Stewards.

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: Stewards.

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

mike wrote: As for stewards not getting to see the game other than fetching the ball, we watch 95% of it so may be we should introduce a £5 fine to any player that kicks the ball out the ground!
I think the "you kicked it, you fetched it rule" should apply
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Pigman »

Its never easy to put a point over clearly on message boards like this, its far easier to chat in person, but I am one of the stewards you're talking about Lee and I'm not alienated by this at all - I'm grateful for it !! I'm guessing Bob will be, and Rob, and Chas and while I wouldn't presume to speak for all of our wonderful stewards from last year (I'm sure they can speak for themselves) I'd guess many would be grateful for it as well, in fact we have talked about it amongst ourselves many times last year, particularly on those (many) Tuesday night games !!

As a volunteer steward we can only do so much, a trained professional steward can deal with things far better than I can. There are some issues in a large crowd (things that happen that you may not be fully aware of), when people have had a few drinks etc, that frankly I don't want to have to deal with, why should I as a volunteer?? I'm a fan of the club first and foremost - I'm there for the football !!

We've operated with some people getting paid and volunteers working alongside eachother already in the tea bar - mainly because we can't get enough volunteers !! That's not knocking anyone, that's the reality of the situation.

The key thing is that the Board have recognised where we need help and are doing something about it. Volunteers give their time willingly for the club they love, I doubt many, if any, will be alienated by this (although I stand to be corrected).

Now, if we have an army of people stepping forward who are prepared to take on lots of volunteer duties and be trained up to deal with certain situations then great, but we haven't. So the Board have responded to it. You mention yourself that the guys we had on a couple of occasions last season did a good job, well they were paid and all of us volunteering were really grateful for them being there - we didn't say "they're being paid so we're off". All that is proposed is lifting the burden off of the small band of volunteers a little more this year - that can only be a good thing and as just ONE of those people, I'm well happy with it personally.

As for the third kit, well they're selling well I believe (I'll pick mine up tomorrow evening - I really like it) and although I'm not privy to the figures, I doubt it'll cost the club anything due to the small numbers being purchased, plus we'll be raising money towards the Dale Roberts Memorial Trust.

The club is being run well, we're profitable, we're sustainable - we have a lot to be happy about - I personally don't see it as an issue. The main issue I have is that its been far too long since I've seen a football kicked, roll on tomorrow evening I say :D
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Brownie »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote:
mike wrote: As for stewards not getting to see the game other than fetching the ball, we watch 95% of it so may be we should introduce a £5 fine to any player that kicks the ball out the ground!
I think the "you kicked it, you fetched it rule" should apply
Good job this wasn't applied at NP or Jim Rodwell would have only been on the pitch for about 10mins a game :lol: though on the plus side one of our present squad may shift a few of those excess Kilos.
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

Oi mike, if you get to see 95% of the match you're not doing the job right, I'm having a word !! ;) :lol:

I got to see more of the Premier Inn car park than the D&D last season ;)
mike

Post by mike »

Pigman wrote:
Oi mike, if you get to see 95% of the match you're not doing the job right, I'm having a word !! ;) :lol:

I got to see more of the Premier Inn car park than the D&D last season ;)
Have you never wondered why me and my ginger accomplice go to the stand? :D
Membership number 268
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Brownie »

On a sensible note though. It would appear the club fan base may be outgrowing the volunteers base as a percentage, so rather than run the risk of something silly happening which could damage the Clubs reputation & bank balance measures need to be in place. Paid stewards may not be required every week or in any great number but the board are I feel correct in planning a provision for them. So off we go to R&H tomorrow on our best behaviour as probably no stewards at all there.
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

Well played Sir, well played :D (that was in reply to mike :oops: ).
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

Brownie wrote:On a sensible note though. It would appear the club fan base may be outgrowing the volunteers base as a percentage, so rather than run the risk of something silly happening which could damage the Clubs reputation & bank balance measures need to be in place. Paid stewards may not be required every week or in any great number but the board are I feel correct in planning a provision for them. So off we go to R&H tomorrow on our best behaviour as probably no stewards at all there.
I agree Brownie, remember folks, the Board have the responsibility to make sure things are in place, they're accountable !! We have to trust them to make the right decisions based on the information they have to hand. If we don't like what they do, then next year's AGM is the time to stand up and be counted, that is the beauty of our club and something we should be very proud of.
mike

Post by mike »

Pigman wrote:
Brownie wrote:On a sensible note though. It would appear the club fan base may be outgrowing the volunteers base as a percentage, so rather than run the risk of something silly happening which could damage the Clubs reputation & bank balance measures need to be in place. Paid stewards may not be required every week or in any great number but the board are I feel correct in planning a provision for them. So off we go to R&H tomorrow on our best behaviour as probably no stewards at all there.
I agree Brownie, remember folks, the Board have the responsibility to make sure things are in place, they're accountable !! We have to trust them to make the right decisions based on the information they have to hand. If we don't like what they do, then next year's AGM is the time to stand up and be counted, that is the beauty of our club and something we should be very proud of.
I agree as well, but I think discussions like this help peoples judgement and way of thinking maybe even the board will think twice now about taking people on and maybe just look into agency staff for a few games or just employ a ball boy
Membership number 268
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

At the end of the day it will only be a few games where paid stewards will be needed ( i believe that we had 2 or 3 for one of the whitworths game) but also in the snack bar there was volunteers working with paid staff