Building up the fanbase

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Building up the fanbase

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

rudolph_hucker wrote:
Diamond_ Wolf wrote:
Oundle Diamond #2 wrote:So we expect a 16-17 year old to pay the same as a 40 year old Trek? The majority of people are in education up until the age of 21. It has been cheaper for me as a student to watch Exeter City in League 2 than AFC R&D in this tinpot league against Raggy Arse Rovers & co.

Regarding the buses, fair enough DaveAlbon. I was unaware of the local bus timetables. It could be something worth looking at whilst we temporarily play away from our two home towns. After all, surely the current public buses in that local area aren't ideal timings, take too long, and cost too much?

Just some thoughts. I'm probably one of a few people in that 16-21 age bracket on this forum.
I'm sorry but even students can afford to pay £6 quid, it's not even the cost of a pint! As already mentioned there are £3 concessions for those in full time education with an NUS.
I'm out of date here but do students get any money?? I genuinely don't know the answer.
Second point £6 a pint?? What the fuggery buck are you drinking?
I wasn't very clear, I meant the difference between £3 and £6. The majority of students I know are not as impoverished as they like to make out, they are happy to spend 50 quid on a night out but begrudge paying 'full' price.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Diamond_ Wolf wrote: I wasn't very clear, I meant the difference between £3 and £6. The majority of students I know are not as impoverished as they like to make out, they are happy to spend 50 quid on a night out but begrudge paying 'full' price.
I've never had more money than when I was a student. :lol:

Happy to design a leaflet if somebody wants to DM me the content they'd like in it.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Formic wrote: The date for that game is under review and may well be on a Saturday - http://www.afcdiamonds.com/wellingborou ... arranged-2
AFCRD have tweeted this afternoon that the game against the Doughboys arranged for the 24th February has been postponed.
James Beil

Post by James Beil »

BartonRaz wrote:
Diamond_ Wolf wrote: I wasn't very clear, I meant the difference between £3 and £6. The majority of students I know are not as impoverished as they like to make out, they are happy to spend 50 quid on a night out but begrudge paying 'full' price.

Happy to design a leaflet if somebody wants to DM me the content they'd like in it.
I can pick some up from the club shop and try and get them out to Whitefriars, Tennyson Road and Alfred Street - anyone else?
bozzer
Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by bozzer »

BartonRaz wrote:

Thats great BR, as soon as the we have the WTFC date we'll get you the content.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Mat.H

Post by Mat.H »

This home match coach how much would people be willing to pay?
AFC R&D Membership No 283
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Something for next season is this from Exeter City regarding season tickets. They offer the ability to pay for it in 10 installments:

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/tickets/s ... s-2014-15/

Further down the track, and really needs applauding for actually doing this, I found the following article quite an interesting read. In essence Potters Bar handed out free season tickets and relatively speaking it has been successful for them, with an increase in the average attendance from 60 - 70 to around 130. Interestingly They haven't seen that much of a decline in revenue in the gate and has been offset by an increase in sponsorship and match day income:

http://www.cityam.com/210293/potters-ba ... on-tickets
Scholars’ chairman Mark Martyn talks to Ross McLean about a scheme which is shaping club’s future

A MANTRA of something for nothing is not normally associated with football chairmen but in the case of Potters Bar Town FC such a mindset is fuelling the club’s pathway to a financially stable future.

Set against the backdrop of ticket price hikes and the spiralling cost of watching Premier League football, the strategic ploy was the pre-season brainchild of the club’s board, headed by trailblazing chairman Mark Martyn.

The scheme allowed supporters to obtain a season ticket free of charge and forego the £8 payable on the gate for a fix of Southern League Division One Central action in English football’s eighth tier.

The theory behind the pioneering concept was the shortfall in admission takings would be offset by greater numbers attending The Pakex Stadium and higher revenue garnered in other areas such as the sale of beer and pies.

Viewed as a gamble throughout the non-league fraternity where fiscal security tends to hinge on the finest of margins, six months later Martyn is proof that fortune can at times favour the brave.

“The scheme has had more than the desired effect, absolutely a lot more,” Martyn told City A.M.

“The whole idea at the very beginning was to get bums on seats. Without getting bums on seats you’re going nowhere in non-league football. You have to create interest and create a fervour.

“A lot of people thought the idea was mad but it has been a humongous success. The bottom line is attendances have at least doubled and are most probably going towards trebling this season.

“The loss of money on the gate has been overridden by more money spent at the burger bar, at the bar, on raffles etc. People feel obligated to spend money when they get into something for nothing.

“Funnily enough, turnover on the gate is not down that much percentage-wise. The publicity of the scheme has perhaps attracted more non-league ground-hoppers and general football fans, who all pay on the door.

“You could have gone down to Potters Bar high street at the beginning of the season and out of 100 people only half a dozen would have known where Potters Bar Football Club was. People now know who we are. People have found Potters Bar Town.”

After a rip-roaring start to the season which saw Potters Bar Town win six of their opening eight league matches, injuries stifled progress and an alarming slide down the table followed.

Earlier this month young manager Jack Friend resigned his post and assistant Steve Ringrose assumed the reins until the end of the campaign. The Scholars currently occupy 16th place in the league table but are well clear of a relegation dogfight.

POTENTIAL
While results have not hit their early season heights, an average attendance of 135 and season high of 288 against league leaders K*ttering Town makes far healthier reading than crowds of 60 and 70 in recent times. The numbers add weight to Martyn’s instincts about the potential of the initiative and the 58-year-old is convinced there is further mileage in the scheme.

“We had over 500 applications this season, not all 500 turn up at the same time but they will at some stage. That’s just in the first year. We’d hope to make that a 1000 next season,” added Martyn. “Off the back of the free season tickets we’ve got more advertising boards this season than we’ve ever had before, we’ve got more people involved in the club. The bar is now open nearly every day.

“These days, even to go to a Championship game will cost an individual with two kids in the region of £70. If they go to a Premier League clash it will cost over three figures. We are making local football affordable and we know for a fact a lot of non-league clubs have been looking at us.”

The free season tickets initiative is also set to stoke more tangible benefits in terms of bricks and mortar and help the Hertfordshire outfit realise a long-term ambition of a new clubhouse ahead of the 2016/17 campaign.

“A lot of this extra money has been put to one side and we’re in the process of building a new clubhouse, something talked about at the club for the last 10-15 years. Suddenly, it’s happening,” said Martyn. “Our ground now is a bit like tin-pot alley but the club is going places.”
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I like the monthly instalments idea. Presumably it would involve some sort of credit agreement?
AFC R & D member number 34
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

What better way to build up the fanbase than by winning 9-0 and 7-1 in consecutive weekends. ;)
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Three of Diamonds wrote:I like the monthly instalments idea. Presumably it would involve some sort of credit agreement?
I think so. The ways we could likely do it would most likely be some form of direct debit and/or recurring payments through Paypal.
BartonRaz wrote:What better way to build up the fanbase than by winning 9-0 and 7-1 in consecutive weekends. ;)
Agreed, results like that are great for sparking interest to get a few more to come along. Just came across the above, and thought they were worth mentioning . :)

Btw how is your leaflet going? ;)