Lost [ Sat 6th Jan ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: [ Sat 6th Jan ] v Gresley Rovers, KO 3pm NPLD1M HOME

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Bar a miracle between now and the end of the season, that’s UCL football pretty much confirmed for next season. Could also have the embarrassment of the lowest points total in the history of the NPL.

An honest assessment from Shanks, he stood up and admitted it hasn’t been good enough, a team can have all the possession in the world, but we can’t do anything with it. At least Shanks had the decency not to stare at the floor avoiding eye contact, he was really hung out to dry by MH.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Yeah, that game needed an honest assessment afterwards, none of this 'the boys were fantastic' despite losing again that we get from Harriman, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but some of the comments from Shanks were interesting, particularly the comments about playing pretty football but not scoring, a subtle dig at Harriman?

Looking at how the team has developed over the past 10 games, it does seem that we may have focused on things like possession and passing on training as opposed to the basics that matter, not conceding goals and scoring them, as we have improved with the ball but where it matters in the box, we are no better, if anything we are worse at the back now.

And not to mention the fact it was the assistant and not the manager who did the interview after a dreadful game...

I would say get rid of Harriman and give Shanks the job until the end of the season and look for a permanent manager over the summer to help us rebuild in the UCL.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

GreekDiamond wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:05 am
sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:21 pm Disgraceful decision to interview Labour candidate and to draw politics into the club or can we expect Peter Bone to be interviewed on Tuesday,followed by the Greens, Reform and Lib Dems. As far as I am aware she has never been to a match,and probably never will again, pure electioneering. Shame on those responsible for this.
Calm down, it’s already been mentioned on Twitter that the other parties have been in contact, with visits planned. Not to mention it’s all to highlight what the club does in the community and might come in handy for the new home project and how the club can work together with the future MP of the area. Which I think would be pretty important don’t you!?
Sorry but that is just blatant electioneering. There was no mention of the new ground in that interview and there is nothing on the club twitter to invite other candidates. Whoever is MP for the area next month or next year has no influence, it will be local councillors who make local decisions. I'm only glad I live one mile outside the constituency and my support for AFCRD is not being used to promote any political party.
Matt.T
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Matt.T »

Hi Sussexdiamond, completely understand your point of view and respect it. The aim of the visits by candidates is to create a positive relationship whoever gains the seat.

I can confirm that candidates of all parties have been invited and the same processs will be followed on all. These discussions included the new ground, playing pitch strategy, the work done in the community, academy and how that links with Moulton College.

Furthermore, it was demonstrated to Gen that the majority of work done is by volunteers who support the club as a community benefit society in order to have a club where we can all come together to support and build for the future.

Over the last 15 months, we have also developed strong relationships with North Northants Council, again by demonstrating what we do and could do in the future. We had representatives from NNC yesterday present and have welcomed the Deputy Leader of NNC to the Legends event as well and from this we can help develop policies, infrastructure that not only help us as a club but hopefully increase our impact in the local area which can hopefully increase the fan base.

If you want to discuss in person further or via email just let me know I'd be delighted to help.

Best wishes,

Matt

Matt.taylor@afc-diamonds.com
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

On the political thing, I want to know who exactly has been invited please. A good idea to get them on board.
On the Manager front there's only 1 person we should be putting an approach in for (if we're changing) and that's Scott Carlin. He knows the UCL and has been a club man.
AFC R & D member number 34
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:21 pm Disgraceful decision to interview Labour candidate and to draw politics into the club or can we expect Peter Bone to be interviewed on Tuesday,followed by the Greens, Reform and Lib Dems. As far as I am aware she has never been to a match,and probably never will again, pure electioneering. Shame on those responsible for this.
Cast your mind back to the early days of AFCR&D.

A few factual corrections. Peter Bone has not, as yet, been declared as a candidate for any party and won't be for the Tories.

Given the reasons for the by-election Wellingborough is a key site. Bone knew he wouldn't not get elected for the last two elections so didn't bother campaigning, plus he hates football so any show by him would be ultra-electioneering.

Have you considered that trying to attract people who aren't regulars to the games might be a good thing?
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Since Peaks left it’s been an absolute shambles on the pitch.

Wrong appointments, I’m not counting Nunn in that as coming in after Burgess and Maxwell was always going to be hard.
As I’ve said before, I’ve got nothing but respect for the board, but they made the wrong decision in appointing Harriman, I wasn’t exactly enthused when he was announced as our manager after one good result, didn’t think anything would improve, seems that’s the case.

As has been said, Harriman should go, put Shanks in charge until the end of the season, I saw more passion from Shanks in three or four minutes in the post match interview than I’ve seen from Harriman since he was appointed. Assess the situation at the end of the season ready for the UCL.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

Well my 2 pentyworth, yep i remember 2 pennies used to get a few chews with that.

Firstly the Party Political broadcast, like all of them i never watch them whatever colour they may be so the interview will go the same , ignored.

Managers, sorry but Chris Nunn is as much to blame as the other since Peaks left and left us as soon as poss someone was willing to pay him, not that i blame him for that but to excuse him from our woes is wrong.

As for the Harriman, he is out of his comfort zone for this level, His tactics might work at a higher level with better players, Shanks might not want the job solo so unless he does we are stuck unless someone has a magical solution up their sleeve.

Yes i agree we need a Manager that knows the UCL like Scott Carlin going forward and i hope our Board are now going to start the process preparing for the UCL as barring a Miracle its UCL here we COME.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Lawman
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Lawman »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:08 am
Wrong appointments, I’m not counting Nunn in that as coming in after Burgess and Maxwell was always going to be hard.
What complete nonsense, you can't blame Nunn. This situation is completely down to Nunn. Pre season he wasn't interested in, just about scraping past sub standard opposition, no gelling of players. 11 games, zero points, defeated at the first hurdle of the FA Cup (One step below us) along with the FA Trophy. Mike and Tom are on catch up trying to attract players whilst bottom of the table. A near impossible task. We keep hearing about young players. Just look at Lye Town, can't afford the older experience players. Where are they in the league? and they develope players from their Academy.
Last edited by Lawman on Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Hope we are messaging the big man Carling today.