Returning to the Dog & Duck

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Re: Returning to the Dog & Duck

Post by rickthediamond »

This really isn’t intended as a critique of anyone, as everyone is entitled to do as they wish. I am curious as to why those who have supported the club for so long and are clearly a key stakeholder regarding the club’s potential relocation wouldn’t take the opportunity to sign up as a member at a reduced rate? Seems a no brainer to me, it’s vital that if you have an opinion on the subject matter of the SGM, that you give yourself an opportunity to vote and have a say in what happens!
Lee Tomlin la la la
Bobdiddly
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Bobdiddly »

Hi Rick. I have been a member and used to volunteer. my life has taken me away from the diamonds and continues to do so. I have only been to 2 games this season but intend to attend more in the future. I let my membership go but will renew it when I am able to support fully in the future. I could join now but to do so to vote on one issue doesn't seem right.
Like I said I support whatever decisions are made.
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

Bobdiddly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm Hi Rick. I have been a member and used to volunteer. my life has taken me away from the diamonds and continues to do so. I have only been to 2 games this season but intend to attend more in the future. I let my membership go but will renew it when I am able to support fully in the future. I could join now but to do so to vote on one issue doesn't seem right.
Like I said I support whatever decisions are made.
That's absolutely fair enough!
Lee Tomlin la la la
Cotty

Post by Cotty »

My reasons are mixed and admittedly somewhat illogical. I didn't really agree with member ownership as I feel this leads to cliques and certain parties having undue influence. I know we had some very dodgy owners in the past and the developments at other clubs like Reading, Bury and Torquay have only confirmed this but would we really turn away some Hollywood millionaire if they came a-knocking?
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

Cotty wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am My reasons are mixed and admittedly somewhat illogical. I didn't really agree with member ownership as I feel this leads to cliques and certain parties having undue influence. I know we had some very dodgy owners in the past and the developments at other clubs like Reading, Bury and Torquay have only confirmed this but would we really turn away some Hollywood millionaire if they came a-knocking?
There will be many who say that they would, but being completely honest, there’s no way personally that I would turn down any opportunity to rise back up to dizzy heights again.
Lee Tomlin la la la
Bobdiddly

Post by Bobdiddly »

I have had a chance to think this whole not being a member but having a say thing through. When we were at Raunds we were taking a step forward things weren't perfect but we had a team. Moving to the d&d was also a step forward, our time there was fun it was the right thing to do. However, it wasn't perfect there were issues with the pitch and the ground. Huge amounts of work was done by the board and the volunteers, I know cus I was one of them. Things improved but issues remained. When we moved back to rushden it was a huge step forward.
Clearly there are issues again, I have no idea what those issues are but they must be more than just the pitch to contemplate Moving back to the d&d. I can't see how a move could be anything other than a step backwards.
Being selfish here but where am I going to park my bloody car?
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Bobdiddly wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 pm I have had a chance to think this whole not being a member but having a say thing through. When we were at Raunds we were taking a step forward things weren't perfect but we had a team. Moving to the d&d was also a step forward, our time there was fun it was the right thing to do. However, it wasn't perfect there were issues with the pitch and the ground. Huge amounts of work was done by the board and the volunteers, I know cus I was one of them. Things improved but issues remained. When we moved back to rushden it was a huge step forward.
Clearly there are issues again, I have no idea what those issues are but they must be more than just the pitch to contemplate Moving back to the d&d. I can't see how a move could be anything other than a step backwards.
Being selfish here but where am I going to park my bloody car?
I'm interested to know in what way moving to Hayden Road was a huge step forward? I think we all thought it would be at the time, but attendances have dropped (even when we were doing well), the main stand is still unusable, the pitch is worse than the D&D pitch when we left, the bar isn't great, we can't sell alcohol from Dale's Bar, and we make no money from food or drink sales. The only positive I can see being at Hayden Road is that we're back in our home area of Rushden/Higham/Irthlingborough, but if that's not having a positive impact on the attendance then is it that important?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Bobdiddly

Post by Bobdiddly »

All good points to make.
To suggest that attendance would be higher at the d&d than at hayden Road is the only thing I would question.
rickthediamond

Post by rickthediamond »

Bobdiddly wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 pm All good points to make.
To suggest that attendance would be higher at the d&d than at hayden Road is the only thing I would question.
Average Attendances:
Dog & Duck
12/13 - 554 (promoted from step 6)
13/14 - 471
14/15 - 550 (champions of step 5)
15/16 - 457 (reached step 4 play offs)
16/17 - 466 (reached step 4 play offs)
Average over 5 seasons = 500
Hayden Road
17/18 - 502 (promoted from step 4)
18/19 - 562
19/20 - 458 (season didn’t finish)
20/21 - 377 (season didn’t finish)
21/22 - 424 (step 3 play off push)
22/23 - 343 (relegated)
23/24 - 383 (relegation scrap, season not yet finished)
Average over 7 seasons = 436

There are multiple variables to this, some being:
- 2 more seasons played at HR compared to D&D
- Impact of Covid on crowd numbers and the fact 2 seasons didn’t finish whilst at HR
- Relegated one year and relegation scrap the next year at HR

But also:
- Non league crowds have been increasing year on year recently (but not seemingly for us)
- Played our highest level of football at HR

& then there are all of the subjective things such as match day experience at D&D vs HR etc etc. Another thing that is objective that would have an impact on attendance would be the number of Tuesday night games at the D&D vs HR, but I can’t be bothered to work that out.

Make of the above what you will, but there is definitely more to it than simply suggesting that attendances will be better at the D&D. Objectively, you can say that they WERE better, but again - there’s loads of variables.
Lee Tomlin la la la
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

I'm assuming that with wellingborough likely to be promoted and the Dog n Duck not currently meeting ground grading standards that us moving there and bringing our stands & turnstiles would be probably why the proposed terms are favorable for us to move back there. ie. It's significantly cheaper for wellingborough to 'borrow' our gear than fork out on their own?? Which leads me to ask are we selling our assets or just hiring them to Wellingborough?? If so (either way) what are the financial benefits for Afc??