our possible opponents within 30-35 miles and the others, mainly north and west of London, 50-60 miles. The only weird exception is Godalming, but they may well be moved to the Ryman by the FA.
updiamonds

Post by updiamonds »

sussexdiamond wrote:Assuming we do get placed in the SLC, and I have every confidence in the FA,(sarcasm) then it would be better for us if Bedworth win, as a trip to Barton is easier.

I have fond memories of both places. I once played (a few minutes) in a Showbiz X1 charity match at Bedworth and my first ever holiday as an 11 yr old was to Barton Le Clay, it was just a village then.

Looking at the map the SLC has about half our possible opponents within 30-35 miles and the others, mainly north and west of London, 50-60 miles. The only weird exception is Godalming, but they may well be moved to the Ryman by the FA.
I do agree that Barton would be easier, although I think that Bedworth will be moved to the Northern South (if they lose) no matter what.

Also agree that Godalming should be moved to the Ryman league. :D
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: my first ever holiday as an 11 yr old was to Barton Le Clay, it was just a village then.
Was that as an evacuee? or so long ago Ely was an Island and the sea came over to the Chilterns. Barton on Sea can anyone else remember it.
I once went to Wembley with Barton Rovers, 1977/78 FA Vase final, lost 2-1 to Newcastle Blue Star
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Brownie wrote:
sussexdiamond wrote: my first ever holiday as an 11 yr old was to Barton Le Clay, it was just a village then.
Was that as an evacuee? or so long ago Ely was an Island and the sea came over to the Chilterns. Barton on Sea can anyone else remember it.
I once went to Wembley with Barton Rovers, 1977/78 FA Vase final, lost 2-1 to Newcastle Blue Star
Evacuee! Bloomin' cheek. I fought with Harold I'll have you know. :o
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

sussexdiamond wrote:I fought with Harold I'll have you know. :o
How did that go?
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote:
How did that go?
Were you the one who shot him in the eye with an arrow?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

davealbon wrote:
SouthRushdenJFC wrote:
How did that go?
Were you the one who shot him in the eye with an arrow?
Nope, that was Robin Hood
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

davealbon wrote: Were you the one who shot him in the eye with an arrow?
I think he fought with Harold not against him! I'll have to see if he's featured on the Bayeux Tapestry. :D
sussexdiamond

Post by sussexdiamond »

Trek wrote:
davealbon wrote: Were you the one who shot him in the eye with an arrow?
I think he fought with Harold not against him! I'll have to see if he's featured on the Bayeux Tapestry. :D
Of course I fought with Harold.
We only lost to the French team because we had a tough match at Stamford Bridge a few days before, which we won. And as everybody knows that's no easy task. But since that day,14th October 1066,we have never been beaten on home soil. That is some record not even Andy Peaks can match.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

sussexdiamond wrote: We only lost to the French team because we had a tough match at Stamford Bridge a few days before, which we won.
Yeah, the lads were knackered after the 300 mile march to Hastings. Poor scheduling. :D